Login

Could someone please help explain EQ's for Nebula?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Could someone please help explain EQ's for Nebula?

Postby cactuseskimo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:19 am

It seems after doing some reading that most Nebula programs only load one band at a time . . . is this correct? If I wanted to load a four band eq, would I need to load four instances of nebula? What about eq's with parametric bands like a pultec?

Just want to know what I might be getting myself into with Nebula.
cactuseskimo
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: Could someone please help explain EQ's for Nebula?

Postby biomuse » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:29 am

Generally speaking, it's one band at a time. Frequency, Q and drive can all be adjusted for that band.

Some special EQ 'combo' programs have several bands at once, but usually if they do those bands will not be adjustable by Hz/Q.

Most DAWs have a way to save a set of inserts as a preset, so you can create your own EQ configurations for instant recall. If that's not a built in feature of your DAW, you can use plugins such as Plogue Bidule AU or other multiplug environments to do the same thing.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:30 am

Yes, it's true. Most eq's are one band per instance. Working with Nebula, especially if you commit to using all or nearly all Nebula, requires a major shift of thinking regarding your work-flow. This is not a simple replacement for your collections of VST's, but rather a bold new way to explore very close to analog depth and harmonic content in the digital realm. As I get deeper into it, I am blown away at how much my mixes have changed. Nebula is not the tool to use in front of a paying client, the pace may make them crazy! But the end product audio processed with Nebula can be the finest any client may ever hear come from an ITB mix. Possibly better than a true analog mix since Nebula contains most of the nuances and imperfections of their analog counterparts while leaving out the noise, maintenance, bad circuits, and such.
by the way, there are a few really nice Pultec emulations out there. I own 3 and they are all compatible but different. Good luck and I suggest for you to jump in full force.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dacaveprods » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 pm

@richie43: Well Said!!!
dacaveprods

Postby richie43 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks dacaveprods. I am in my 40's, have a bunch of all analog experience behind me, and it took me until Nebula to really have confidence in digital audio. my ears are happy these days, this stuff blows me away.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula