Login

Nebula Marketing Hype - especially eq's and compressors

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula Marketing Hype - especially eq's and compressors

Postby cactuseskimo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Wow, I'm glad I did some research before just jumping into Nebula. Acustica had me believing that I could buy this plugin and it would "flawlessly emulate analog processors in the digital domain." (directly from the website).

Of course, I didn't expect this to be 100% true, but what a load of hype! Having to load an instance of Nebula for every eq band when emulating a parametric eq is not flawless. Compressors that simply do not work is not flawless (and I loved the forum posting where the dev basically told everyone to stop whining about it). Having to use separate compression plugs to get the full R2R sound is not flawless.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this post, and you guys are going to post a bunch of workarounds where I have to combine other vst's and such, but my intention is two-fold:

1)To complain about the less than transparent marketing where one has to dig quite a bit to find out the real story. Yeah, it's like that with everything . . . but when a compressor can't properly work, C'mon, that's a serious issue, and literature advertising the working-use of compressors in Nebula should be removed.
2) To hopefully give the dev a little kick in the ars. Of course I see the potential of Nebula, and I want that potential, and I'm frustrated that it's not as advertised. I've heard that maybe a hybrid compression could be implemented within Nebula which would at least make the compressors work, and I think this would actually be a very desired short-term fix while research continues on kernel technology.

Anyway, right now, I see Nebula as what it is:
-a great "color" tool
-a good reverb tool (although, limited compared to all the free IR's out there for straight convo reverbs)
-a decent effects tool
-a passable eq tool (have to use workarounds and a concise workflow to really make it efficient)
-a broken compressor (can be used for color, or some light compression)

I know you all are on the Neb bandwagon, but it's still a very bumpy ride, and I just don't appreciate the advertised premise that it's actually very smooth.
cactuseskimo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Nebula Marketing Hype - especially eq's and compressors

Postby Benjaminjo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Well there are some people in the audio world, mainly musicians and engineers (like me), that are obsessed by just 1 thing: sound.
And if, like me, they aren't rich enough to buy all the esoteric hardware needed, then some workarounds are more than acceptable to have that sound quality that Nebula is able to give you (at a fraction of the cost).
If this is clearly advertised or not by the company, I dont know and really I dont care, because you know what? I'm obsessed with just one thing, all the rest is chitchat.
Benjaminjo
User Level III
User Level III

Postby elam » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Who's first ????
:shock: Nobody ? OK Let me get that one real quick I got 10mns !

1 - When I see your handle (nick name) you might understand this one :
Ears are like good wine.The older they get the better they become.(to a certain extend I must admit :lol: ).

I understand that you want everything,right now and at the minimum cost (or free) like a lot of people nowadays but it's just not possible boy.Put that in your ears ones and for all.YOU NEED TIME TO BUILD period.

Now :
cactuseskimo wrote:I'm glad I did some research before just jumping into Nebula

Their was a website before this one.Go and read it all.After go to every 3rd party developers sites and read their forums AND manuals.Now you start to do "some research".

cactuseskimo wrote:flawlessly

English (which is far for my first language) is like every other languages,one word can mean a lot of different things. Same goes with "flawlessly".Like "parfait" in french...several meanings.

cactuseskimo wrote: load of hype

I don't think Giancarlo give up money like Slate to talk good about Nebula.(Otherwise gimme some boy :lol: !).People like Nebula and talk good about it.Like a good old record.Word of mouth of the 21th century : Forums.

cactuseskimo wrote:every eq band when emulating a parametric eq is not flawless

Except if you work on a physical console/hardware you never tweak 2 knobs at the same time do you ? So ? And if you use a controller assign Nebula accordingly.
If you have "done your research" you'd have heard that "Nebula bend your work flow" try to buy a real tape machine and see what happen.

cactuseskimo wrote: Compressors that simply do not work is not flawless

They are working! They sure need amelioration that's true.The question is how do you work with a compressor and why do you use them for ?

cactuseskimo wrote: less than transparent marketing

Do ever see a transparent marketing in your life ?
Tell me where you see the last Nebula banner ? Or giveaway or seasonal sales or whatever ?

cactuseskimo wrote:to find out the real story.

I think you didn't find out shit.Dig a little more.

cactuseskimo wrote:To hopefully give the dev a little kick in the ars

We all tried.They don't need that.They do what they wanna do,don't worry for them.They're OK.

cactuseskimo wrote: I see the potential of Nebula
I'm sure about the fact that you SEE.BUT I'm not sure that you really EAR it and that's may be where the problem is...

cactuseskimo wrote:a great "color" tool

More "vivid" than the actual market or if you want : Way closer to the HW than any others.
cactuseskimo wrote:a good reverb tool (although, limited compared to all the free IR's out there for straight convo reverbs)

Again gimme a convo.whon can even come close ? Did you really try Nebula ???? Try them first and come back here.
cactuseskimo wrote:a decent effects tool

What effects are you talking about ? Phasers,delays ? You off boy... that's really WHERE Nebula need ameliorations ...

cactuseskimo wrote:a passable eq tool (have to use workarounds and a concise workflow to really make it efficient)

I need a smiley for this one :cry:

pffff...10mns...

So dig a "little bit" more.Allow your ears to grow.And come back when you're ready.
And change your name when you do it maybe "Stalagmitesombrero".
One.

Oh and I ain't got time now to check my spelling so there might be some edits later ...

EDIT : English difficulties especially in the morning ;)
I was a little ruff so now you guys can come with the good cop arguments ;)
Last edited by elam on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:24 pm

that description is used for nebula 3 free, which is a full functional product. You can test it before buying and it answers to all your questions. Marketing hype is something used when you can can test the product, otherwise I expect you compare with other products and explain why you don't agree with our statements. I think they are the usual description used in this little plugin world, the only difference is you and what you are looking for
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby TranscendingMusic » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:36 pm

cactuseskimo I think looking at from a different perspective will help you understand why it's stated as such about Nebula. I can appreciate what you're saying through your various points but that's looking at all things being equal. When it comes to nebula, things are perpetual. Every year Nebula gets better and better, closer to realism. This doesn't write-off whatever shortcomings it may have now, but one must understand what Nebula is with a bit of forsight. One must know that it's direction is up so to speak. Everything you hear and see now is a culmination from a lower point and again Nebula is only going higher each time. From the perspective that it is evolving, still in its gestation, one can't deny that what it does is closer to analog than anything before. So, imagine when this is holistically accomplished throughout? In other words, in its infancy, Nebula is more on the road of being a mirror image to analog than anything else so far. If one can appreciate that, one can then realize where this Nebula train is headed. If at this point, this is the end all be all of what Nebula is, in a final state, then I would take your points whole-heartedly as something being wrong with Nebula. But it's an evolution, observe only its good points for the bad points will be history at some point as the past 4 or 5 years of Nebula have shown us already.
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby fuseburn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:38 pm

cactuseskimo, actually you're right in a few spots.
The biggest mistake is pretending that everything is perfectly working in nebula. Everyone here is aware that we're all a big paying beta testing team. We all accepted that, given the fact that the plugin is pretty cheap - at least it used to be.
But once you found out what exactly nebula can do and can't do, you stop complaining.

Still, there's no denying that I'd be buying a lot more libraries if I had more trust in the platform itself. There are reproducible bugs in the plugin which haven't been fixed for ages. The company is run by a few brave lonely fighters, who seem to be overloaded and stressed most of the time - not really the kind of profile which screams "Guaranteed continued development for at least 10 more years" :D

However, if you think that Nebula's Reverb capabilities are comparable to standard IRs, you're probably deaf :mrgreen:
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby biomuse » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:03 pm

cactuseskimo wrote:1)To complain about the less than transparent marketing where one has to dig quite a bit to find out the real story.

There is a fully functional demo freely available which revealed all of Nebula's limitations and advantages to me within ten minutes of downloading it.

Given that fact, your above comment (particularly in the era of Slate) is gallingly unfair.

Have you actually tried the demo or not?
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Tim Petherick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:44 pm

I don't even see that much marketing for nebula let alone hype!!

I'm a very happy customer and can't stand hype and if you don't mind me saying -most people on this forum just want nebula to get better and see nebula as a very strong plugin for the future.In my mind is probably the best thing out there at the moment .

Plus what you get for the money is amazing!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:00 pm

timp wrote:
Plus what you get for the money is amazing!

+ a zillion on that.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mertayy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:39 pm

cactuseskimo wrote:Wow, I'm glad I did some research before just jumping into Nebula. Acustica had me believing that I could buy this plugin and it would "flawlessly emulate analog processors in the digital domain." (directly from the website).

I won't comment of flawlessly emulating but I'll remind you what digidesign-waves did for the S*L bundle sometime ago...

Since someone mentioned, do you follow the steven slate VCC topic on gearslutz? people are still waiting for it to work properly :lol:

Oh this also reminded me of UAD S*L bundle, just to name it S*L they asked serious money from users as I read.

So about Nebula; A working demo with no time limit, occasional hiss or mute is pretty rare in the plug-in world.

Also for years I've been using Nebula and never paid anything extra just to keep what I bought working.

And these guys marketing is currently only on forums but topics are usually created by customers not developers.

So its easy to say no software company has ever achieved what Nebula did given these facts, and the secret is not in the marketing; the product is better than whats available as an alternative, simple as that.
mertayy

Next

Return to Working with Nebula