Login

64bit vs 32bit....again!

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: 64bit vs 32bit....again!

Postby richie43 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 pm

I just messed around with settings on an existing project that has 4 or 5 various Nebula instances and I am still getting better CPU usage with higher DSPBUFFER settings and a 2048 buffer size. I will set up a dummy project like you suggested. Maybe I'll see better usage when I stress it out a bit.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks Mercado. I think I have found my sweet spot. 512-1024 for my Reaper buffer and 2048 for the DSPBUFFER.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:56 pm

richie43 wrote:Thanks Mercado. I think I have found my sweet spot. 512-1024 for my Reaper buffer and 2048 for the DSPBUFFER.

OK, that's pretty much what I've found as well. Too much latency = higher CPU, too low = higher CPU. I'm glad you found a good balance :)

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby blandry » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 pm

That was a very helpful read. Thank you both!
blandry
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby richie43 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:57 pm

Mercado_Negro wrote:OK, that's pretty much what I've found as well. Too much latency = higher CPU, too low = higher CPU. I'm glad you found a good balance :)

Cheers

Thanks Mercado. I would never had imagined those results. Before that test, as I added Nebula instances and watched my CPU get crunched and mutilated, I started raising both values. So when I had these values maxed out, I thought that the performance that I was getting was as good as it was going to get. So now I have learned that I had room to improve my resource usage. Yay!! I still dream of a bigger and badder computer that I could run a large mix in real-time with enough Nebula's to simulate an entire analog signal path.... Do computers like that even exist on this planet? Thanks again!
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 am

richie43 wrote:Do computers like that even exist on this planet? Thanks again!

Maybe not for regular human beings like us :)

That's also my dream. It's really frustrating to be bouncing over and over again just because our computers can't stand the heat :( I do it when mixing OTB but with Nebula is much slower, sadly (last week I spent 3 hours bouncing individual tracks from a 50+ tracks song just because I wanted that R2R+TapeBooster+PCS+Console input sound... sigh).
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby richie43 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:27 am

Ah, Mercado.... I have a song of my own that I have been trying to get to sound as good as I know it should for over 2 years. It's my Opus, you could say. It has almost 100 tracks and I've still trying to find a Jaco Pastorius meets Geddy Lee bass player to fill it out so the vocalist I have in the wings can track his parts. I don't know your background, but I have about 20 years of all analog audio and my ears were never as happy with digital until I met my musical mistress named Nebula... Ok, so dramatic, but you get my point, right? I spent a good part of a day processing all of the pre-eq Nebula for this song recently; R2R, TB+, MWC (inputs, sends, etc!). It sounds awesome, but I totally understand how you feel. I thought the purchase of my quad core was going to make everything with digital audio so easy. That's also when I started down the Nebula road, so it's like I am back to my days of standard VST's on a simple dual core. Sigh. But the sound is so much better, I rarely even consider ditching the Nebula sound. In fact, I just did an all non-Nebula mix of that same song I was referring to, and although it sounds GOOD, it doesn't sound Nebula good. Sigh again....
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula