Login

Nebula Crash Protools 9.0.5 and OSX Lion

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula Crash Protools 9.0.5 and OSX Lion

Postby cpwade » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:27 am

ok... RTAS does work though, on both rigs.

Lion/humble MPB/PT 8.5LE/neb 499n server/ FX wrapper 2.01
SnoLeo/quad core big rig/PTHD9/neb 499n server/ FX wrapper 2.01

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe it's because I take the girls out to dinner once in a while.. :shock:

G- I don't blame you and I'd wait until 10.7.5. One could potentially chase around updates with one's time, or stay focused on the core project. The choice is obvious.
Attachments
grab1.jpg
grab1.jpg (99.06 KiB) Viewed 715 times
cpwade

Postby dream » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:21 am

cpwade wrote:maybe it's because I take the girls out to dinner once in a while..

I'm gonna install the same your update! :D

I think I have time to try Nebula on Lion (installed on external hard drive) at the end of this week, I hope to be lucky too.
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
dream

Postby cpwade » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:55 am

In Giancarlo's defense:

Avid, Acustica Audio, FXpansion, Apple all great companies.

I have shown that RTAS wrapper works on both Lion and Leo in PT 8.5 and 9.03 and that Nebula is solid code and rides the wave for better or for worse.

I'm curious as to why the blame is thrown at Nebula for "not working" whilst trying operate without blemishes on Avid's 9.05 "patch" is flawed logic. Avid is clearly trying to keep up with Apple's "innovations". The 9.05 patch is broken and buggy. Spend some time on the DUC and that will be clear, and in my humble opinion, never assume that a big company that hastily releases an update will not be without problems. I play it safe and run established code on Lion, PT 8.5. I'd like to advise that as a fix, and suggest to not dump it in Giancarlo's lap. Blaming in haste in not supportive, respectful nor productive.

If I can be of assistance in any way please PM me. Deleting PT prefs and rebuilding permissions is a great start. You never mentioned RAM.

Once you get it running, and I hope that you can without further frustrations (I had plenty, but not because of neb or the wrapper..they fired right up on both systems).

Enjoy the time window! One of the four companies will update (PT 10 will be amazing on many levels)
and something else will break. It's progress. (yikes!)

Now imagine being a developer in that kind of environment.
Now, tell me how I can help you?

Paul
cpwade

Postby wakevortex » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:15 am

Hi Paul

so you are running wrapped RTAS versions of Nebula on OSX lion and protools 9.0.5?
If so, this line confuses me

"I play it safe and run established code on Lion, PT 8.5"
here you are saying you run Pt 8.5 on Lion? how, may I ask is that possible? (not that I see that as an answer anyway to go back to Pt 8 ! )

I am well aware of the shortcomings of PT beta 9.05 on Lion, and this thread in no way points the finger at Nebula.. I am a BIG fan of Nebula and Acustica , but currently can't use the product :-)
I started the thread to ask if anyone has it working running official OSX Lion and PT 9.0.5,and if so how did you get that to happen...?

I have run PT for 13 years and know all the tricks about prefs/permissions etc.. of course I have tried them all with no luck
I am on a macbook pro latest version 2.3 gig , with 8gigs of ram
Os is 10.7.1 and protools is running 9.0.5 ...
I have had no real problems with the fxpansion wrapper (apart from it forgetting the plugin list) and ALL others plugs I have tried have wrapped fine.

I even tried a snow leopard wrapped nebula to see if it made any difference, but it didn't.

So if you have any ideas, please let me know, I would be grateful !!

cheers

Bill P
wakevortex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 pm

A this time Nebula3 PRO and Server are NOT compatible with Lion. We are working in MAC x64 version but before we might update several things, we go slowly in order to avoid add new issues or bugs, so for us slowly is better than buggy.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Bill! Good, I'll PM you. Sorry for the lack of clarity, on LION I run 8.5.
9 on LION is a mess. :mrgreen:

You need to do a clean install of 8 then update directly to 8.5, solid as a rock for me. Just drag your plug in folder and plugin settings to the desktop so they are not overwritten. And don't launch 8 until it has fully updated to 8.5

I made the wrapper under lion with a clean install of FXpansion 2.01 VST to RTAS. Hope this helps.

Looks like both Acustica and Avid will consider this an unsupported method.. Be advised. Have fun!

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... t-now.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8onmJhc2Y

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=306237
cpwade

Postby wakevortex » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Paul

thanks for the reply.. appreciate the help, but going back to 8.5 just to get Nebula to run is not ideal at all for me . I actually have Pt running really well in Lion running 9.0.5 only minor niggly problems which are not showstoppers. EXCEPT nebula :-)
I really like PT9 - been using it since day 1 , so going back is not really what I want to do .
If you have any thoughts that DONT involve downgrading, would love to hear them, but right now protools is doing a good job for me in Lion with the one notable exception!

hope that makes sense

Bill P
wakevortex
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby cpwade » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm

I understand. I have 9 on my main system and love it as well.

Cheers Bill and best wishes.

Paul
cpwade

Postby cpwade » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:58 am

Bill, given you situation and requirements, have you considered "treating" tracks off line in an audio editor that does work? Then reloading in PT9/Lion?

Just saying... I had to do that before I upgraded to server. It's like flying blind, but if you are only doing console and tape treatments across the board, no problem. Then you can reload them in PT.

Just trying to be helpful.

paul
cpwade

Postby dream » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:00 am

I know Nebula is not supported on Lion 10.7.1. This is just a feedback for you. Nebula server 1.499n works (with local server or without) but I can't save the session. I meant I can save the PT (9.0.5) session but when I reopen it Nebula's parameters are cleared.

In cubase 6.0.4 (on Lion) it seems works fine, but I didn't spend more than 30 seconds, I've just reopened a old session.

PS: I'm trying Lion on a external harddisk.
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
dream

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula