Login

Nebula Wiki

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula Wiki

Postby cpwade » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:26 am

On one hand I will tell you that when I stumbled upon nebula, I was lost and eventually frustrated, wished I had a wiki then. But like many, I stayed and stuck it out for the sound, upgraded and bought more and more libraries, and have a smooth "new" workflow that has become second nature.

On that note, for newcomers, it's a very wonderful idea, and I welcome the thought and the courage to qualify all the info and organize it in one space.

Having past the learning curve, I find that I have become accustomed to the nebula "custom" of data mining on forums if one wishes to further one's education on the topic, and found that I have been forced out of the sidelines and into an interactive mode and that's good. I share and participate now.. I have been nebulized. Also, I've stumbled across quite a few gems that do not qualify as facts so much as subjective opinions, and trust me, there are some heavy players on this board and those opinions I pay attention to.

In short, if you go down this road I will help any way I can, as I admire your tenacity. At this stage, will I personally find it useful? Not really.

I prefer to learn and grow through interaction. It would be a shame if we bypassed sharing opinions and experiences and skipped straight to a fact based "RSS" feed. The newbies will love you for it though, and a centralized data base will ease intimidation and make nebula less "cult movement like". In short it will boost sales no? Sorry if I'm waxing and my opinions seem, well.. nebulous.
cpwade

Postby woeischris » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback!

There's a part of me that likes scouring the boards and figuring things out, just like you.

There's another part of me that has work to do, wants to get it done fast, and would love a reference. The whole point of a Wiki is that the community builds it, so as we learn and new things become available, those who care to contribute will be able to add this information. (There is no chance in hell that I will be the only person contributing to this.) I'm still not totally sure of what every option in the XML file does. A detailed list of program versions and changes, outlined on one page instead of having to flip through multiple pages of multiple threads, would be cool. Detailed information about libraries and suggested uses, even if some of it is anecdotal -- imagine a page dedicated to R2R, all knowledge pooled. The presence of an organized, user-built manual (since that is what these things are, essentially) does not kill community or conversation.

But it seems that I'm the only one who thinks this is a great ideal, so I'll drop it.
woeischris

Postby cpwade » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:24 am

"There's another part of me that has work to do, wants to get it done fast, and would love a reference. "

That's the key right there. I like how your mind works.

I will confess that the thread on RTR opinions? Well, I've been copying and pasting setting and chain suggestions from the thread and others too and saving as notes for future reference especially for quick recall during mixing. "instant tutor" if you will. I've been doing that for months.

I hope you don't drop it.

It sounds like allot of work though. Extraction of data, collation, and data entry. Yikes.
cpwade

Postby mickdundee63 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:28 am

I think its a great idea. I find myself sometimes trawling back through the forums for information I already sourced but forgot. If a wiki existed it would have saved me a lot of time. I suspect there's lots of nebula users that don't post on the forum that would find it very useful as well. It would obviously be complementary to, and not duplicate the forum's function.

I also suspect the layout would be important. If it was just a big collation of information that you search then it wouldn't be much different to the forum. If it had a logical contents page with clear headings all the way from "Getting started" to "Sampling your own gear" and well thought out sub headings throughout then the structure and ability to cross reference definitions, terms and subjects with hotlinks could add up to a very useful tool.
mickdundee63
User Level I
User Level I

Postby woeischris » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:18 pm

cpwade wrote:I will confess that the thread on RTR opinions? Well, I've been copying and pasting setting and chain suggestions from the thread and others too and saving as notes for future reference especially for quick recall during mixing. "instant tutor" if you will. I've been doing that for months.

D:\nebula\notes\r2r tips.txt is mine.
woeischris

Postby cpwade » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:47 am

woeischris wrote:
cpwade wrote:I will confess that the thread on RTR opinions? Well, I've been copying and pasting setting and chain suggestions from the thread and others too and saving as notes for future reference especially for quick recall during mixing. "instant tutor" if you will. I've been doing that for months.

D:\nebula\notes\r2r tips.txt is mine.

Awesome! Ha! It's handy in the midst of that game face moment, 64 tracks yelling back at you saying "make me sit right" and you think, "crap... what was the XYZ library consensus on Acustica? what did he say again? it fits my scenario exactly". Yep.
cpwade

Postby Mplay » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 am

I also think putting up some basic "how to get started" video on youtube would be helpful. I've always had to help my friends because the sample rate conversion wasn't working properly or that the frequency duration wasn't long enough for a reverb. I explain how Nebula reverb has nothing to to with reverbs, and that you should use Nebula reverb for everything. Except for reverbs you need to tweak it :D. Next thing I have to tell them about gain staging, and how some libraries use different gain staging and that it's very important at which level you hit Nebula. Now they are ready to go!

I also think would be better for your business to ditch Nebula free. It's too good for some, they just want to make their mixes a little less digital, so they don't buy the full version. Others aren't impressed enough and don't buy. If you had a time-limited demo, with some top of the line 3rd party libraries, I think you'd sell more. Just my 2cents
Mplay

Postby mitch » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 am

YES! It is very useful to have a wiki!

There are so much posts on this forum, you definitely miss some informations if you don't read them all the time, and if you forget it, then where can you search? In the wiki!

The leaning curve for Nebula is a bit hard and long for people not very skilled in computers tweaking, and subtle things like XML files for instances.

And I must say that even if the forum is very living an helpful, I spent hours, finding out what I had to know...which is a bit boring.
I would myself be willing to contribute on explaining what I understood (but I still have to learn)
cheers!
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby ParadigmX » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi

i used to own and host the wiki; i kind of lost interest ages ago after noone else added any information.

I got an email a couple of weeks ago from my hosting company saying they had deleted that subdomain as it was over-run with spam and malware :? , after a long period of neglect.

Just so you know.
Regards

Ben
ParadigmX
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Definity » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Wiki section for NAT would be good, specialy in depth guides to NAT, and wlak through guides with pic on how to sample stuff and what evrey thing does, and what would happen if you alter that parameter
Definity

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula