Login

First few days with Nebula 3 Pro

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: First few days with Nebula 3 Pro

Postby richie43 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I am still leery of using SSD's for audio, but as a dedicated OS drive they are awesome. If you do use them for audio as well, do back-ups FREQUENTLY because SSD's fail with no warning. I learned from experience.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Lexon Spanish S*L dealer recommend me for an ultra speed work RAID0 SSD, I'll try ASAP in the next DAW upgrade.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:26 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:Lexon Spanish S*L dealer recommend me for an ultra speed work RAID0 SSD, I'll try ASAP in the next DAW upgrade.

Like I said, back-up files often. I HAVE heard that SSD's are good performers for recording audio, but they seem to be designed for frequent reads but not frequent writes, which recording is. Maybe my info is old, and admittedly my experimenting with SSD's for audio recording was when they were fairly new. But when I have had standard platter HD's begin to fail, they do just that; begin to fail, and show subtle hints that the failure is coming. But when my SSD's crashed and burned, it went suddenly with no warning and in a blaze of terrible glory, taking anything unsaved with it. Luckily, I am a little paranoid about back-ups with my audio anyway, so I "only" lost a days worth of work. Unfortunately it was a very productive and inspired day of work lost forever....
Let me know how your experiences with the SSD goes, maybe it's time for me to revisit. And did I mention....
DO BACK-UPS!!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mitch » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Regarding SSD drives for Nebula:

I think that as these SSD drives are interesting for Nebula, because they have a faster data access, it might improve the reading of the heavy Nebula libraries... Am I right?

Regarding their safety:
I think the data can't stay for very long written at it's place, so there is a kind of software inside the drive managing the data, meaning changing it's place frequently from one place to another, and I heard that that process did improve lately which makes the drives safer on the data loss side.

I don't know if it is as safe as a normal drive now, or if it is more likely to break or loose data...

Does someone have some expertise?
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby woeischris » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:12 am

I doubt an SSD would help Nebula much. Active programs run entirely from RAM once loaded. Sure, your load would be faster but not enough to justify the price. Now, the performance gains in other areas... That's another story.

RAID0 terrifies me. I'll take a redundant copy of my data using a RAID 1 over performance any day.
woeischris

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula