Login

Nebula Marketing Hype - especially eq's and compressors

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula Marketing Hype - especially eq's and compressors

Postby faun2500 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 pm

If compressors don't work then how am I using only NEB comps? :o
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby biomuse » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm really teetering over whether to just ignore this thread or respond. It's that ridiculous.

Cactuseskimo: You are on a grand total of Post Number 5 on this forum.
Literally: "Posts: 5"

By "Posts: 2" you had already "uncovered" through your "research" all of the apparently hidden limitations of Nebula (all of which are immediately obvious to anyone with a minute to spend on the free, fully functional demo, whose existence was also, somehow, hidden from you), and saw fit to give your second post a smear of a title and to insinuate fanboyism.

Here's a hint: As a partial list, I own - (not have demoed, but own and have extensively used) every single Waves, Softube, Elysia, Sonalksis, Duende Native, and Abbey Road equalizer and compressor on the market. I have spent and continue to spend - literally - tens of thousands of dollars on audio software of all kinds. So my sunk costs are not in Nebula -they're in the other stuff. If anything, I should be the guy telling you that "you get what you pay for" etc. And in general, I think that holds true.

But in this case, that would be incorrect. Nebula is an immense value because of its state of development, but its sound makes it well worth the inconvenience. If you try the demo (which I still don't get the sense that you have,) you will either hear that or you won't. If you don't, I can't help you.

But either way, I don't see the point of your posting in this trolling style. It is inappropriate. You claim to have "discovered" something that is instead merely obvious, and your tone is, nonsensically, accusatory. If you had any sense of fairness at all, you would at the very least remove "EQ's" from the title of this post.

There is not a single thing that is "hyped" about Nebula's EQs. I own everything else, and they are nearly all I use now. If anything, they are the single most underhyped, underappreciated plugin product on the market.

Yes, the compressors need work on handling fast transients. So it is reasonable to suggest that someone marketing a fast compressor as "exactly like the original" may be stretching things to the point of hype. But that is not universally what has happened - Eric's (rhythminmind) varimu compressor, for example is not only gorgeous but really works as it's supposed to. In general, Nebula emulation of a comp that isn't designed to be a transient-smasher does really work the way it's supposed to and is not just a "color tool" but a real, functional compressor.

So I would suggest you do more listening (to Nebula) and less talking and defending yourself for the moment. You'll probably do what I did: try the demo, fret about the workflow changes, and then end up staying for the sound. The sound.

(It is, by the way, nothing but a measure of Giancarlo and Enrique's largesse that they've chosen to leave this post up. I don't work with or have any association with Acustica, but that's just one demonstration of their open, communitarian style. On some of the proprietary boards I frequent, they don't put up with unfounded nonsense like this; you'd have been gone by now. Keep in mind that you're slamming one talented mathematician and one talented programmer, and that's it, when you tell us all what "should" have been done by now.)
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby cactuseskimo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Okay guys, you got me . . . I'm a troll. Now please belittle me because my opinion doesn't match yours, and then warn others to stop replying so I don't continue to troll.

Giancarlo, yes please close this thread as it probably will not produce anything more useful. Thanks to those who actually posted some thoughtful responses and encouraged me to maybe look at things differently instead of just immediately getting offended and going on a witch hunt because I thought there were some problems with Nebula that were being whitewashed.

No offense to the dev's either who are seemingly brilliant guys. I'm sure they will continue to improve Nebula, but when you run a company that sells products to the public, criticism and negative feedback are part of the game.
cactuseskimo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby mertayy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Negative feedback depends on motive of person as if he/she is asking for improvement or attacking.

From what I understand, you don't have enough background research, experience with tool or compared enough to what you already have.

So probably you started by asking the wrong questions. Most users here are helpful and similar questions have been answered over and over again when each member was new here (I remember asking pretty stupid questions when I was new but still got decent answers to them).

What I mean is rather than criticizing, first ask for where to find the info needed. If it doesn't exist then explain and ask what you need so that you can befefit from the sounds we all like.

Maybe I missed but which compressor preset are you refering to? and if possible sharing the link to where you read about it would also be nice.

As for marketing, maybe its subjective I'm not sure but there are many well known mix-mastering engineers (some famous) who uses nebula but doesn't join the forum here or comments much about it on other forums...so whatever the problem is, it can't be that bad ;)
mertayy

Postby cpwade » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:26 pm

biomuse wrote:I'm really teetering over whether to just ignore this thread or respond. It's that ridiculous.

Cactuseskimo: You are on a grand total of Post Number 5 on this forum.
Literally: "Posts: 5"

By "Posts: 2" you had already "uncovered" through your "research" all of the apparently hidden limitations of Nebula (all of which are immediately obvious to anyone with a minute to spend on the free, fully functional demo, whose existence was also, somehow, hidden from you), and saw fit to give your second post a smear of a title and to insinuate fanboyism.

Here's a hint: As a partial list, I own - (not have demoed, but own and have extensively used) every single Waves, Softube, Elysia, Sonalksis, Duende Native, and Abbey Road equalizer and compressor on the market. I have spent and continue to spend - literally - tens of thousands of dollars on audio software of all kinds. So my sunk costs are not in Nebula -they're in the other stuff. If anything, I should be the guy telling you that "you get what you pay for" etc. And in general, I think that holds true.

But in this case, that would be incorrect. Nebula is an immense value because of its state of development, but its sound makes it well worth the inconvenience. If you try the demo (which I still don't get the sense that you have,) you will either hear that or you won't. If you don't, I can't help you.

But either way, I don't see the point of your posting in this trolling style. It is inappropriate. You claim to have "discovered" something that is instead merely obvious, and your tone is, nonsensically, accusatory. If you had any sense of fairness at all, you would at the very least remove "EQ's" from the title of this post.

There is not a single thing that is "hyped" about Nebula's EQs. I own everything else, and they are nearly all I use now. If anything, they are the single most underhyped, underappreciated plugin product on the market.

Yes, the compressors need work on handling fast transients. So it is reasonable to suggest that someone marketing a fast compressor as "exactly like the original" may be stretching things to the point of hype. But that is not universally what has happened - Eric's (rhythminmind) varimu compressor, for example is not only gorgeous but really works as it's supposed to. In general, Nebula emulation of a comp that isn't designed to be a transient-smasher does really work the way it's supposed to and is not just a "color tool" but a real, functional compressor.

So I would suggest you do more listening (to Nebula) and less talking and defending yourself for the moment. You'll probably do what I did: try the demo, fret about the workflow changes, and then end up staying for the sound. The sound.

(It is, by the way, nothing but a measure of Giancarlo and Enrique's largesse that they've chosen to leave this post up. I don't work with or have any association with Acustica, but that's just one demonstration of their open, communitarian style. On some of the proprietary boards I frequent, they don't put up with unfounded nonsense like this; you'd have been gone by now. Keep in mind that you're slamming one talented mathematician and one talented programmer, and that's it, when you tell us all what "should" have been done by now.)

This my friend, is incredibly well written.
cpwade

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:08 am

This my friend, is incredibly well written.

yes, it was!
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Mplay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 am

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)
Mplay

Postby elam » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:30 pm

It's a good one :D

So do it like me : Pull out the guns when you wake up.With few hours of sleep,fvck up,sleepy brain,non diplomatic mood,kids yellin and answer posts before you hit the studio...

Now you can keep your nites for your love one.

Is that simple ? ;)

EDIT : Oh and thanks for the Gemini Sidechain Mplay.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:43 pm

Mplay wrote:Image

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

That is awesome.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert