Login

Tips for working with many instances of Nebula (workflow) ?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Tips for working with many instances of Nebula (workflow) ?

Postby subvertbeats » Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 am

Hello all

Do any of you have any tips for working with many instances of Nebula?

I have some project templates set up with many instances of Nebula, most instances offering different bands of EQ.

(In Samplitude at least) I find it next to impossible to remember/know which instance is which band, so it really hurts the workflow, even though the sound is great.

Any ideas/tips for making some of this easier/better?

Cheers!
subvertbeats
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Tips for working with many instances of Nebula (workflow) ?

Postby ngarjuna » Fri May 14, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm not sure how much of this will apply to your DAW, but here are a couple things that have helped me a lot in REAPER. I only have a dual core E6600 processor right now, so my Nebula power is somewhat limited compared to newer chips.

-Apply FX/Render a lot. Think of those as freezes, you can always trash it and re-render if you decide you want to change something. Ideally you have console/tape on every track and are adjusting/setting those values all together and in context; on a dual core, however, this is flat out not going to happen. In that event it's best to acknowledge a progressive approach. You can always adjust what you've already done in context once you have more items rendered and in (what could be) their final context.

-Keep FX offline. When I'm done rendering a track or item, I don't bypass the instance, I offline it. That way it is totally unloaded and, when I next go to open the project, it is very quick. Only the 2-buss programs (which I'm always mixing through) stay online.

-Project and Track templates can be abusive to your CPU. I have found it much faster to add what I want on a specific channel than to have to deal with the ramifications of loading 20 instances at once.

-I made Track FX Chains that I use for specific instances. In REAPER you can right click the FX browser and, since I have it setup, I get a series of cascading menus. I have each console (sub-organized by Input - Buss - Master, then those sub-organized by program), each Reverb unit, each EQ, tape machine, etc. that I use with any regularity made into these FX Chains.

-In addition to easy selection, I've changed the instance name of the FX so that it shows in my mixer as "White Vint Mic" or "EMT140 1s" or "Mammoth HM+". That way I can very easily browse my FX chain without having to open each instance.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby trunk » Mon May 17, 2010 4:31 am

yup +1 for reaper's fx chains,...

eq's i've got standard bands set up in sequence so lo,lo mid, mid, hi. that's 4 instances but the order remains the same so i know what is what.

for pre's i'll normally find a combination that works for a particular element and save that, so "heaviness" would be a chain for my kicks that i want to emphasise the subs on.... which might also work for bass instruments and even some vocalists.
trunk
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby subvertbeats » Sat May 22, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks both of you.

Im a mastering engineer, and I use Samplitude, so some of what you wrote isnt applicable (either because its oriented towards mixing, or because its tips based on things that reaper can do (such as naming plugin instances) that Samplitude cant do), but some things are indeed relevant so thanks for your valuable input
subvertbeats
User Level I
User Level I

Postby bottom1 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Wussup Ben...

Unfortunately, I don't work in Samplitude... But in Cubase, I have set up Buss and Group Channel strips in Cubase that I can load (same with Wavelab)... I process things thru those chains and internally sum the stems (or Bounce to new tracks)... whether is Alex's, CDS, or AITH, I've set up EQ bands that usually consist of HS (LPF), H, M, LM, and LS (HPF)... top to bottom... I do the same for Console emulation... The different Flavor of Consoles load with the Cubase Template... The Eq's get loaded as needed... Also each channel gets loaded with a panner as the last insert. Whatever isn't in use, gets deactivated.

The ability of being able to load these different strips saves time, and keeps me focused long enough to not start experimenting, esp when there are deadlines (and the client doesn't want to hear excuses).

I got into the habit of doing this last year... Last year my client (CBS Radio) hired me to record, edit and Mix a new song each we... their budget allowed me 6 hours to do this each week (talk about stress, and a need to figure out a formula)...

Anyway, last year Nebula and AlexB's consoles could be heard all over the Radio.. we got rave reviews... they even played the mixes at Redskins Stadium and the Verizon Center... and the Washington Post even mentioned them... I also ended up investing in a way more powerful computer to help me out with the workload... I'm doing Rap and Hip Hop tho (so my audience wasn't too demanding, although the Radio Stations limiters were unforgiving at times)... I can't wait for the Expanded Mammoth EQ, and when I can finally grasp/understand CDS's console... also this was prior to Alex's PRO series.

I think like any tools... once you know them... things become instinctive leading to creative reedon... Although Neb is slower, I've found the software as beneficial as a Patchbay when it comes to signal processing...

Next time your in DC... lets link... I look forward to doing business, now that your in the Mastering game... I'm a fan of your Pepa stuff and that was just production and mixing...
bottom1
User Level V
User Level V

Postby ParadigmX » Wed May 26, 2010 5:08 pm

hello!

not sure how macs work tbh, but on pc you can copy the dll file as many times as you like and rename, so you could have eg nebula LF, nebula MF, nebula HF, nebula etc... and give each a different skin. need to copy and rename the associated xml file as well.

might not apply to mac tho, not sure how they work.

Edit - some of the commercial ones also have chains such as doc fear so you can do more than one band at a time.

good luck. :)
ParadigmX
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby subvertbeats » Fri May 28, 2010 4:55 pm

ParadigmX wrote:not sure how macs work tbh, but on pc you can copy the dll file as many times as you like and rename, so you could have eg nebula LF, nebula MF, nebula HF, nebula etc... and give each a different skin. need to copy and rename the associated xml file as well.

might not apply to mac tho, not sure how they work.

Cheers Ben

Great idea! I knew about this possibility but hadnt thought about applying it here...nice one :)

(BTW Im running Win 7 x64 on my Mac Pro for Samplitude)
subvertbeats
User Level I
User Level I

Postby subvertbeats » Fri May 28, 2010 5:01 pm

bottom1 wrote:Wussup Ben...

Next time your in DC... lets link... I look forward to doing business, now that your in the Mastering game... I'm a fan of your Pepa stuff and that was just production and mixing...

Is that you Jay?

Yeh for sure, be great to catch up. Still working with a lot of hip hop here too.

Thanks for the tips, I'll drop you an email,

All the best mate

Ben
subvertbeats
User Level I
User Level I

Postby bottom1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:57 am

Yup, it's Jay... Look forward to catching up...
bottom1
User Level V
User Level V

Return to Working with Nebula