Login

Nebula libraries installed on separate SSD?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula libraries installed on separate SSD?

Postby Vernon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:45 pm

richie43 wrote:That's basically my config as well, and it works great!

Are c, d, e on different phisical disks or are partitioned drives of the same disk?
Vernon
User Level III
User Level III

Postby richie43 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Mine are on separate physical HD's. Partitioning a single HD may help, but the real performance boost comes from having dedicated HD's.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:11 pm

richie43 wrote:Mine are on separate physical HD's. Partitioning a single HD may help, but the real performance boost comes from having dedicated HD's.

Thanks Richie. ANy pointers on how to move the library folders and updating the XML, because I'd like to pull them off of my OS drive and on to the Samples drive?

Thank you
-Scott
scooter

Postby richie43 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:32 pm

I know that the fail-safe way would be to do a thorough un-install of Nebula (not the libraries), move the library files, and re-install Nebula and point it to the new location. That SHOULD work.... but before you do that, try just moving them and change the "datapath" entry in your XML to reflect the new location. Make sure that you don't add or subtract any extra spaces, these XML's are in a specific format. To be safe, make a copy of the current XML and put it in another location on a drive, in case you need to revert again. Also, remember to edit BOTH XML's, there are 2 (4 if you are using both 32 and 64bit, like me!). See attachment. Good luck!
Attachments
XML.png
XML.png (108.38 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby jrasia » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Vernon wrote:Are c, d, e on different phisical disks or are partitioned drives of the same disk?

Yes, they are all phisical separate drives.
jrasia
User Level II
User Level II

Postby mt_suszycki » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Couple of weeks ago I finished building my desktop i7 2600k PC as a replacement for dual core laptop. As jelmet mentioned in 'benchmarking hackintosh' thread i7 is really a monster. It's unbelievable, no matter what I throw at it, it will take it without problems, lots of NI, EastWest, Nebula console, EQ tracks etc. no track freezing. Definitely it has limits but I didn't reach them yet. But this is off topic.
One tip abut SDD that could be useful for anyone building a PC: by pure coincidence I stumbled upon Asus P8z68-v motherboard and used it in my PC.
This mobo is great, lots of ports, SATA3 (6Gb/), USB 3 etc. and it also supports something they call Smart Response Technology. Basically this is a SSD drive that acts like a cache for a 'normal' drive.
I have got 500GB Hybrid Seagate (that has 4GB SSD chip on it) as OS drive (pretty quick once all .dlls and OS files get cached in the internal SSD), one 1TB WD as a data drive and one 60GB OCZ SSD which is a cache for WD. SSD is not visible as a separate letter in Win7, it's just acting as a transparent cache for WD. Mobo needs to supports this and OS as well (I run Win7 64bit). This setup really works for me, as most of the things from data drive easily fits on 60GB SSD, so most of the time I'm loading projects directly from SSD. If I use some other library then after one read it is stored in SSD and will load amazingly fast since then. I think it's a good option (especially considering SSD price) unless somebody uses so many libraries that they won't fit in 60GB ssd cache (of course you can use any SSD with this mobo, the only 'limitation' is that it needs to be bigger than 20GB).
mt_suszycki
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby scooter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:42 am

Hmmm thanks for trying but this doesn't work in OSx
Anyone else?

richie43 wrote:I know that the fail-safe way would be to do a thorough un-install of Nebula (not the libraries), move the library files, and re-install Nebula and point it to the new location. That SHOULD work.... but before you do that, try just moving them and change the "datapath" entry in your XML to reflect the new location. Make sure that you don't add or subtract any extra spaces, these XML's are in a specific format. To be safe, make a copy of the current XML and put it in another location on a drive, in case you need to revert again. Also, remember to edit BOTH XML's, there are 2 (4 if you are using both 32 and 64bit, like me!). See attachment. Good luck!
-Scott
scooter

Postby jelmet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:24 pm

I've just built a i7 2600K to run OS X on it and I used an OCZ 120 Sata3 (forgot the model name) and it has my OS, DAW, Plugs AND Nebula programs.
I don't know if it's a whole system thing, but it loads Nebula programs a lot faster than my old system (Q6600 with a 160 Sata2 7200 16mb buffer system/DAW/Nebula drive).
If I can guess... I would say do not spend the money to have a SSD just for Nebula...
jelmet
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula