Login

First few days with Nebula 3 Pro

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

First few days with Nebula 3 Pro

Postby EricH » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Well it has been a mixed bag really.I have heard some lovely tones but always had a niggling worry there were initially unheard artifacts in the audio. Seemingly moreso with tape emulations (color tape, lovely tone but low level clicks in the audio, must experiment with the liquidity).Some horrid crashes of my DAW, add 2 instances on a stereo master output and bang... Dangerous static like pops through the speakers and a full scale (and beyond) signal on the left channel output.Tried some nice 3rd party purchases out and found a few are complete CPU monster hogs.To be fair I have a dual Xeon machine which is a bit long in the tooth now and will be using an i7 soon so hopefully that overhead will be reduced somewhat. I have yet to make any conclusions and will carry on and await further analysis until I have this running on a more powerful machine. Heard some lovely equalisation libraries, the best I have heard ITB. But all a tad unreliable at the moment. Very interesting product but for me one to be used with care.

Will continue to listen and learn.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Re: First few days with Nebula 3 Pro

Postby richie43 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:50 pm

Stick with it Eric, if you want to enjoy some of the warmest digital audio your ears have ever heard. It is true that Nebula really needs a modern quad core of some sort to run even close to well. I have a Q8400, not an i7 type, but still a quad. I can run quite a few instances but still need to render (freeze, bounce, depending on what your DAW calls it) tracks to save CPU, but usually more so with the very intensive console emulations that I love. And Nebula can be tweaked to be more efficient on specific DAW configurations and specific DAW's. Also, only run the Nebula Reverb.dll, not the regular Nebula.dll. The non-reverb is for backward compatibility from before some optimizations were made and will crush almost any CPU. Search the forum or send me your reverb.xml file and I can look at it if you want. It is stored wherever you installed the dll's to, not in the nebulatemprepositories. I have been fortunate enough to have been "schooled" by some generous Nebula gurus about optimizations for my system and I know enough to offer some help. So send me a PM with your xml attached and your system specs, along with any other pertinent info like DAW software, asio interface, buffer settings....
Good luck. My first few weeks were frustrating and I was convinced that I had thrown my money away for a worthless placebo software, but now I have flushed my computer of probably 80% of my old vst's, readjusted my workflow, and am making the warmest and most harmonically deep music that I have ever heard since my 20 years of all analog audio. My ears are very happy! I also upgraded to the server version, it has an even more optimized "engine", it is truly awesome. I hope to hear back from you. Welcome to the bottomless (but liberating) hole of no return called Nebula!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby EricH » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Yes, the sound is compelling almost more analogue than my existing high end analogue gear in fact, though the pieces I own are on the cleaner side.I have only been using the "Nebula" and not the reverb option from my inserts. Does selecting the reverb option choose the reverb .dll? And thanks for the generosity once I am over on the new system I may well take you up. Right now some of the instances literally take my PC to 85pct CPU usage with 2 instances or 3rd party desks. Not possible to even use them right now.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Yes, select the Nebula Reverb in whatever your host is. The regular Nebula, according to Giancarlo (the main Neb dev) should never be used unless it is for an old project that used one of the original incarnations of Nebula. The reverb dll is the ticket. Definitely get back to me when you are ready. but until then, it is still possible to tweak it to get a little more from your system. I can run up to 8 very heavy 3rd party console emu's on my back-up dual core PC, so I know that the tweaking makes a difference. Most of the console libraries also have lower kernel versions to select for lightening the load, at the small expense of less sonic realism and depth. Send me your reverb.xml, and let's see if we can eek a bit more from your honorable soon-to-be-ushered-out dual core! And yes, I enjoy some of the Nebula emulations to the actual hardware that they emulate! I hear the depth and "euphonics" and don't hear the bad pots, static electricity, ground-loops..... Cheers.
Attachments
nebulareverb.png
nebulareverb.png (100.39 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby faun2500 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:39 am

When I tried the demo of Nebula free a while back I installed it and thought 'what the * is this?' and then uninstalled it laughing because I thought it looked shit and couldn't get it to work.

Another year later I am still not happy with my mixes and ITB sound in general. After reading for months about ITB mixing I found Nebula again and decided to give it another go. I still had the 'what the * is this?' feeling but as the GUI had changed (for the better) and I was at my wits end with 'my sound' I stuck with it determined to learn it.

Anyway, months later, and a lot of learning and changing my work flow I am finally happy with my ITB sound and using Nebula has become fun and quite easy now, especially in REAPER 4! (if you don't have this check it out)

Stick with it mate, adapt and then reap the benefits. :P
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby piperboy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Video tutorials would be sweet for beginners :D
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby highvoltage » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:59 pm

EricH wrote:Dangerous static like pops through the speakers and a full scale (and beyond) signal on the left channel output.

Yeah that still occurs for me quite often! Im just tired of bringing that up again...
highvoltage

Postby giancarlo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:21 pm

pops... when? for which programs? you can limit it to a particular threshold lately
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby woeischris » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:23 am

highvoltage wrote:
EricH wrote:Dangerous static like pops through the speakers and a full scale (and beyond) signal on the left channel output.

Yeah that still occurs for me quite often! Im just tired of bringing that up again...

The only time this ever happened to me was when not using the Reverb version or when I was clipping certain plugins. Make sure nothing hits Nebula at levels greater than -0.1 and you should be fine.
woeischris

Postby mitch » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:37 am

Hi!
You should seriously consider going for a W64 quad core i5 or i7 with an SSD hard drive and a lot of RAM (16 GIG here) for an audio dedicated PC.

I built that computer and am experimenting since 3 days, and I can run around forty Nebula3 free (with local server) instances on a project with ten audio tracks in Reaper (around four to five plugs per track!)It runs flawlessly!!! (simple project with no midi, no other plugs, no audio edits and fades).
And without special tweaking of XML's, so maybe it can become even better!

As I just received my new .SER file, I'll install N3Pro with local server and am expecting exciting results!!!

cheers
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Next

Return to Working with Nebula