Login

EQ Special Edition without harmonics

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

EQ Special Edition without harmonics

Postby musicgreator » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:56 pm

when i use different bands of the same eq on the same signal, does it make sense to use only the full version with harmonics for the first band and clean versions for all other bands without loosing the original color of the sampled eq? In other words do i get everything distortion wise that the original eq has to offer from only one full version eq? Or does every band need its harmonic content in order to eq the way it's supposed to?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: EQ Special Edition without harmonics

Postby yewtreemagic » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Hmm...

Good question musicgreator! ;)

I suspect it depends to some extent on the design of the individual EQ.

The Mammoth EQ for instance is entirely passive apart from a final gain stage, so a single instance of that gain stage is sufficient to give a realistic version of the EQ, however many bands you run. Moreover, if it has an input transformer, that again only needs to be modeled once, so subsequent EQ bands could be single kernel.

On the other hand, the sound of any transformers included in each stage would need to be included in multi-kernels for total realism.

I suspect in practice that one multi-kernel band and singles for the others would work pretty well with some EQs, but others with active circuitry throughout might benefit from multi-kernel at every stage.

I suspect the best answer has to be:

Use your ears, but keep an eye on your computer's CPU consumption, and revert to singles if things are getting a bit too much :P

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby EricH » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:17 pm

However the MP EQ hardware also has band interaction as the filters are in parallel so I wonder what happens to each band and how faithfully they are represented when more than 1 band is inserted ? Is there any interplay?

I have literally just purchased Nebula 3 Pro and the mammoth EQ so cannot wait to get everything up and running. I am very exicted indeed.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby yewtreemagic » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:40 pm

EricH wrote:However the MP EQ hardware also has band interaction as the filters are in parallel so I wonder what happens to each band and how faithfully they are represented when more than 1 band is inserted ? Is there any interplay?

There won't be in Nebula Eric when you're running several instances in series - they are entirely separate.

I have literally just purchased Nebula 3 Pro and the mammoth EQ so cannot wait to get everything up and running. I am very exicted indeed.

Yes, I can still remember my first time too :mrgreen:

It may take you a little time to get used to the different workflow, but I think it's worth the extra effort ;)

Martin

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby EricH » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Sorry to hijack...if the new workflow is predominantly :

One band per insert, no problem at all... it is often all I need, I heard the quality and potential on 1 preset in the free version and thought... there is nothing I own ITB that sounds like that ! I was dreaming about this software last night, sent my ser no. in, cannot wait.The only issue is that I will install on my current and old PC first and plan to move to a newly built system in forthcoming months so I guess I will have to re-authorize for that one.

Wonderful website by the way Martin, very mysterious.
EricH
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Nooorway » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:11 pm

I do not remember if it was Alex B. or Michael from CDSounMaster who recomended to use harmonics when boosting an EQ and use the clean versions when you cut. And your ears of course ...
Nooorway
User Level II
User Level II

Postby faun2500 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:45 am

Alex B said that about the MLeq, Full versions for boosting and special versions for cutting. He said you will get the closest to the original sound of the eq like this.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby yewtreemagic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:24 pm

faun2500 wrote:Alex B said that about the MLeq, Full versions for boosting and special versions for cutting. He said you will get the closest to the original sound of the eq like this.

That makes perfect sense faun2500! 8-)

Harmonic contributions tend to be far more audible when you push something harder, so boosting would benefit from them, whereas cutting is rather like reducing the Drive control - all the harmonic stuff drops significantly ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Return to Working with Nebula