Login

what happens when there's no sound?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

what happens when there's no sound?

Postby trunk » Sun May 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Just a thought i had earlier today while mixing,...

when working with stems, on the silent bits, what does nebula do?

does it still nebularize the silence?

cos i normally group vocals together and eq the buss, but the thought made me want to put the eq on each track instead.

maybe its placebo but it sounded better, nicer saturation or whatever it is that nebula does. :mrgreen:
trunk
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: what happens when there's no sound?

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Depending on how low you mean by no sound, if you truly mean none (feeding the program -inf) it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I took 10 seconds of my DAC with no input (-95.2dBFS according to my master out) and fed it into 5 channels:

-MBC Pro Vintage Master
-EMT140 1s
-Bright Fairchild (RASS)
-Mammoth HiSh Boost / Mammoth LoSh Boost
-Wollensack Full Band Tape 7 / 2dB TapeBoost Saturation

All programs came very close to each other and were all below -95dBFS. There would seem to be a difference but at those levels it shouldn't be significant or even audible. Even summed (all of the above-mentioned files together) it only came up to -86dBFS.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Re: what happens when there's no sound?

Postby trunk » Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 am

wow cheers for the test ngarjuna!

so i placebo-ed myself :lol:

I was just thinking about the way analog recording would work, not that i know, but i would imagine that when recording on say 16 tracks to whatever medium, there will be silent sections,.... but those silent sections still go through the mixing board and the output is still recorded right?

normally, the mc's i mix, i also record, so, so far i've been trimming the takes, so there are no events in the silent sections.

but on a recent job, i got sent stems with silent bits, and instead of cutting out the silent bits to ease the load, i left them in.

so that got me thinking about how all the silent bits would stack up with stacked nebula instances....

for example i've got about 8 tracks of just vocals, some individual, some are doubled parts. i normally run a chain of about 6 nebula instances on a group buss eg 4 A*I bands and a couple of pre's or filters,... and this is after batch processing them through a couple of preamps.

this time, i put the 6 nebula's on each track, bounced them all, and the combined sound sounded better than just bouncing the group buss. and then add that to include the 10 instrumental tracks with similar treatment fx chains, thats quite a bit of saturation adding up.... and it sounded nice.

so that got me thinking about those analog desks and how even though a track might be silent, a signal, small as it may be, is still going through the chain and added to the overall sound.

and then perhaps when compressing it all together, the comp brings the tiny accumulation up to give it a nice sheen?

just a thought, and as you can tell i dont really know what i'm talking about :mrgreen:
trunk
User Level 0
User Level 0

Return to Working with Nebula