Login

VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted

Postby mpodrug » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I just tried the latest version. It's all working nicely. Gain knobs, knob orientation numbers, -18db spot, the curve meter. It's almost perfect now. It already looks nice for my taste, but why don't you PM some of the skin makers, maybe they'll collaborate.
Keep up the good work!
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby meloco » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Don't you think it is logical to limit kernel numbers or use some of the programs clean? If I understood correctly, the plugin is basically a shell for a several Nebula instances so it works similarly to running a several modules in series?
If that is true you would get higher THD than just using one module (which might be desired of course). So I think it is logical to use full 10 kernels only once, and run subsequent instances clean, or used reduced numbers of kernels on all the instances.
Would better represent reality and free some CPU. A win-win I guess :)
meloco
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby grisman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:01 am

meloco wrote:Don't you think it is logical to limit kernel numbers or use some of the programs clean? If I understood correctly, the plugin is basically a shell for a several Nebula instances so it works similarly to running a several modules in series?
If that is true you would get higher THD than just using one module (which might be desired of course). So I think it is logical to use full 10 kernels only once, and run subsequent instances clean, or used reduced numbers of kernels on all the instances.
Would better represent reality and free some CPU. A win-win I guess :)

You are correct on your assumptions. The plugin is a shell (wrapper) that runs 7 instances of nebula. They can be put in serial or paralell if one would want that.
It is however the exact same thing as putting 7 instances on one channel after each other (serial) in its current state.
Harmonics will be induced from every instance ofcourse. I totally agree that this could be something that some find to not work out so i put in some buttons to remove the extra kernels from the instances one doesnt want to have 'em - one on/off for each instance.

SWAN wrote:
grisman wrote:If we put in a On/Off button for each of the instances would that do it?

Cheers, Jocke

the problem with this is if it loads all bands on opening - when you turn off the bands - the sequencer may still maintain the total latency of all bands...I am pretty sure Ableton will do this. In Ableton when you bypass an instance of Nebula - it holds onto the latency...

But if there is a way around this - it would be very cool to be able to only switch on bands used...

This has been put in on this version ill post in a couple of seconds. On/off buttons for each instance. When one turns off an instance the latency is reduced. All instances can be turned off but that will leave half full buffers looping (sorry for this, will remedy this in the next version). Im trying to go forward as fast as possible and leave some things thats a bit buggy.

On a "fresh" load the default mode is the Algorithmic which so you can set up which bands you want and turn on/off those buttons you wont need and then hit Normal to load everything. It should then be saved with the project and everything takes on where you left it.

Thats the idea anyway.. There could be a couple of bumps on the road in this version i think.

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby grisman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 am

Back again with something new.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23113673/CLeqAlpha3.zip

The new stuff in this version is

1. on/off for every instance of nebula the plugin hosts. This comes with a reduction in latency - if this is good or bad? i dont know. maybe we should have a button that holds the latency in one place even though you turn stuff on/off.

2. On/off for the extra harmonic kernels in nebula. This comes with a quite expensive price because the instance being changed has to reload. I guess most of the users got computers with some powder in them so this will not be a problem.

I would not try to automate these parameters. It will probably sound quite bad.

The low mode has come back in real form again.

When the plugin is added, default is that ALGO mode is running. THIS IS NOT NEBULA - this is only simple algorithmic modeling. You have to go to low, normal or extreme to run the signal through the nebula.

Algo mode is in there to give the user a possibility to setup some stuff like turn on/off knobs or choose which instances will run with all kernels. Maybe it can work to some extent for preparing the EQ. Anyway, just hit one of the other modes and youll be swimming in notime!

I have a feeling this version could cause some trouble because of bugs. I went forward quite fast.

Check it out!

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby RJHollins » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:05 am

grisman wrote:
RJHollins wrote:I'm sure many request will follow ... the big one for me ...

any possibility that a 32 bit version would be developed ???

thanks!

As im am unsure of what the Nebula coreII 32 bit file is called you would have to make a copy that is called "Nebula3CoreII64 Reverb.dll".

Havent accually tried this one, but it would be great if you could try it out.
The 32 bit version:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23113673/CLeqAlpha2x86.zip

SWAN wrote:
grisman wrote:If we put in a On/Off button for each of the instances would that do it?

Cheers, Jocke

the problem with this is if it loads all bands on opening - when you turn off the bands - the sequencer may still maintain the total latency of all bands...I am pretty sure Ableton will do this. In Ableton when you bypass an instance of Nebula - it holds onto the latency...

But if there is a way around this - it would be very cool to be able to only switch on bands used...

The latency can be changed, but it is probably some difference between hosts in how its implementet. Ill try it tonight and get something up later.

Btw, are there any ppl in here that posseses the power to draw and make up some kind of user interface? would be sweet to get this plugin lookin' a bit better.

Cheers, Jocke

OK ... I made back up copies of my x86 Nebula plugs, and then renamed them [the plug & the XML file].

I placed the CLeQAlPha2x86 in the Acoustica folder.

When I launch REAPER, load the CLeQAlPha, immediate crash message :

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 8/13/2012
Time: 2:01:14 AM
User: N/A
Computer: RJHQ9450
Description:
Faulting application reaper.exe, version 4.2.5.0, faulting module cleqx86.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000b4d3.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 72 65 61 ure rea
0018: 70 65 72 2e 65 78 65 20 per.exe
0020: 34 2e 32 2e 35 2e 30 20 4.2.5.0
0028: 69 6e 20 63 6c 65 71 78 in cleqx
0030: 38 36 2e 64 6c 6c 20 30 86.dll 0
0038: 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 .0.0.0 a
0040: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 t offset
0048: 20 30 30 30 30 62 34 64 0000b4d
0050: 33 0d 0a 3..
----------------------------------

I hope this is useful info ! :shock:

Thanks
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby grisman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 am

RJHollins wrote:OK ... I made back up copies of my x86 Nebula plugs, and then renamed them [the plug & the XML file].

I placed the CLeQAlPha2x86 in the Acoustica folder.

When I launch REAPER, load the CLeQAlPha, immediate crash message :

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 8/13/2012
Time: 2:01:14 AM
User: N/A
Computer: RJHQ9450
Description:
Faulting application reaper.exe, version 4.2.5.0, faulting module cleqx86.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000b4d3.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 72 65 61 ure rea
0018: 70 65 72 2e 65 78 65 20 per.exe
0020: 34 2e 32 2e 35 2e 30 20 4.2.5.0
0028: 69 6e 20 63 6c 65 71 78 in cleqx
0030: 38 36 2e 64 6c 6c 20 30 86.dll 0
0038: 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 .0.0.0 a
0040: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 t offset
0048: 20 30 30 30 30 62 34 64 0000b4d
0050: 33 0d 0a 3..
----------------------------------

I hope this is useful info ! :shock:

Thanks

You could download the 64 bit version of nebula CoreII and try out the regular 64 bit version of the plugin.

This will probably work since you are running Reaper. Reaper runs both 32bit and 64 bit plugins regardless of what version of reaper you use. It has a builtin bitbridge that solves the issues.

I just tried this on my computer and it "almost" worked. The plugin works to the point when you load a nebula setting. Let see if we can do something about this in some way.

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby mpodrug » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm

grisman wrote:Back again with something new.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23113673/CLeqAlpha3.zip

The new stuff in this version is

1. on/off for every instance of nebula the plugin hosts. This comes with a reduction in latency - if this is good or bad? i dont know. maybe we should have a button that holds the latency in one place even though you turn stuff on/off.

2. On/off for the extra harmonic kernels in nebula. This comes with a quite expensive price because the instance being changed has to reload. I guess most of the users got computers with some powder in them so this will not be a problem.

Thanks!
Everything works fine here. However, turning on/off the band instance is messing up the automatic delay compensation here in StudioOne 64bit. Means for example when i have one plugin in track a fully loaded, and in track b only 3 instances turned on, those tracks won't play in sync.

Does it have something to do with it not reporting the right delay to the DAW?
Other than that a very good idea to have the ability turning everything on/off.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby SWAN » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:39 pm

mpodrug wrote:Thanks!
Everything works fine here. However, turning on/off the band instance is messing up the automatic delay compensation here in StudioOne 64bit. Means for example when i have one plugin in track a fully loaded, and in track b only 3 instances turned on, those tracks won't play in sync.

I thought this might happen...Im wondering if the plugin latency can be changed without re-loading the plug and re-reporting plugin latency...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby grisman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:07 pm

SWAN wrote:
mpodrug wrote:Thanks!

I thought this might happen...Im wondering if the plugin latency can be changed without re-loading the plug and re-reporting plugin latency...

It does report the latency change. It works for me in Reaper. I guess all hosts cant do this "on the fly".

Question is if this is a feature worth keeping if it doesnt work with every host?

As i understand, it really cant be implemented in different ways so i dont really know if theres a way to change it.

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby grisman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Im thinking of dropping the interface alltogether and go for something more like the Pro-Q interface. Would this be a good or bad move?

I kinda like that way of working better. And especially when the latency is high i like to get all the information available visually.
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula