Login

Let's be honest! We really need a rtas version

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Let's be honest! We really need a rtas version

Postby elam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:10 pm

OK I hate to sound like a fake pastor but, really...

Give a new try to the last Reaper version 4.02.

Do it,it's light on your system,non intrusive (i.e: if you uninstall it it will not leave all kind of shit on your system),if you fear for the "cleaness" of your system you can even install it on USB key.

NOW load some Nebula 2 instances.Check the sound quality,the system stability and the number of instances you can load before it start to bug out.

It will take you a couple of minutes (basically the time for reaper to "read" your plugin folder).

NOW really,tell us about the difference btw. PT and Reaper.I'll not discuss the "sound differences" ;) here or anywhere else ;) .

PS: True story,last week one of my friend (a big ass Reggae producer) got an ilock issue (PT of course)in the middle of an important delivery.I ask him to do the same during the time he was waiting for his system to be fix.He did it.Next thing, he yell on me and ask why I didn't told him about Reaper earlier ! (and he don't use Nebula!)
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby noiZefloor » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:13 pm

WTF is going on? I just would like to use nebula. I don't want to switch to another DAW. I am happy with PT and if nebula only comes bundled with reaper or whatever it seems to be not for me. It's like owning a tire and buying a Car that fits. PT may die, but it's still the standard. Maybe PT doesn't deserve to be the standard, but a client will notice the latency of another DAW even if there is no latency. There are many other silly reasons, but that's just how it is.

Ok, now as everyone is free to use what ever he wants to produce music it would still be a goal for everyone if there would be rtas version of nebula. PT is still a big market, especially now as they just released a good native version. If Acustica would be a part of this market they would sell more copies, earn more $$$ and spend more $$$ in more development. The same applies to 3rd party developers.
noiZefloor
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:57 pm

noiZefloor wrote:WTF is going on? I just would like to use nebula. I don't want to switch to another DAW. I am happy with PT and if nebula only comes bundled with reaper or whatever it seems to be not for me. It's like owning a tire and buying a Car that fits. PT may die, but it's still the standard. Maybe PT doesn't deserve to be the standard, but a client will notice the latency of another DAW even if there is no latency. There are many other silly reasons, but that's just how it is.

Ok, now as everyone is free to use what ever he wants to produce music it would still be a goal for everyone if there would be rtas version of nebula. PT is still a big market, especially now as they just released a good native version. If Acustica would be a part of this market they would sell more copies, earn more $$$ and spend more $$$ in more development. The same applies to 3rd party developers.

If you're happy with PT then obviously it's the right host for you. I don't think anyone would necessarily dispute that.

As for other reasons (the standard, customers expect, etc) those are becoming increasingly irrelevant. It has been a few years already since PT was absolutely required; let's be real, anyone who's shelling out very big bucks for a very fancy recording isn't going to be blown away by anything Digi (and will likely be asking you questions about your bias/calibration not which DAW you're using). Another relevant question would be: how many of these high end studios are even interested in gear emulation? Guys with N**e consoles don't need console emus; guys with MT1000s don't need R2R; guys with racks full of 1176 channels might not be overcome with joy at a brilliant emu like the Stripe76. It's a different market.

Considering the licensing overhead involved in getting into the RTAS market, the small number of units Nebula could sell (even if you count all those Pro Tools rigs out there, which there are still quite a few of) might not be anywhere near cost effective. Without some serious numbers (not just how many RTAS users would love to see a Nebula version but, more importantly, how many users have currently NOT bought Acustica products but would if there were an RTAS version) I think this is premature.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:08 pm

Very well put. I hope everyone reads this.
ngarjuna wrote:If you're happy with PT then obviously it's the right host for you. I don't think anyone would necessarily dispute that.

As for other reasons (the standard, customers expect, etc) those are becoming increasingly irrelevant. It has been a few years already since PT was absolutely required; let's be real, anyone who's shelling out very big bucks for a very fancy recording isn't going to be blown away by anything Digi (and will likely be asking you questions about your bias/calibration not which DAW you're using). Another relevant question would be: how many of these high end studios are even interested in gear emulation? Guys with N**e consoles don't need console emus; guys with MT1000s don't need R2R; guys with racks full of 1176 channels might not be overcome with joy at a brilliant emu like the Stripe76. It's a different market.

Considering the licensing overhead involved in getting into the RTAS market, the small number of units Nebula could sell (even if you count all those Pro Tools rigs out there, which there are still quite a few of) might not be anywhere near cost effective. Without some serious numbers (not just how many RTAS users would love to see a Nebula version but, more importantly, how many users have currently NOT bought Acustica products but would if there were an RTAS version) I think this is premature.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby wakevortex » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Yes all good stuff , but Nebula currently does NOT work wrapped on the latest version of protools running Lion OSX ( 9.0.5) so until that is fixed all this is kinda pointless!

As for jumping ship to another DAW, get real guys... some of us have thousands of pounds invested in Protools cards and hardware...are you going to buy it from me to jump to Reaper?

:-)

BP
wakevortex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby noiZefloor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:59 am

The guys who own hardware would love to go for a good emulation. The reason is, that you load your session and you are exactly where you have been. In this times we've got to offer the possibility to make changes to the mix without spending a whole day for a new mix. Of cause there are guys who still record on tape and volunteers who are going for something new like reaper, but most of us are still in between. Who knows what will be the next standard? Reaper? PT Native? Some Android based DAW?

The point is, enriquesilveti just mentioned that would maybe release a rtas version, if they would get a rtas sdk from Avid
noiZefloor
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby elam » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:53 am

It wasn't a DAW war,just a couple of thoughts ...

As for your OP,I think that you got the answer since the 1st post :

enriquesilveti wrote:We request several times RTAS development kit, but AVID NEVER replay us.

Good luck for everything...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby joshnur » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:40 am

PT sounds very, very good, both on Audio and everything having to do with their AIR plugins, be they the effects or the instruments - XPander2 for instance has a very beautiful modern sound.

On the other hand... I cannot remember having that many issues with a Sequencer or DAW. Something I wouldn't have expected on a Mac especially.

Too many issues, DAE this, DAE that, sometimes it works, after a while it stops working, when all I wanted is something solid enough for me to compose in, arrange, mix and master. It's frustrating.
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby cj01djs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 pm

I work in Pro Tools on some projects but the problem is not with Nebula because everybody knows that Nebula induce latency and Pro Tools can handle only 2048 samples per channel and it's not enough for nebula.U can tweak the master page on nebula but it's not stable so the answer is not only on the Nebula part.Reaper is very friendly on the mixing stage and very solid with Nebula,for the moment i think is the best if u wanna work with Nebula and the sound of Reaper is solid enough to mix very well.I know that are some rtas fx that are very good but on the other part there are a lot of nebula programs that sound awesome.So is everybody's choice.
Happy mixing.
cj01djs
User Level II
User Level II

Postby steve36 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong,but can't Reaper be connected to ProTools using 'Rearoute'...? By doing this you could use Reaper as a kind of host for Nebula (send the track in Reaper with Nebula on it into a ProTools Aux channel)...minimise Reaper,forget it's there,and use ProTools as you normally would.Reaper handles the delay compensation...You mix in 'Tools.Anybody tried this...?

Steve
steve36
User Level II
User Level II

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula