Login

Video Tutorial Online! Switching To TIMED Kernels

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Video Tutorial Online! Switching To TIMED Kernels

Postby RJHollins » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:16 am

I finally moved from the sidelines into the active arena of modding NEBULA Kern parameters.

Combined with this tutorial and the various discussions on the topic, I've been testing various libraries, along with comparative A/B'ing.

For my audio source, I've been pulling up several tracks from my 'Audiophile' collection. My initial testing is mostly on modded preamps, and listening to the sonic changes they do to this highly regarded masters.

Not ready to post a 'final conclusion', as there are several outstanding questions regarding the initial parameters that the library came in.

There is also a question as to procedure ... especially this:

I've NOT been saving my changes [via Nebula] as has been stated by others. I've modified a preset, and then save the project as a REAPER file. When I 're-load' the project, my modded settings are still there.
BTW ... I DID make a NEB Server duplicate and modded its' XLM file, so I have 2 versions to compare.

So ... I still 'hear' a difference ! Am I doing this right ... or is my imagination hearing things :|

Second issue ... and this is a ROYAL PITA !!!!

Specifically NEBULA on XP32-sp3 ... has crashed so many times just clicking on the KERN button ... it is ridiculous :evil: After, maybe 6 or 7 crashes like this ... then FINALLY it starts to let me edit that screen.

NOTE ... I've already shipped my NEBULA package up to 'E', and he went through it and fixed things from whatever my original, un-modded' install was.

I'm running the 'TIMED' version as a 'dedicated process' in REAPER just so that only the plug will crash.

'G' ... I've read your latest posting ... know you're busy ... know you've burnt out a NEB dev ... but please, this is tough to deal with in a commercial environment, and extremely NON-productive!
[also ... the graphic crashing of NAT and not being able to spread the interface across dual screens.]
oh ... and I'm not gonna mention the garbled numbers in NEB's fader section :twisted: :lol:

alright ...sorry for sidetrack rant !

Later, I'd like to discuss interpreting the original Kern settings and how to apply them to the TIME mod.

Don't know if this is the proper thread for that ?

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:55 pm

THANK YOU everyone for your kind words! :D I am very happy people are finding it useful.

I will reply to people's posts:
RJHollins wrote:Can you supply the original, unaltered audio clip along with the 2 processed files ?

There is NO question that the 2 processed clips have significant differences, but without the original audio to compare, it is not a complete test.

My intention was for people to only focus on the difference between the TIMED and the FREQD versions, so that's why i didn't include the original. I don't think the choice of preamp was the best for the source, its just it worked well for the example.

I have uploaded the untouched source for your listening pleasure:

http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/blog/w ... a_Loop.zip

but won't update the article as i still think it would distract people from the goal.

piperboy wrote:Great job man! I wish you would consider writing a good manual for Nebula

Lol! I am very flattered, that would be a seriously big job. I am happy to take on any paid work i am offered ;)

timp wrote:If you want higher quality again you should be using lower buffer settings ,if say you go from 512 samples to 128 you can hear a big leap in quality again

This is very interesting, I would LOVE to hear from giancarlo on the subject.

Could you make any example sound files? You are welcome to use my untouched bongo loop i just posted to keep things consistent.

Anyone ready yet to comment on the differences between the TIMED and FREQD examples from my blog post?
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby tbentley » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Timed really changes the sound. sounds punchier.
tbentley
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 am

it's a good tutorial, david! seems to pretty much cover all of the important angles on the topic, and so if anyone is confused about the whole timed/freqd mode thing, they should check this out.
good job!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:40 am

Yeah.. thanks for that! Very good stuff for nebula beginners.. I remebmer how angry I got (many times) before I finally accidentally found that those little arrows switch the modes.. took me a while.. 8-)
lipa

Postby Henry Olonga » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for this. I had never ventured into the timed vs freq'd waters but this makes it quite easy to grasp so thanks for the vid. :D
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby alexgg » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:28 pm

hi
thanks for the tutorial.
i am trying this out right now.
i am finding that when i set clean kernel to timed my cpu goes into overload anything > 40ms !
i am wondering if there is any suggested minimum TIMED setting for this to improve and not lower audio quality ?
My FREQD were set to 25ms , is replicating this 25ms as TIMED setting advisable ?
rgds
alex
alexgg
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby young.baws » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 pm

alexgg wrote:hi
thanks for the tutorial.
i am trying this out right now.
i am finding that when i set clean kernel to timed my cpu goes into overload anything > 40ms !
i am wondering if there is any suggested minimum TIMED setting for this to improve and not lower audio quality ?
My FREQD were set to 25ms , is replicating this 25ms as TIMED setting advisable ?
rgds
alex

hey

I think is better to have a max timed mode. the sound is better that way.

--

I just found out that if you leave the clean kernel on freq mode, and change the even and odd kernel to timed mode (max ms), the sound is more defined (punch) and you have the same freq response as the original patch.

but if you put the clean + even + odd kernels on timed mode, you loose a lot of low freq.

peace!
young.baws
User Level III
User Level III

Postby david1103 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:20 pm

if you put the clean + even + odd kernels on timed mode, you loose a lot of low freq.

Sounds like your TIMED CLEAN kernel length is too low if you are loosing low frequencies.

Also, don't have ODD and EVEN kernels both on TIMED at the same time or a bug occurs and aliasing happens.

I suggest a minimum CLEAN TIMED kernel length of 50ms if the original FREQD is this or higher, but this is not a golden rule, depends on the program.

It is easy to hear the low bass dispensary when you lower it too much. If your original FREQD length is 25 then there is no sense in going higher than that as there is nothing there and you would be wasting CPU for nothing.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby young.baws » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:56 am

david1103 wrote:
if you put the clean + even + odd kernels on timed mode, you loose a lot of low freq.

Sounds like your TIMED CLEAN kernel length is too low if you are loosing low frequencies.

Also, don't have ODD and EVEN kernels both on TIMED at the same time or a bug occurs and aliasing happens.

Oh yeah thanks!

I've set the clean kernel on timed mode, the ms at the right setting also, for this case 50ms (it was a preamp using 50ms for the freq mode, so I modified the xml filed as you mentioned)

I have a better quality for sure.

Thanks again,

Peace
young.baws
User Level III
User Level III

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula