Login

Nebula Server / MAC OSX / Logic Pro (64bit) | Issues

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula Server / MAC OSX / Logic Pro (64bit) | Issues

Postby musicgreator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:37 am

cpwade wrote:Hi, thought I would jump in and say that I am using 1.3.499n server mac running 10.7. A simple test, 32 tracks at native 64 bit, Logic 9.1.4, 24 instances nebula loaded and played (run through 32 bit bridge), no kernel panic, no freeze, no crash, no crackle, on powerbook only. Huge improvement, about 20% more power (ram). So far very smooth. Nice Job. Easy and quick loading multiple instances with an already almost maxed session.

I expected trouble, but what I experienced was wonderful.
Works straight away, and I was never able to achieve these things with 10.6 and Nebula 3 pro basic. 8 instances nebula pro core 2 on 10.6 brought my lappy to it's knees.

* I should mention that I have never run server in LAN/network mode with my primary studio computers quite yet (three macs) server is still very new to me.

Kodos to all, amazing bit of code.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A511)
13-inch, Mid 2010 MacBook Pro

Cheers!

Paul
thats wonderful! When you say native 64Bit, do you mean that by using the server or is nebula 64Bit now? Whats your experience with lion so far, does it improve performance in logic etc.? Does everything work fine?
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:19 pm

you are right, we'll give a priority to native 64 bits
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby FrankydT » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Thank you Giancarlo. Now I'm really considering server version too.
From what I see, mac version seems stable.
But I prefer stay with Snow Leopard for now...
Maybe Nebula runs well, but I don't know for other plugins...
FrankydT
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dpclarkson » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Awesome! I'd really love to see a 64 bit version
for OSX! This will be SL-compatible, I hope?
Is the Pro3 version now also distributing
RAM? I was still confused about this.
Thanks!
dpclarkson

Postby cpwade » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 am

Paul[/quote]thats wonderful! When you say native 64Bit, do you mean that by using the server or is nebula 64Bit now? Whats your experience with lion so far, does it improve performance in logic etc.? Does everything work fine?[/quote]

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I refer to running Logic at native 64 bit, using 32 bit bridge. I expected failure or at least troubles (I hate the 32 bit bridge and tend to launch Logic in 32b just to avoid the bad code)
And of course Lion * native 64 bit code exclusively.

In a nutshell, I find that both Logic and Nebula server 1.3.499n are responding far beyond my expectations. Smoking fast, no issues, crackles, kernel panics, hangs etc. I can load three times more nebula instances on tracking now. All that on a laptop. I had no idea that loading and off line bouncing the neb instances changes the sound so much. It's great yes, but with real time mixing "through" the plugs is amazing, creamy and gooey, responsive. I simple did not have the firepower to ever try that. I'm an old school tape guy, coming from the days of Big Pink West Studios (Otari x3) in Marin County Ca, and I feel I went back in time.

I'm moving the changes to my main studio system now. I'm very impressed. Snow Leo was a patch for Leo, Lion is a true upgrade. That's how it feels anyway. Nebula seems to feel more at home without all the bloat code from 10.6 and loves Lion.

Looking forward to Logic X (H******* Mixbus spin) and Nebula 64, but even if none of that never happened, I'd be and am happy in the moment. Remember the goosebumps you get when you hear your own tracks piped through an old dusty high end tube desk for the first time? Well..

Honestly, it feels like Christmas right now, I really did not expect anything to just work right out of the box with my rig.

Synopsis for those that want to skip my blabber: OSX 10.7, Nebula Server 1.3.499n (run without server component) and Logic 9.1.4 booted in 64 bits utterly rocks. Logic in 32 bit mode is just as good. Not as snappy, but just as good.

Crap, now I have to buy a new tower. Confession: main studio is still PPC/Protools. Crap.

Cheers!
cpwade

Postby dpclarkson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:39 am

Are there more Lion-users here?
I'm still anxious to upgrade, mainly
because of compatibility with Kontakt
and a few other pieces of software.
Maybe I'll try Lion on a seperate drive.
dpclarkson

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:14 am

about lion wait a bit. Someone reported issues and at the moment I can't upgrade my main notebook, because the risk of not running properly the compiler any more.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby dpclarkson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 am

I'm not upgrading yet; Apogee Rosetta isn't compatible with Lion.
dpclarkson

Postby cpwade » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 pm

dpclarkson wrote:Are there more Lion-users here?
I'm still anxious to upgrade, mainly
because of compatibility with Kontakt
and a few other pieces of software.
Maybe I'll try Lion on a seperate drive.

That's what I did. I installed on a mirror drive of my system and put it through the paces. I was happy to discover that my system improved, but that's clearly not always the case. I lost protools 9, and all my avid drivers, as well as 2Caudio Aether. But on the laptop (writing computer) I use Logic as the primary and that is what mattered, and I was clearly lusting for a faster computer. I worked on the external for about a week before I moved it to the main drive. Every system is different, and I had no interest in hosing my system because apple says so. Some people also report ilok issues, but I have none. Maybe because I keep my system very lean.

Maybe I'm just lucky, and excited.

Keep an eye on this.. http://roaringapps.com/apps:table
cpwade

Postby pinnocio » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:11 am

Actually, just reverted back to SL 10.6 yesterday.
Though Lion was nice, it's ready yet for a DAW. Kontakt issues, Apogee and some other minor annoyances. Most plugins worked great, Logic was perfect with 10.7, but the Kontakt issue was too much actually.. That and "versions" (Lion's AutoSave) which is just wrong! Don't like it at all ;)
pinnocio
User Level I
User Level I

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula