Login

meters don't seem to be working like they did

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

meters don't seem to be working like they did

Postby Cupwise » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:39 pm

i recently got a new computer. since installing everything on it, i've noticed that the meters in Nebula don't seem to be working like they used to on my old pc.

the needle doesn't go near 0dbvu unless i send in a signal that's well over 0dbfs. it can't be right. i remember on my old pc, being able to use 'trim' control with programs that had it, and adjust that until the needle gets close to 0dbvu on nebs meters, just as a general idea. now i have to crank it way farther than i should.

i'm guessing that somehow i messed something up in nebula's settings. anyone have any ideas?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: meters don't seem to be working like they did

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 am

What metering do you have Nebula set to? They're all a little different, I noticed that when I was theming.
ETA
Actually since I don't know what your meters were set to before...I probably should have just asked if you had checked to see that you're in the same metering mode that you were in before on the old setup.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Re: meters don't seem to be working like they did

Postby Cupwise » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:35 pm

ngarjuna wrote:What metering do you have Nebula set to? They're all a little different, I noticed that when I was theming.
ETA
Actually since I don't know what your meters were set to before...I probably should have just asked if you had checked to see that you're in the same metering mode that you were in before on the old setup.

hmm.. sorry, i got wrapped up in other stuff and totally forgot that i posted this question! i just tested neb meters again, and actually got results more like i would expect. i tested with some of my own stuff, which sometimes uses input padding, and i made sure to use 'trim' to add an equal level of input gain to counteract that. the meters responded like they should this time. i would think that i would have been aware of possible padinput settings last time, when i created this thread. so i don't know, i guess it could have slipped my mind though. i do also have several nebulas with different configs so i'm going to have to go through them all i guess. really seemed like i was boosting a LOT to get close to 0dbvu (back when i had the problem).

anyway, i just saw your desk skins post in the skins sub-forum. to answer your question my setting was at RMS17, but i switched to VU and set my gui rate as per your suggestions in that other thread of yours. you do seem to be the resident expert on meters. ;)
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula