Login

VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted

Postby RJHollins » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 am

Testing Alpha6 x86 ...

ok ... since v-a5 is the 1st to load & work on the 32bit arch, and v-a6 came soon after v-a5 ... I have a very small time frame to provide detailed, coherent, alpha test reporting ... but I'll give it the ole college whack ;)

1. most importantly, the plug loads without crashing.

2. There is an expected 'waiting' time for all NEB libs to load. When that actually starts AND finishes is still questionable. [note: maybe a type of progress indicator line might be integrated] ?

3. When 1st loaded, the 'default' seems to be to the 'Algo' setting [still very hard to read those buttons] ... if so, the ALGO setting does not pass audio :o in fact, Reaper channel gets the MUTE button activated.

3. The 'Low', 'Norm', and '?' settings work [passing audio] with full eq parameters working.

4. Didn't know about 'hiding the waveform', but I saw the ON button above, and the waveform hid ... but the on/off logic is still not right ... it ends up switching the mode back to ALGO ... which isn't passing audio ... yet?

... just trying to provide as much info I can to help in any way. I hope you understand the importances of what you've started with this :shock: :lol:

ok ... I still need to test more to get a better handle on, what appear, still, as glitches and/or weirdness ...

hope any of this made sense and is somewhat helpful :roll:

Big THANKS!!!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby grisman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 am

Thanx for the tryouts and the feedback!

Ill check it out!

Can anyone think of anything that could aid us in the quest towards EQ'ing with high latency? Could some kind of visualization aid assisting in this?

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby grisman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 pm

I put up an update. The algo mode shouldnt crash the channel anymore and the size switch should work a bit better.

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby mpodrug » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:12 am

Grisman always delivers.
I can confirm, it's really stable now, no crashing whatsoever. No matter where i drop CleQ from and into, in all modes, it works.
Algo mode, GUI resize, everything works!
Also when loading a project with CleQs on it, the tracks all play in sync already, without having to turn them on and off first.

The only bug i can think of is, when you turn on one or two band or filter, you still have to turn the plugin on and off, to make the sync work correctly.
-
Thank you!
Last edited by mpodrug on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby RJHollins » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:49 am

Quick report ... Alpha 8

The 'Algo' mode is working on 32 bit system 8-)

'Subjectively' .... the plug 'feels' more stable :) but I hope to do more test driving later tonite !!

Can anyone think of anything that could aid us in the quest towards EQ'ing with high latency? Could some kind of visualization aid assisting in this?

Not quite sure I follow what you're envisioning ... would like to hear more on this.

There would be several ideas I'd like to suggest at the appropriate time [if interested].

Also ... I need to re-read this thread to see if additional info on what the 'extreme' button is doing [or whatever the text on that is :roll: ] Curious if this relates to some of the 'hyper' settings that have been discussed in the forums that claim better transient response, etc.

2nd ... The library used ... are each of the 7 bands taken from the 'full' preset ?? The 'normal' settings seems very 'harmonically' rich ...

The question/idea just throwing out there ... if the plug in had access to the fully harmonic 'preamp', and that each band was from the 'clean' mode ... would that 1. better represent the actual channel module, and 2, would it be more CPU/memory friendly ??

Just initial questions/ ideas that come to mind.

However ... please don't let me interrupt your dev time on this ... alpha is very promising :D

more reporting later ...

Thanks!!!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby grisman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:39 am

Hey RJ!

RJHollins wrote:Quick report ... Alpha 8

There would be several ideas I'd like to suggest at the appropriate time [if interested].

Also ... I need to re-read this thread to see if additional info on what the 'extreme' button is doing [or whatever the text on that is :roll: ] Curious if this relates to some of the 'hyper' settings that have been discussed in the forums that claim better transient response, etc.

2nd ... The library used ... are each of the 7 bands taken from the 'full' preset ?? The 'normal' settings seems very 'harmonically' rich ...

The question/idea just throwing out there ... if the plug in had access to the fully harmonic 'preamp', and that each band was from the 'clean' mode ... would that 1. better represent the actual channel module, and 2, would it be more CPU/memory friendly ??

Just initial questions/ ideas that come to mind.

However ... please don't let me interrupt your dev time on this ... alpha is very promising :D

more reporting later ...

Thanks!!!

The normal button sets everything to "normal" just as when you load one instance into nebula. Extreme raises the convolution of TimeD to 30ms and FreqD the highest - but i think this only happens if you have set Nebula to accept these high values.
About the clean versions - Hit the red button next to any EQ and the plug switches to clean mode for that eq.

Also if you want to lower the cpu load you might think about raising the DSP-buffer in nebula. If you start nebula and go to settings page. Raise dspbuffer and set timed to the highest value and also the FreqD to highest.

Im not sure as to how the programs translate to the real desk and what signal chain would be correct in this sense. But mixed with the CLC i guess this should come close.
Would be great to be able to choose a preamp type also.

Im all ears when it comes to all kinds of suggestions. Just shout if you got some!

Ill be looking over the knob sizes and all that.

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby mpodrug » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:29 am

Ok, my suggestion for the next project:

Just make a wrapper for about 6-7 instances, make them open, so everybody can determine what they want to load, and in which order themselves. Even better, if possible, the ability to determine the ammount of free slots available.

But this should be for preamp, tape, tapebooster, channel in/out kind of programs only, where you only have to
set the gain staging, nothing more. Therefore you don't have to put any other knobs than in out gains beetwen the instances, and VU meters for every slot.

I also thought about the ability to save those chains, but every DAW already has the function to save FX presets.
I already have those kinds of presets saved in my DAW, but the advantage of my idea is to have every chain in one wrapper GUI which is
alot easier to edit.

That way you can save different chains, like A*I chain, N**e, S*L, etc with different Pre, and Tapes, for different uses, like Vox, Git, Drums, etc.

I don't know if its possible to still put in the Low, Mid, Extreme settings with different programs like on the CleQ.

Oh, and I won't put CleQ in it, juts leave it like it is, and move on to next EQs, that way one can add the EQs after the first Wrapper.

What do you think? I think it's better to make it open, because everyone has other libraries, and one person also has different chains to be used in different situations. When you put it in reality, it would be a huge workflow improvement, like CleQ already is.

edit:
One more input, about VU meters, i find the meters on this skin the most useful, it works best when working with libraries with different gain stage:
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby grisman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:49 pm

I love the idea with the preamps and all that stuff. Its currently not possible to do unfortunately and will probably not be able to do. Because then i need to have all the stuff thats going to be available in the wrapper which i dont.

I got some other ideas that i would like to do. I would really like to have one control surface with 8 or 16 channels of EQs and compression to easily work with drums and such. But this requires some heavy GUI drawing which holds me back unfortunately.
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby mpodrug » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:20 pm

My idea was actually to have something like metaplugin, but with immediate ability to tweak the parameters, and easier handling (no routing cables and all those stuffs)
Is that possible for you?
That way you don't need to have any of the libraries to make the wrapper.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby turbotrixie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:05 am

Hi there. This idea is obviously fantastic - but I am experiencing severe timing/latency issues with this on any channel. I just reinstalled cubase to 64 bit, and therefore my nebula xml's are all almost stock.

I read the thread, but could not see any solutions or anyone else having this problem. (Ok, i skimmed it really fast, might have missed it. sorry, if thats the case...)

We are talking almost a second of timedifference here.
turbotrixie
User Level I
User Level I

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula