Login

Nebula Marketing Hype - especially eq's and compressors

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Nebula Marketing Hype - especially eq's and compressors

Postby blandry » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 pm

What hype? Seems to me the Nebula folks are the only ones that actually ADMIT the limitations of the software!

How many times have you heard b.s. "testimonials" regarding Waves, Slate, and UAD saying "I can't tell the difference between the hardware and software"?

That said, it would be nice to see up-front on the Acustica site how much of a big experiment this really is.....but really I can't say that I care anymore.

It's the SOUND that we're chasing. I hope the experiment never ends.
blandry
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby woeischris » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 am

I'd pay twice the price for AlexB's MLC alone. Do a mix without it or the CLC, then apply the channels and groups correctly, export, and say with a straight face that it's hype. I can't force my opinion on anyone but I will not take seriously the opinion of anyone who says that it isn't worth it.

Beyond that, the nice thing about it is that nobody is forced to use it. If you don't care enough about your music to make the tiny investment and adjust your workflow, that's kind of your problem. There wouldn't be so many devoted users if it was snake oil. Maybe you just... Aren't very serious? Good? Patient? Flexible?
woeischris

Postby DavidMeShow » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:46 am

Is he a guy from waves ? Ahah just kidding... :lol:
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cactuseskimo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:31 am

woeischris wrote:I'd pay twice the price for AlexB's MLC alone. Do a mix without it or the CLC, then apply the channels and groups correctly, export, and say with a straight face that it's hype. I can't force my opinion on anyone but I will not take seriously the opinion of anyone who says that it isn't worth it.

Beyond that, the nice thing about it is that nobody is forced to use it. If you don't care enough about your music to make the tiny investment and adjust your workflow, that's kind of your problem. There wouldn't be so many devoted users if it was snake oil. Maybe you just... Aren't very serious? Good? Patient? Flexible?

I appreciate people's well thought-out replies even if they disagree with my post, but this is neither well-thought out, or even has much to do with my post. No one is saying it's snake oil, or that it doesn't sound good. My frustrations are due to what I feel is a lack of transparency of the functional side of Nebula AND the inability to properly represent compressors.

Others have pointed out that most of the hype actually comes from the users themselves, and there is a free version to try out . . . so I guess those points are certainly valid.

Anyway, I'm not sure how logical a conversation we can have as you seem to have already written me off as a person who is inflexible, impatient, and not a good recording/mixing engineer all based on the fact that I had some qualms with Nebula.

If you'd like, you can check out my full-length album that I fully wrote, recorded and mixed, and patiently spent a couple of years doing so:
http://keepyouhonest.bandcamp.com/album/keep-you-honest
cactuseskimo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby elam » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:49 am

Boy that's a great marketing plan that you have here.
Very "transparent" !

Seriously: Were you really serious with what you said about Nebula, or was it just to move a little more copies of your last record ? :lol:

Anyway read all the above answers there's a lot of worthy informations.

Take care.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby mickdundee63 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 am

I think that criticisms like these need to be treated as genuine regardless and addressed to strengthen the product. Having said that, the marketing says that it "flawlessly emulates". That means that its emulation process is flawless, not that its workflow is. So I don't see how it is misleading. A quick google of nebula will lead you to gearslutz where nebula's stellar sound v different workflow is documented about a million times.
mickdundee63
User Level I
User Level I

Postby faun2500 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:53 am

When I saw the TV advert for Nebula3Pro I thought "I just got to have it"!
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cactuseskimo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:08 pm

elam wrote:Boy that's a great marketing plan that you have here.
Very "transparent" !

Seriously: Were you really serious with what you said about Nebula, or was it just to move a little more copies of your last record ? :lol:

Anyway read all the above answers there's a lot of worthy informations.

Take care.

Yes, you figured me out. I had a hankering for a McDonald's Happy Meal and was a little short on change . . . or it could be that I was posting examples of my work after the above poster reasoned that I couldn't be much of a recording engineer if I was complaining about Nebula.

A-N-Y-way, some of the replies have been thoughtful and provided some good info, so thanks for taking the time to post your views. I'm not even ruling out that I won't purchase Nebula in the future. Just that I think some things need to be addressed, and instead of being a "yes" man, thought I would post my views.
cactuseskimo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby cactuseskimo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 pm

mickdundee63 wrote:I think that criticisms like these need to be treated as genuine regardless and addressed to strengthen the product. Having said that, the marketing says that it "flawlessly emulates". That means that its emulation process is flawless, not that its workflow is. So I don't see how it is misleading. A quick google of nebula will lead you to gearslutz where nebula's stellar sound v different workflow is documented about a million times.

Part of an emulation to me IS the workflow. if waves released an emulation of an eq that had each band in separate vst plugins, I would probably say it wasn't a very good emulation.

Regardless if you disagree with that, the compressors are definitely not flawless, and that has nothing to do with the workflow.

Bottom line - Compressor emulations are generally advertised as being part of Nebula. 3rd party dev's also sell compressor packs. They however do not work properly in Nebula, and even though they might still be useful, this is where a lot of my problem with Nebula lies.
cactuseskimo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby nino » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Where else can you have this:
I wrote to giancarlo with one specific thing that I would like to see in Nebula..and he said OK
Ill implement it new update tomorrow!!!

And,

When I jumped in to NebulaServer upgrade giancarlo said:
Don't buy anything until you hear some feedback (about new major updates).

I love the sound, I love the feeling when you work with it,
I love offline rendering, I love support, I love to tweak it.

Yes, UAD and other vst plugs are much faster for short deadline projects, but when I have time its like working in the old days.

If you like it use it, if you don't then don't.
nino
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula