Login

Nebula Server setup

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula Server setup

Postby fze23 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:01 pm

I am looking for a step by step description on how to set up nebula server.

thanks
Flo
fze23
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Nebula Server setup

Postby dacaveprods » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Me Too, n simple steps too...as i have tried to get my head around it n just gave up!
dacaveprods

Postby fze23 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:02 pm

I have looked around, googled, read the manual, checked this forum, read a lengthy Gearslutz thread, watched the Acustica youtube video (I even understand italian) and still know nothing.

I think the secret is that the 5 people who did not give up are Network Admins by day.
fze23
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:16 pm

fze23 wrote:I have looked around, googled, read the manual, checked this forum, read a lengthy Gearslutz thread, watched the Acustica youtube video (I even understand italian) and still know nothing.

I think the secret is that the 5 people who did not give up are Network Admins by day.

While information on Server setup has been pretty hard to come by I'm not sure if it was ever officially released; when I bought my copy of Server it was considered a beta for Localserver (anything beyond that was a DIY alpha project for the user). So it could be that the documentation is forthcoming (when those features are supported; otherwise Giancarlo will wake up to 1,000 new forum threads about everything that's not working in remoteserver when it's not intended to be working yet).

Your comments sound almost derogatory towards engineers with computer and/or networking skills; once upon a time being an "Engineer" actually meant knowing the equipment inside and out, being able to setup, maintain, and innovate using the equipment available, sometimes contrary to the design intentions. And back then there were often paper manuals but not easy access to discussion threads, web forums, knowledge bases, replacement manuals... In the past the usual requirement was a strong knowledge of electronics; while still quite valuable, now one often needs to have computer kung fu in order to navigate many professional setups. Understanding networking isn't specifically required for being an audio engineer but it certainly isn't going to hurt, especially when you want to tool around with some bleeding edge piece of software that leverages the network in its operation.

All this to say: if you want to attract some of the few people who have succeeded in experimentally getting remoteserver to work you might not want to call them nerds (or worse, professional IT employees!) in the process.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:07 pm

ngarjuna wrote:While information on Server setup has been pretty hard to come by I'm not sure if it was ever officially released; when I bought my copy of Server it was considered a beta for Localserver (anything beyond that was a DIY alpha project for the user). So it could be that the documentation is forthcoming (when those features are supported; otherwise Giancarlo will wake up to 1,000 new forum threads about everything that's not working in remoteserver when it's not intended to be working yet).

Your comments sound almost derogatory towards engineers with computer and/or networking skills; once upon a time being an "Engineer" actually meant knowing the equipment inside and out, being able to setup, maintain, and innovate using the equipment available, sometimes contrary to the design intentions. And back then there were often paper manuals but not easy access to discussion threads, web forums, knowledge bases, replacement manuals... In the past the usual requirement was a strong knowledge of electronics; while still quite valuable, now one often needs to have computer kung fu in order to navigate many professional setups. Understanding networking isn't specifically required for being an audio engineer but it certainly isn't going to hurt, especially when you want to tool around with some bleeding edge piece of software that leverages the network in its operation.

All this to say: if you want to attract some of the few people who have succeeded in experimentally getting remoteserver to work you might not want to call them nerds (or worse, professional IT employees!) in the process.

As is par for one of the most helpful people on this forum, this is a very appropriate and "right-on" response. To the OP; I know that this stuff can be frustrating, and even mind-boggling at times. But to paraphrase what ngarjuna so eloquently said, we are lucky to have such a helpful forum community here and will benefit more if we just ask for help and leave the insults out of it. I spent most of my audio life buried in piles of the same analog gear that I now very conveniently use Nebula emulations of, and now I actually own them! Add to that, I have access to more "gear" than I could ever dream of, and really sweet gear that I don't need to clean, change caps and/or tubes, or worry about a client spilling their beer (or energy drink) on. I remember being in a studio as a client years ago and the engineer was on the phone for what added up to be hours trying to get some questions answered by the vendor that he bought his N**e board from. That session ended up waiting a week because thta's how long it took to get things sorted out.
Your issue WILL get resolved, I am MOSTLY confident of that. So sit tight and enjoy the friendly community and sonically awesome world of this great software.
To ngarjuna; You've been out of the dating world too long, it seems. It is NOT an insult to be a "nerd" anymore, that was so "80's"! It is now "hot" to be techy and nerdy. Who do you think are the great hackers and will eventually rule the universe?? :shock:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby sneaky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 pm

sneaky

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:57 am

Just tried what sneaky posted and it seems to be working perfectly (I don't have a wired LAN to test on right this second and over WIFI it's hella choppy; but I turned a compressor threshold way down and, although very choppy, the playback was obviously being processed through that compressor). Much easier than I feared.

Now I'm wondering: if I run my wired LAN on a different network (not bridged into our internet connection) do I still tell the Server it's loopback? Or does the address then have to specify one of the gateways (since there will be 2)? I'll have a play around with that later if I get the chance.

ETA:
To ngarjuna; You've been out of the dating world too long, it seems. It is NOT an insult to be a "nerd" anymore, that was so "80's"! It is now "hot" to be techy and nerdy

Sorry for my late reply, was out stocking up on condoms...
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:04 am

ngarjuna wrote:ETA:
To ngarjuna; You've been out of the dating world too long, it seems. It is NOT an insult to be a "nerd" anymore, that was so "80's"! It is now "hot" to be techy and nerdy

Sorry for my late reply, was out stocking up on condoms...

That's more like it, you nerdy hottie.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:38 am

ngarjuna wrote:Now I'm wondering: if I run my wired LAN on a different network (not bridged into our internet connection) do I still tell the Server it's loopback? Or does the address then have to specify one of the gateways (since there will be 2)? I'll have a play around with that later if I get the chance.

The answer is yes, you still tell Server it's loopback. It was as simple as enabling my two interfaces (they connect through a dumb switch) on the same subnet, changing the server address in the XML file to the new subnet address and voila, both networks are working fine side by side.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:14 pm

server version lately works like a standard nebula, it opens a sort of hidden server in background and shares resources there. This is what we support officially, and for the same reason we consider it "delivered" and fully working, even without documentation (it's like apple things, they "just work").

You could use the same setup for connecting more computers /pc and macs, but this configuration is not supported officially. It works and it works pretty well, but the required knowledge is way far from the one you could get from a simple user manual. It's not a simple matter of ip addresses and port and firewalls: if your network is slow or not configured properly you could get a really slow nebula setup and barely you could open even a single instance. So we decided to release it but we decided to not support it. If you need it, pay a network engineer and pray he solves all issues. And you need money too, because we suggest to connect your endpoints using multi-port lan cards, for example.
Nebula network is not very efficient since we coded it from the scratch, and it turned to be not a very good idea. You are not lucky, I studied thrift, protocol buffers and snappy/compression libraries later (after this project), and I'm not sure I want to dig again on this topic again in order to optimize our network usage. So the network usage is ok, but not very good. Still you have a value, since nebula is centralized and it works pretty well if you use good hardware.
For a while I thought we could sell ourselves as consultants for tuning your recording facilities, but we cost a lot $
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Working with Nebula