Login

Nebula Crash Protools 9.0.5 and OSX Lion

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula Crash Protools 9.0.5 and OSX Lion

Postby wakevortex » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Dream

how are you making this work?

I assume you have a wrapped Rtas Nebula?
And it runs inside PT9.0.5 ?

Its a no go here , crashes PT for me
Also using Nebula 1.499n

thats weird!

BP
wakevortex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby dream » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 pm

wakevortex wrote:Dream

how are you making this work?

I don't know! :lol:

wakevortex wrote:I assume you have a wrapped Rtas Nebula?
And it runs inside PT9.0.5 ?

Its a no go here , crashes PT for me
Also using Nebula 1.499n

You assume right, wrapper v 2.1, PT 9.0.5, Nebula 1.499n server, Lion 10.7.1, Nebula's library on external hard disk, mac book pro (the last before thunderbolt).

I've realized only now I have the same issue described above with OS X 10.6.8, when I open PT the Nebula's parameters are cleared.
I'm learning PT so I'm not using it too much, I'm usually on Cubase.
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
dream

Postby wakevortex » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:02 pm

Very strange..pretty much the same here , but nothing will make it not crash PT !!

weird.....

BP
wakevortex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby wakevortex » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:41 am

Just checking if you plan to try to fix this crashing in the wrapped version of Nebula RTAS under OSX LION..
It has made nebula unusable for me , as I mix in Protools (but sequence in Ableton- where the vst DOES work)

I would REALLY appreciate any info on this , as I really miss Nebula at the mix stage , and really don't want to have to use another DAW just to get nebula to work

many thanks!

Bill P
wakevortex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby giancarlo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:35 pm

hi we don't have protools for testing and lion for testing too. Both of them are not supported officially. Anyway the plug is compliant with vst specifications and we are improving it on this side
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby wakevortex » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks Giancarlo

oh dear..looks like my nebula is dead in protools then ..disappointing !
if you have any ideas how I can get round the problem, please let me know
I had no real choice but to go to Lion as my Mac was preinstalled with it and going back made no real sense....

hopefully someone can help get this working !

thanks

Bill P
wakevortex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby joshnur » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:01 am

Giancarlo, come stai?

I do have Pro Tools and Lion on my MacBook Pro, and willing to help you on the development front too (mostly optimization if possible & testing), so do let me know what can I do.

Of course, I have a personal interest in getting it to work flawlessly in Pro Tools as I own it, but PT is also the industry standard in studios, so it's going to be a great thing for Nebula to work well with PT.

However, seeing how Digidesign and now Avid/Digidesign can be slow on so many things, it's not going to be easy.

giancarlo wrote:hi we don't have protools for testing and lion for testing too. Both of them are not supported officially. Anyway the plug is compliant with vst specifications and we are improving it on this side
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby joshnur » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:09 am

wakevortex wrote:I know this protools version (9.0.5) is still a beta to make it run on LION osx...

For me, that's the whole fundamental issue: Pro Tools 9.0.5 is just a beta for Mac OS X Lion. That means, you should be testing it if you want on a separate machine or virtual machine, but not expect anything to work well in a production environment.

Expecting Nebula to be patched for a beta application is unrealistic IMO. On the other hand, when Avid qualifies PT 9 to work on Lion, then I do think it would be very worthwhile for Nebula to work well with it.
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby wakevortex » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:38 am

Joshnur

as I mentioned my mac came preinstalled with Lion, and going back to Snow Leopard was quite a pain... I didn't do it by choice !!!

I do in fact have a dual boot of SL/PT as backup , but rebooting into another version of protools is crazy just to use Nebula , as I use a LOT of plugs and 95% of them work fine with 9.0.5 - in fact there are only 3 I use that don't..Altiverb,Satson, and Nebula.

I don't EXPECT Nebula to be patched for a beta application, I was merely asking if it were possible to get a workaround of some sort.

And if you know protools, waiting for OFFICIAL support for Lion could take anything up to a year or more ! - Ive been with Digi/Avid products since 1996,and know the situation well !

I live in hope :-)

BP
wakevortex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby joshnur » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Your workaround is to revert back to a version of Pro Tools which is qualified to work on Lion if you are bent on using Lion (note that Lion is still very young) if such a thing exists (not sure at all if there's one) and try Nebula with that one. If not, your best bet is to have a partition of Snow Leopard with PT 9.

Since you know Digidesign/Avid, you also know that you shouldn't be using a beta version for production, only testing.

Have you tried previous versions, e.g. Pro Tools 8 on Mac OS X Lion?

I have an M-Powered version 8 which appears to work well on minimal testing, but I do not use it for production: my production system is PT 8 on Snow Leopard. This is officially known to be stable, so my expectations are realistic with these.

wakevortex wrote:as I use a LOT of plugs and 95% of them work fine with 9.0.5 - in fact there are only 3 I use that don't. Altiverb,Satson, and Nebula.

I don't EXPECT Nebula to be patched for a beta application, I was merely asking if it were possible to get a workaround of some sort.

And if you know protools, waiting for OFFICIAL support for Lion could take anything up to a year or more ! - Ive been with Digi/Avid products since 1996,and know the situation well !
joshnur
User Level IV
User Level IV

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula