Login

VstBoard 0.5

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

VstBoard 0.5

Postby vicnestE » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Recently I'm looking for a way to load nebula programs on the fly. I mean:
"In a track, load nebula programs A, B, C,...,n, and quick A/B comparison all the programs"

I tried it using Reaper FX chain which is nice and the plug-ins rename helps, but I can't preload lots of programs for comparison sack. The project tends to get disordered as there's way to grab a chunk of nebula EQ chain into any point in the chain.

I also want the nebula programs preloaded in the memory so I could avoid waiting for the SRC or loading time. (I know the resource usage will be huge at memory side but the workflow is quicker and save lots of time)

I haven't found anything to achieve until today I met VstBoard.
It's a free open-source plugin with 64bit/32bit support.

As in the screenshot, first drag the Nebula.dll into Program Panel (1). Connect an EQ unit if you want.
In program list(2), name it.
Continuing create other programs you want to compare quickly.
Click on the name of program list to fast switch between different programs. The audio will switch with a bit of silence due to nebula's high latency. The longer the program chain, the longer the silence.

It could be easily moved from one channel to another in Reaper via Alt-Drag (don't undo the drag if you want to move it back, it's kind of buggy). If you want the effect, you can copy/paste programs acroos different VstBoard (but you have to connect Host Panel manually) or just insert a nebula into the DAW's FX chain.

I don't know if any other better solution exist for this kind of fast A/B comparison task. I haven't digged VstBoard deep enough, but it looks promising.
But noted, just like many other chainer plug-ins, the latency is not correctly reported when it comes to Nebula, so it's out of synch with other tracks.

Anyway, it's still under developement, and may be better with our constructive suggestions :)

Author's youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/CtrlBrk76
Where to download
http://vstboard.blogspot.com/
Attachments
VstBoard.png
VstBoard.png (149.42 KiB) Viewed 679 times
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Re: VstBoard 0.5

Postby vicnestE » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:56 pm

My old solution in Reaper 4.

Since track folder and track is the same thing is Reaper, and tracks will send audio signal to upper layer of folder.

I create several FX track and color it for better recognition. The FX tracks could be pre-loaded into new project if set to default project template.

When I want to test if something sounds good with a certain type of FX, I simply drag the source into the FX track.

But once the project get bigger and the mixer get complex, it's not so easy to drag something into another track. Let along the possible chaos to complex mixer routing.

And there's more than one click to compare different EQs (nebula chain).
Attachments
DragIT.png
DragIT.png (128.34 KiB) Viewed 675 times
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula