Login

Compression: not impressed at all, EQ: impressed

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Compression: not impressed at all, EQ: impressed

Postby faun2500 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:31 pm

What compressors are you guys testing?
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby EricH » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:34 pm

I have similar issues of control with almost all of the compressors available. 3rd party and those supplied. I can use them for a subtle or not so subtle box tone) but they are unusuable for control purposes. For me anyway.As with DSP maths based plug ins, accurate compressor action and character remains elusive. But Nebula definitely sounds less capable to my ear than the best of the DSP plugins for compression. Just to contextualize we are speaking of comparison to DSP software of up to $400.00. So to be fair the comparsion may not be fair at all. And nor does DSP not make the grade of high end analogue compression. There is just too much "organic and random electronic activity" going on to model it well I suspect. Nebula does not even get close to predictable and practically employable time constants IMO. Which is a very significant parameter for good sounding compression.

To not appear negative I think Nebula is very good value still and a valuable investment in a unique technology. :)
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby remylebbos » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:09 pm

Hello everyone !

I recently used the FruitJoy Comp 2 on the masterbus and I was quite impressed ! It really gives a big warm boost to the low-ends and soften in a very nice way the harsh high-ends frequencies.

I am interested in knowing other experiences from people using this compressor. I also wonder which compressor it reproduces because I can't find the information.

I would also be interested to compare this one with the FATSO. Is there any equivalent by the way on Nebula?

R.
remylebbos
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby himhui » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 am

The sound of nebubla compressor is so gorgeous, the 3rd party libraries are even more noticeable. I don't see a usd300-400 dsp based algorithmic comp has that character and quality of sound. Fairly speaking, neb comp cannot handle dynamic subtlely at this moment but if we want to control those transients efficiently and effectively, why not take a clean natural digital compressor to handle it ITB? At least it won't make the sound blurry and harsh like the dsp emulation comp does.
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.40 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby EricH » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 pm

neb comp cannot handle dynamic subtlely

Which is what good sounding compression is all about IMO.There are good sounding compressors in DSP format that are more typical of the type of control exhibited by hardware, relative to Nebula's capabilities.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby EricH » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Which is what good sounding compression is all about IMO.There are good sounding compressors in DSP format that are more typical of the type of control exhibited by hardware, relative to Nebula's capabilities.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:10 pm

EricH wrote:

Realizing that different engineers have vastly different needs and expectations, I would say that good sounding compression is largely about the transient shaping. In this day and age when everything has an automation lane and there are very clean algorithmic digital compressors for actual level riding the "hardware-style" compressor has a much more important job than just adjusting the loudness.

For character and transient shaping I have yet to hear anything that gets as close as Nebula libraries like the 4KD or the Stripe76.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. I get pumping compression out of nebula (with a side chain) and the dynamics, attack and release are all effected.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby rugunation » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:31 am

remylebbos wrote:Hello everyone !

I recently used the FruitJoy Comp 2 on the masterbus and I was quite impressed ! It really gives a big warm boost to the low-ends and soften in a very nice way the harsh high-ends frequencies.

I am interested in knowing other experiences from people using this compressor. I also wonder which compressor it reproduces because I can't find the information.

I would also be interested to compare this one with the FATSO. Is there any equivalent by the way on Nebula?

R.

I have found that to be true. I thought I was the only one that noticed that. I love the FruityJoy just for that fact. If you use the III on the 2 buss it gives a nice vibe too not as drastic as the FJ II. Let me know how else you use it.

Rugu
"Music is a mission not a competition" -Rugu Nation

https://www.facebook.com/rugunation
http://rugunation.com
rugunation
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:15 am

it's a modified J*****k, a mix between the original and a software compressor
giancarlo
Founder