Login

VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted

Postby grisman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:05 pm

mpodrug wrote:Mammoth and Doc Fear are EQ libraries from Analoginthebox.
Most of nebula users have them, since they are very affordable and sound NICE.
http://www.analoginthebox.com/

I'm thinking about getting CLeQ just because of this.
Some questions:
Since there are no numbers on the VU-meter, how can one read it? Where's the -18dbfs level? I assume you will add the numbers in later versions.

And where can one adjust input and output level, because i only recognize one big gain knob?

This is very exciting development indeed. Especially the render and realtime buttons are genius.
Did anyone try it with StudioOne yet? Oh, and does it work with nebula server, which also has the same dll name- "Nebula3CoreII64 Reverb.dll" ?

Plenty of questions...

In the Alpha version thats on the first page - the VU's are plain hippie. But on the next version ill post -18dbfs will be centered on the vu-meter. Ill add some numbers to it later as well. This is however only a RMS meter, we should have it combined with peak metering also since it can be nice to see that the transients arent clipping 0dbfs.

At the moment there is no input gain knob - this should ofcourse be added. Added it to my notes.

Unfortunately i dont really know how nebula server works. I guess it works like the regular nebula coreII (interface wise) so i think it should work.

Do you have the Drawmer 1968, D*x 165a compressor from signaltonoise?

I could send you a plugin for that to try out if the server version is working?

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby grisman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:22 pm

SWAN wrote:
grisman wrote:I am thinking that we should have some kind of plugin with some preamps, tape stuff and gain stages. I dont really know what kind of combination could be considered as a nice standard thingy to just put on to a channel.

cheers, Jocke

would be great to have a pre-amp/console -> tape -> tapebooster+ plugin...and perhaps something similar for tubebooster?

perhaps also another EQ... :D ...

this is a very cool development...can I ask - how is this plugin implementing different 'quality' settings at realtime and render? is it latency or Nebula engine settings?

At the moment the difference in "quality" is different settings for kernel TIMED and FREQD. Thats it.
The DSPBUFFER that the plug uses is what you have defined in you "global settings" and i cant seem to override these from my wrapper.

Anyway, if the DAW informs the plug that it does something offline - then the plug goes to render mode.
New kernels have to be loaded and maybe converted so the switching takes the some time but atleast its automatic.

As i was trying to lower the quality level to reduce cpu load i couldnt really get it to come down to levels that didnt choke my computer so i went ahead and made som hippie stuff which also will be in the next Alpha. When quality is switched to LOW the wrapper uses an algorithmic modelling instead of running the nebulas (its quite far of from what the CLeq sounds like but maybe i could enhance it over time and we could find something that serves som kind of purpose), i hope no-one hangs me for doing something like this.

About the preamp, tape stuff. Name a decent chain and ill try to get something together. Ive got PCS, R2R and TB+ and CLC mixer. What you guys think?

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby grisman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I want to add one more thing as.

What do you guys think about implementing something like an "internal samplerate"?

I often track at 48khz but i mix at atleast 96khz. would be kinda nice to run the DAW at 48 and have the processing chains run at 96, 192 or more?

Just thinking loud.

Cheers, Jocke
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby SWAN » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:16 pm

grisman wrote:I want to add one more thing as.

What do you guys think about implementing something like an "internal samplerate"?

I often track at 48khz but i mix at atleast 96khz. would be kinda nice to run the DAW at 48 and have the processing chains run at 96, 192 or more?

Just thinking loud.

Cheers, Jocke

thats pretty awesome...Ill leave others to suggest the console preamp idea...I would think some combination of R2R, Tapebooster...and it would be cool if you could have a drop-down list to load either a console or PCS program per track...

I really like the idea of an oversampled nebula channel...I like to compose @ 44.1 so I dont worry about CPU when writing. Then mixing I might go up to 96k...I wonder if oversampled Nebula might work in this context...but it might depend on the quality of realtime oversampling....but it could be realtime @44 and render @ 96k?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby grisman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Ok heres another release.

I wanted to replace the first post but i couldnt find the button to change it.

Anyway:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23113673/CLeqAlpha.zip

So.. Theres alot of new stuff compared to the first one.

Low mode is homemade algorithmic model.
Normal is CLeq standard settings.
Extreme is SplitH with Timed 30ms and full FreqD.

Meters should be correct RMS now. -18dbfs is at the center of the VU. Left vu is input and right is output.

Input gain knob is coming on the next one!

Check it out.

Cheers, Jocke.
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby david1103 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:55 pm

oversampling sounds interesting, the only thing i would say is in my opinion don't bother with real time oversampling! go straight for the very best quality possible.

could you use the free and best quality SoX routines?:

http://sox.sourceforge.net/SoX/Resampling

i understand anyone is welcome to use them for free.

my ideal situation would be this:

1. running at 44.1 (or 48k, will refer to it as 44.1) load a 96k preset and nebula re-samples as normal to 44.1 (not the best quality nebula re-sampling).

2. on mixdown, using your plugin, it loads the 96k program again at native 96k (remembering the EQ settings), changes the kernals to TIMED and then downsamples using SoX to 44.1 for the final output

THAT would be INCREDIBLE :)
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby babiuk » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:15 pm

I'm looking forward trying this tool. Have you confirm that it works 100%?
Apart from quality switch I'm crazy for knowing if all eq bands at the same gui works fine, this will be a huge step.
babiuk

Postby jeffbdavis » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Wow, this is an amazing development! Can't wait to see what happens with this. :D
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby grisman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 pm

babiuk wrote:I'm looking forward trying this tool. Have you confirm that it works 100%?
Apart from quality switch I'm crazy for knowing if all eq bands at the same gui works fine, this will be a huge step.

Works at my computers 100%. I would really like to know if it works at your computer as well.

Its got 7 eq's HP, LP, HM, MM, LM and HSelf and Lshelf.

Check the latest alpha out and give me advice as to what is good and especially what is not (except for the look of the GUI which i know looks like crap).

david1103 wrote:oversampling sounds interesting, the only thing i would say is in my opinion don't bother with real time oversampling! go straight for the very best quality possible.

could you use the free and best quality SoX routines?:

http://sox.sourceforge.net/SoX/Resampling

i understand anyone is welcome to use them for free.

my ideal situation would be this:

1. running at 44.1 (or 48k, will refer to it as 44.1) load a 96k preset and nebula re-samples as normal to 44.1 (not the best quality nebula re-sampling).

2. on mixdown, using your plugin, it loads the 96k program again at native 96k (remembering the EQ settings), changes the kernals to TIMED and then downsamples using SoX to 44.1 for the final output

THAT would be INCREDIBLE :)

1 - It does this now.

2 - if you switch the project sample rate or choose to render in 96khz the plugin automatically switches the kernels to 96kHz (reloads them). For example if your project is 44.1kHz and you set your stuff up and when you choose to Render (in reaper atleast) - you can choose at what samplerate Reaper should operate the processing chains at. If you change this to a different samplerate than what is active, the plugin tells nebula to reload everything and set it up just the way it was but at the new samplerate. And with the render settings instead of realtime. The same goes if you choose Apply FX.
grisman
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby david1103 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:10 pm

2 - if you switch the project sample rate or choose to render in 96khz the plugin automatically switches the kernels to 96kHz (reloads them). For example if your project is 44.1kHz and you set your stuff up and when you choose to Render (in reaper atleast) - you can choose at what samplerate Reaper should operate the processing chains at. If you change this to a different samplerate than what is active, the plugin tells nebula to reload everything and set it up just the way it was but at the new samplerate. And with the render settings instead of realtime. The same goes if you choose Apply FX.

grisman

that's fantastic. SoX is not really needed in the plugin looking at it like that.

i assume nebula doesn't normally do this? i never tested it. this could be a revolution, esp for other 96k programs that don't sound so good with nebula downsampling (EMT plate would be a godsend).

i really hope this plugin can be applied to other libraries with this feature alone! (will have to test all the other non nebula plugins running to see if they are doing the same)

you mentioned that you were setting the highest quality export to only 30ms timed kernals SPLIT mode as that was the default timed length for nebula without modding the XML.

i think if you were to get your plugin to export the full timed kernal length in NOT SPLIT MODE it would be much better.

another option your plugin could even be super cool and give a little warning the XML was not modded :) it does only take a moment to do, a little batch file program with your plugin could do it for a user in a moment.

i would hate to see high quality export be anything other than the highest quality it could be (full kernal length in timed), as that is what an offline export mode should be all about :D
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula