Login

On the analogue-style recording process.

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

On the analogue-style recording process.

Postby joshnur » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:32 am

Actually a very interesting article about the author's concept of Sonic Varnish, what he describes as the analogue tracking and mixing process can be helpful when you are building your own Nebula chains.

For instance, keep in mind that when people ran out of channels, they would bounce to tape again. Predictably, after a while, the multiple tape recordings would dull the high-end too so at the mixing or mastering stage, some forms of high-end EQs or exciters would be used to compensate.

http://www.farmelorecording.com/in-the- ... c-varnish/
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: On the analogue-style recording process.

Postby exrovite » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks for posting this link.
It has helped to answer some things I was thinking and made me see why getting that sound in my head is so illussive. I used to do some decoratting and it was intresting to see how walls coated with a few thin layers were definately preferable to walls with thicke coats which tended to look uneven and with lines. I am so glad I can do this with Nebula as I know I cannot afford the hadware.
exrovite
User Level II
User Level II

Postby faun2500 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 am

Nice, I read half and saved for later.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby scooter » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Honestly? I think somebody thinks too much...
-Scott
scooter

Postby babiuk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks for the article link.
I find it very interesting and very useful, I think it´s true that the pass through several gear gives that "vanish" wich is impossible to get by just recording and applying just the minimal instances. The bypass program given by alexb cooltec and a lot of michael "pass through" programs could be use for that. Maybe using a lot of passes like these could help to get a better signal.
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby faun2500 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:05 pm

I read the rest now and it is basically exactly what I do with nebula, I use loads and loads of instances of nebula (Preamps, tubes, tapes, consoles, eq & compressors) on mix and also an external analogue mixer too.

Love me some varnish!
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby CoolColJ » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Back in the 90s we tried to avoid as much analog devices as possible due to all the colouration, distortion, roll off and noise, how times change :lol:
CoolColJ
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby richie43 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:50 am

CoolColJ wrote:Back in the 90s we tried to avoid as much analog devices as possible due to all the colouration, distortion, roll off and noise, how times change :lol:

Yeah, I was deep in the analog audio world too. But I feel proud that back in the late 80's when people were trying to use less and less analog (and replace with that new fangled digital stuff) because of the build-up of "noise", I kept telling people that the build-up is what gives the music the desired warmth. So now here we are using digital emulations to give us the character, tones, and "noise" of that analog gear. As a guy with "analog ears" I actually think that Nebula can be better than analog, in a strange way. I have never yet had to halt a session because my Nebula instance suddenly developed bad pots, blown diode, ground loop, or shattered tube. And as the Neb technology gets more and more advanced, even my ears sometimes get fooled with actual A/B tests with Neb and hardware. I love it! More varnish and even a little lacquer :mrgreen: if needed!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Arne » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:49 am

Well, back then (eighties) we wanted consoles with less crosstalk, less tape hiss and we wanted more tracks available and more flexibility. Today, some plugins developers try to bring back to life crosstalk, tape hiss etc. as the BIG new thing, all the things we wanted to avoid in the past. Its a bit funny. However, what Nebula brings to market are the natural analoge vibe and character into the digital DAW world at an affordable price to most of us. This is for me a game changer as Nebula combined with libraries from CDSM`s, AITB, and AlexB`s provides a great analog platform to the DAW world.

Sometimes, less is more to provide the character and vibe of a track into a great mix.
Arne
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby richie43 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Arne wrote:Well, back then (eighties) we wanted consoles with less crosstalk, less tape hiss and we wanted more tracks available and more flexibility. Today, some plugins developers try to bring back to life crosstalk, tape hiss etc. as the BIG new thing, all the things we wanted to avoid in the past. Its a bit funny. However, what Nebula brings to market are the natural analoge vibe and character into the digital DAW world at an affordable price to most of us. This is for me a game changer as Nebula combined with libraries from CDSM`s, AITB, and AlexB`s provides a great analog platform to the DAW world.

Sometimes, less is more to provide the character and vibe of a track into a great mix.

My feelings exactly. Until Nebula came along, I was actually contemplating ditching digital audio and re-amassing a collection of analog gear.... Thank God for Nebula, I don't really have the space, patience, or money for that!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula