Login

How many Nebula plugins can be instantiated?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

How many Nebula plugins can be instantiated?

Postby Rich123 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:18 am

I'd like to have 40+ Nebula plugins instantiated at once to create a live virtual analog studio (console, outboard gear, tape machine ...).

My 2010 i7 core PC can load 25 Nebula plugins with any program loaded into them. With a second fast machine to spread the wealth, I thought this might be doable.

The problem is, as my library grows instantiating a Nebula plugin gets progressively slower. I now have 4,000 programs & vectors and it takes 15 seconds for a Nebula plugin to scan the library before I can use it. To have 40+ Nebula plugins scan a large library might take 10 minutes or longer!

Has anyone had success doing this type of thing?
Rich123
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: How many Nebula plugins can be instantiated?

Postby Vando » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Try Zabukowski's Nebula Set-Ups.

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=43

You can build your own tailor made Nebulas that include only the programs you want. Loading time is very fast and it's a free tool.
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby richie43 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Vando wrote:Try Zabukowski's Nebula Set-Ups.

http://zabukowski.com/software/?page_id=43

You can build your own tailor made Nebulas that include only the programs you want. Loading time is very fast and it's a free tool.

Nebula Set-ups is an amazing tool. Until I had discovered it, I had concocted a crazy method where I would have many (MANY!) separate "min-Neb" folders with their own project and vector folders, and I would need to basically "license" each one by running the license file. It worked great, but every time I either purchased a new library or even "worse" (lol :lol: ), when I had to update Nebula, it was a huge hassle. Updating is still a chore, but I have gotten quite fast at that, and now all of my libraries are back in one main (huge...) folder and I have close to 30 specific instances to choose from. And they load lightening fast. One tip that I have learned from this though: If you have a second DAW, like a mobile rig, for instance, take the time to create the same Nebula instances with this little app so moving between DAWs is simple.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Rich123 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Where do I install Nebula Setups? (I'm on a Windows 7 machine)
Can't find any literature on it.
Rich123
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mitch » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 am

One other thing that helps fastening the Nebula programms loading time is having an SSD Hard drive for the system, and put your programms/vectors there, or have a second SSD hard drive for your programms/verctors...

SSD storage is pretty expensive, but it is worth the expense, IMHO.

I have that, and it still takes time loading a project with lots of Nebula plugins in it, maybe 3 to 4 minutes, but ... hey!
How long does it take to patch a complete console and to recall the settings from the last tine you mixed this particular song? :shock:

Cheers!
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby richie43 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:32 am

Rich123 wrote:Where do I install Nebula Setups? (I'm on a Windows 7 machine)
Can't find any literature on it.

You can put this anywhere you want, and just link to the exe short-cut. This program does not depend on any specific installation location.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:40 pm

The problem is, as my library grows instantiating a Nebula plugin gets progressively slower.

i think people are talking about 2 separate issues here, loading an empty nebula and loading a program.

sometimes an empty nebula is forced to re-scan the library every time it loads for no good reason. I think it relates to file permissions inside the program files/plugin directory. It won't let a certain file update to tell nebula it doesn't need to scan every time. It kind of never 100% installs properly.

also there is a setting that tells nebula to scan or not scan at start-up on the mast page.

i see you are using windows 7. that is infamous for fiddly file permissions, you need a BA in system administration to get your head around it :?

sorry i can't be more specific, I am on my non music laptop and can't see the files in question.

If an empty instance of nebula takes 15 seconds to load then you have the problem I am talking about!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:22 pm

mitch wrote:One other thing that helps fastening the Nebula programms loading time is having an SSD Hard drive for the system, and put your programms/vectors there, or have a second SSD hard drive for your programms/verctors...

SSD storage is pretty expensive, but it is worth the expense, IMHO.

I have that, and it still takes time loading a project with lots of Nebula plugins in it, maybe 3 to 4 minutes, but ... hey!
How long does it take to patch a complete console and to recall the settings from the last tine you mixed this particular song? :shock:

Cheers!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=558

Parameter name: Scan on boot
Description: If enabled, Nebula will look for new programs when initialized.
MAST page name: BOOT
Master .XML name: SCANBOOT
Factory value (in Master .XML): 1
Guru extra information: When scan on boot in enable ~scanboot.xml file is written in Nebulatemprepository\Setups folder

Parameter name: Boot priority
Description: If disabled Nebula will load slower, at a suboptimal rate, and the built-in diagnostic steps will be visible. The diagnostic will be launched at start-up time, every time the plug-in is loaded.
MAST page name: LOADER PR
Master .XML name: LOADERPRIORITY
Factory value (in Master .XML): 3
Guru extra information: This parameter is used for troubleshooting.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula