Login

Mastering with nébula Equalizers

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Mastering with nébula Equalizers

Postby puresonic » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Barendse wrote
As far as I know all programs work in Neb2. Free demo programs included.

Ho...good news...that's fine...
puresonic
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby cj01djs » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Very strange that nobody talks about MWQ and MLQ.Even if they were designed for mixing purpose i find those to be very good for mastering.You have parametric peak and shelf bands on and you can cut or boost anywhere you want and MWQ have also Q Width on peak bands and it's very musical and transparent.Those eq's are in the transparent side of the eq's even if they have the character of the hardware.I love the highs on MWQ and MLQ especially the shelfs and the variable peaks on MWQ.I love also that punch that i've found on the lows of MLQ and it's specific for an S*L sound.If after these you will need more color you have Pultecs (Alex B and CDSoundMaster) or Doc Fear from Analog In The Box,the Mammoth also from Analog In The Box.You can also find very powerful the BMQ and VMQ and these are plenty of character.
Generally i can hardly say that you can't go wrong with any of the Nebula eq's if you wanna have a lot of options because you can build a hybrid eq with the low of a Pultec the mids from a N**e eq and the highs of S*L let's say :D.
Happy mixing and welcome to the new users on the wagons of the future with Nebula thanks to Giancarlo and other members of the team Acustica.
cj01djs
User Level II
User Level II

Postby faun2500 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:49 pm

I do use the MLQ in mastering for the LPF as it is steeper than the GMC LPF and more transparent than the massive passive.

As the previous poster says, there is a lot of options with Nebula for mastering.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby darren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:15 pm

puresonic wrote:I made comparisons with 2 of my usual EQ (sonalksis SVC517 and Electriq from Aixcoustic) and found that the Nebula program was reducing the dynamic in a very noticeable way.

This is very interesting, could you maybe post some examples of the difference you are hearing in the dynamic range when using Nebula compared to your normal plugins?
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby darren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:17 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:
This is the result of the non lineal approach, you can switch off (just for test) in the KERN page.

Could you explain why the 'non lineal approach' reduces the dynamics, and what effects turning this off have on the overall processing?
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:09 pm

darren wrote:
enriquesilveti wrote:
This is the result of the non lineal approach, you can switch off (just for test) in the KERN page.

Could you explain why the 'non lineal approach' reduces the dynamics, and what effects turning this off have on the overall processing?

which programs are you using?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby darren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:46 pm

giancarlo wrote:
darren wrote:
enriquesilveti wrote:

which programs are you using?

I am responding to the post from Puresonic .. I am interested to find out what he discovered, and also what Enrique is alluding to when he talks about the 'Non Lineal Effect'.
There is nothing from my personal experience - I just find the information intriguing!

And for good reason, I think. If, as Puresonic says, there is a reduction in dynamics when using Nebula EQs due to, as Enrique says, the 'Non lineal effect' then I'm very interested to know how strong the dynamic suppression is when using EQs, why it happens, and the workarounds and their side-effects.

Cheers
Darren
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby puresonic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi Darren
I was only talking about a specific program , not about all Nebula EQ.
I you read the thread from the start you'll understand that my request was more about collecting opinions from users as I'm very new to Nebula.

You can easily make the test I made on the specific program (vintage eq) by simply listening a jazz program containing à good double bass thru the prog
(** setings 1331hz, -1.5db, Q=82%, out gain = + 0.48)

Then compare with any digital eq (with matching Q and gain)and you'll hear the double bass sound flat and muffled thru the Neb program.

Once again this is very specific as I've only tested the free version yet (and this eq prog speciffically)

** Note: this eq setting is the one I use to somehow "correct" my monitors and fit them to my listenig pleasure while preserving clarity and dynamic.
puresonic
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby puresonic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:07 am

I'll post samples tomorow so every one can listen to my test.....
puresonic
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby darren » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:31 pm

puresonic wrote:
I have tested the 2 following eq :
239-state of logic MD S
242-Vintage EQ I

The 239 didn't pleased me too much and I prefered the 242-vintage EQ-I for it's smooth response and good stereo imaging.
I made comparisons with 2 of my usual EQ (sonalksis SVC517 and Electriq from Aixcoustic) and found that the Nebula program was reducing the dynamic in a very noticeable way.

Hi Puresonic,

In the statement above, do you mean that the 239, 242 or both EQ's are reducing the dynamics?

Cheers
darren
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula