Login

trying to identify gear and recreate a sound of Beach Boys

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

trying to identify gear and recreate a sound of Beach Boys

Postby babiuk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Hello, I´m trying to learn how this acoustic guitar was recorded, maybe you could help me.
It´s a studio take of Beach Boys "Girl dont tell me" from UNusurpassed masters.
It´s a piece where is just the guitar for a little time and it shows a eq curve and comp traces.
Could you tell something about the original eqs or comps that sounds on it?
I´m trying to record a similar song and I´d like to try to recreate the proccess with our nebula gear.
I recorded a guitar track similar and I try things on it.
I´m almost sure the pre´s are 610s, but I don´t know about the compressor and eq (although I think they maybe are LA2A and Pultec). I got a similar eq bell with nebula mammoth, but there is a dip between 100 and 200 Hz I cannot get with my neb tools. Any idea?
I´d like to know the exact gear cos this way I could do it with our nebula version of it (I think it will be a famous eq and comp and we´ll have them sampled).
I know that I can get a very close eq curve with parametric eq but I don´t want to do it this way, I´d prefer to do it with the (neb) original tools - and the best would be to use one piece of each gear to solve it, not a mix of different tools in order to emulate in the right way (and learning in the process).

So any advice will be welcome.
Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot in advance.

http://soundcloud.com/babiuk/girldonttellme
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: trying to identify gear and recreate a sound of Beach Boys

Postby Cupwise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:28 am

how about the tape, which that guitar may have hit several times, and whatever eq/console/etc was used when it was mastered/remastered?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby babiuk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 am

Yes, tape, console, mic... Everything is so important, but the main question I'd like to solve in first place is the main eq curve, at least being able to get it (well, a skecht of it) with a piece of gear. The curve is something you can see in an analyzer plugin-I use voxengo span.
By now I'm using Bogen, wich sounds according to this era, and R2R. I've tried mammoth, dr fear, api550b, bae, pooltec, langevin filters and many more, but I just can get kind of 3 or4K bell and low cut or valley around 500Hz, but something like dip between 100 and 200 is unavailable for me.
What gear of midsixties can get a dip like this?
I'll upload a guitar similar recording I made for working that
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:54 am

I remember reading somewhere that the beach boys used a quad 8 at some point , but that could of been for anything!

cdsoundmaster has a quad 8 sampled. This has alot of low freq bell curves! 50 ,63 , 80,100,120,160,200,250,300,390,500hz
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby babiuk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:25 am

Thanks for replies.
I thought about Q8 cos its freq choices, yes, but I didn't know Q8 is connected with Beach Boys, please could you extend on it?
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby scooter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:01 am

Gear plays little part in the Beach Boys, aside from obvious effects and instruments. Just get your hands on one of those A cappella records of Pet Sounds and see for yourself!

That said, get the R2R and TB+, along with a console emu. Then stick to using Nebula third party EQ's, so long as your room translates.... and you'll be 25% of the way there!

Seriously... R2R, TB+(lots of it), Nebula EQ's and consoles and your ears.
-Scott
scooter

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm

Ok , the connection seems to be a bit loose if nothing at all .It was this I saw a while back Couldn't quite remember where I got the idea from :roll: but here ...http://www.commutefaster.com/Electrodyne.html

And http://www.cinemag.biz/electrodyne/elec ... art_1.html

Interesting read though
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby babiuk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:08 pm

timp wrote:Ok , the connection seems to be a bit loose if nothing at all .It was this I saw a while back Couldn't quite remember where I got the idea from :roll: but here ...http://www.commutefaster.com/Electrodyne.html

And http://www.cinemag.biz/electrodyne/elec ... art_1.html

Interesting read though

Thanks a lot for this researching, a lot of info, it's highly interesting.
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby yr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm not sure that a purist approach is the most efficient one in this case. It's also very possible that even if you had all the right Nebula presets you will still end up with a very different sound. Performance,instrument, mic choice (and position) etc, will all have a big influence on the sound.

Perhaps the best option is to find Nebula presets that get you closer to the sound you are looking for (regardless of how historically accurate they are). If I had to make a guess, I would say there is a wide boost around 3kHz and wide cut around 350 or 400Hz on the beach boys guitar track.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Return to Working with Nebula