Login

Compression: not impressed at all, EQ: impressed

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Compression: not impressed at all, EQ: impressed

Postby EricH » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:21 pm

It seems getting any kind of predictable and familiar operation from compression libraries is not possible.Sure there is some character of the original device (much dependent on the ability of the person who created the library I suspect and how far they have gone to achieve a quality library)In general the gain reduction action based on time constants / thershold is disappointing, lacking all of the effects I expect when I use a quality compressor.On the upside the EQ is worth every penny so mixed feelings so far regarding Nebula.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Re: Compression: not impressed at all, EQ: impressed

Postby Mplay » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Don't diss my beloved nebula comps :D

Seriously though, I haven't got much experience with hardware compressors, but i can usually tame the nebula comps by adding a hpf on the sidechain channels, or even nudging the sidechain a few miliseconds backwards in time.
Mplay

Postby faun2500 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:05 am

I would have to disagree with the original poster.

Neb comps are working VERY well for me! If you haven't got Alex B's MWD you really need to try that.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby EricH » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:44 am

I will, it will not break the bank. :)Never mind hardware, Nebula's compressors do not even sound like good software. :?

On the compressors so far I have found the threshold knob is quite literally acting the same as reducing output gain. As threshold drops it reduces gain without the ratio or time contants being applied. It is so ridiculously smooth it is not natural, even a good smooth compressor applies it's action. I use compressors for control purposes, I cannot seem to control the actual process never mind the sound I am trying to effect.It is not working for me this end, maybe I just need more time to explore.The EQ is beautiful though.Will the Fate (AITB) compressor impress me and am I going to get a rounded massive punch like the unit is known for or super smooth volume like gain reduction with no perceivable attack/release time constants being applied.

I appreciate these are not expensive libraries but I would expect much more relative to EQ quality.

thank you
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby himhui » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:24 am

Neb comp is not perfect at this moment, especially when you want very fast fast attack.....Neb comp makes me stay away from all the emulation vst comps cause none of them can provide the sound quality like neb comp does. It also makes me picky to choose digital comp as well if I have to control dynamics subtlely. I found that sonoris mastering comp could really do the job, it's really a great digital comp I've ever seen. A 10-day demo is provided on their site:-

http://www.sonorissoftware.com/catalog/ ... fa287dadca
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby biomuse » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:13 pm

The OP is more or less right, and I say that as someone who is using Nebula EQs for nearly every boost in all my sessions. The comps in Nebula really aren't there yet if you need to do significant, fast gain reduction. This has been acknowledged by the devs, and will probably require some sort of hybrid (algorithmic/VVK) or other technique to sort out. When I need fast control and high ratios, I use good algo compressors. There are a few out there these days.

The same is true of hard distortion, because it also is a process that requires very fast and significant gain reduction for accurate characteristic modeling of truncated peaks.

For every other type of process, including equalization, harmonic distortion and overtone character modeling of preamps, channels and amplifiers, reverbs of all types, and most time-variant effects, Nebula is very hard or impossible to beat ITB at any price.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby faun2500 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:46 am

I completely understand what you are saying about the gain going down without any noticeable 'compression' but it is not true of all the libraries.

You can get great results with some of these compressors but I usually always (for bass heavy stuff) use a hi-pass filter and sidechain.

Some of the programs do compress and even pump, some add wicked punch to the attack and some do smooth out peeks and effect the release of sounds.

I wasn't impressed with the compressors before but after sticking with them I don't really use algo comps any more and have great results.

Stick with it! :) The MWD probably is the best compressor for Nebula if you want to hear some compression.

:)
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:12 pm

The OP never really says which compressors he's talking about. If he's only using old compressors from the commercial library then I understand his point: those compressors were all sampled and assembled years prior to the compressor support that enabled some of the recent releases we've seen. If he's using Fate, Alex or Rhythminmind's compressors, then I would have to wonder.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:34 pm

That is a very good point!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ickefes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28 pm

After A LOT of testing I totally agree with EricH. The EQs sound amazing but compressors are almost useless unless I tweak MAST and make every compressor use 99% CPU. Regards.
ickefes
User Level I
User Level I

Next

Return to Working with Nebula