Login

Install older version of Nebula?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Install older version of Nebula?

Postby edbilleaud » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:25 pm

Recently did an install of new version of Nebula, now it chokes the computer (Macpro 8 core) to a halt, even on projects that used to run easily. My question is: can I install a previous version "over" the existing one by simply running the older install package? Or do I have to delete something first?
I was told to post the xml file, not really sure what that is. Frankly, would prefer not to. Never had to do that with any of the dozens of other plug-ins I own, and don't know how to do that.
edbilleaud
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: Install older version of Nebula?

Postby edbilleaud » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Just wanted to add a couple of things: I have unzipped and re-installed an older version of Nebula on my laptop, and hope to test it enough to confirm that it will work on my studio machine, the macpro, so I don't mess anything up on that system.
Two, despite my reticence to spend time troubleshooting computer issues, I will take the time to say that I recognize and am grateful for the genius behind Nebula. It is certainly in many ways the best sounding plug in I have ever heard. I just want to be able to use it without issues.
edbilleaud
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby RJHollins » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:31 am

maybe this may help ...

IF you did a re-install ... 2 things may have happened.

1st ... you authorization file [.ser] , or whatever
they call it for the MACs, may not be there. So you
may need to get your .ser file back in there.

2nd ... some changes where made to the latest NEBULA
configuration file that were setup for a more powerful
computer. So you may need to change a couple of the
settings to get back to a smooth working situation.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 am

edbilleaud wrote:Just wanted to add a couple of things: I have unzipped and re-installed an older version of Nebula on my laptop, and hope to test it enough to confirm that it will work on my studio machine, the macpro, so I don't mess anything up on that system.
Two, despite my reticence to spend time troubleshooting computer issues, I will take the time to say that I recognize and am grateful for the genius behind Nebula. It is certainly in many ways the best sounding plug in I have ever heard. I just want to be able to use it without issues.

Hello edbilleaud. Last version of Nebula update some MAST page parameters. DSP Buffer now is linked on first run to the ASIO buffer, so if you are running your DAW ring in 512 or less ASIO buffer sometime you can hear noise and dropout. We were working a lot into Nebula perfomance but in my DAW ring I must change 512 to 2048.

Due this change we update MAST page F.A.Q.: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic and release The Nebula tip of the month (#24 - August 2011): http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby edbilleaud » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:17 pm

RJHollins wrote:maybe this may help ...

IF you did a re-install ... 2 things may have happened.

1st ... you authorization file [.ser] , or whatever
they call it for the MACs, may not be there. So you
may need to get your .ser file back in there.

2nd ... some changes where made to the latest NEBULA
configuration file that were setup for a more powerful
computer. So you may need to change a couple of the
settings to get back to a smooth working situation.

Thank you RJ for trying to help. 1. I guess my ser file is still there since after installing an older version I still have Nebula (on my laptop.
2. Yes, perhaps, but how am I supposed to know exactly what to change? But thanks again, your kindness is appreciated.
edbilleaud
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby edbilleaud » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:27 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:
edbilleaud wrote:Just wanted to add a couple of things: I have unzipped and re-installed an older version of Nebula on my laptop, and hope to test it enough to confirm that it will work on my studio machine, the macpro, so I don't mess anything up on that system.

Hello edbilleaud. Last version of Nebula update some MAST page parameters. DSP Buffer now is linked on first run to the ASIO buffer, so if you are running your DAW ring in 512 or less ASIO buffer sometime you can hear noise and dropout. We were working a lot into Nebula perfomance but in my DAW ring I must change 512 to 2048.

Due this change we update MAST page F.A.Q.: http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic and release The Nebula tip of the month (#24 - August 2011): http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

Hello Enrique, and thank you for your reply. Noise is not my issue. I am running at a 1028 buffer in Logic 9.x, Mac OSX.5.x, at 24/96.
The problem is that with more than one or two instances of Nebula, the projects crash immediately. I used to be able to use many instances of nebula without a problem. So I re-installed an older version of Nebula, on my laptop at least, and it seems to at least be working, although with the older bugs from the older version. I am afraid to do the re-install of the older version on my studio machine in case it screws something up. I went to the MAST page update you linked, but honestly that is way more information than I want to delve into. I appreciate you trying to help me, but what I really want is either A: a new version of Nebula that works properly, or B: confirmation that it is OK to simply run the older installer and get back to a Nebula that does work. Am I OK to do B? because I can live with that, although less than ideal. Or do I need to try something else? Remember, unlike you, I do not enjoy computer programming, and it is quite a burden for me. I respect and am grateful for your facility in this area, but my strengths are different, and I need to be able to simply instantiate a working product, then use my ears, not my brain. If that makes sense. Thanks.
edbilleaud
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Return to Working with Nebula