Login

Nebula and stereo

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Nebula and stereo

Postby woeischris » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Can G or someone please explain the various options on the MAST page pertaining to stereo signals? What libraries should we use and not use on stereo busses? I ask because I found that placing an R2R on my stereo guitar channel kind of muddied up my imaging and it makes me wonder if I've been doing something very wrong for a while now.
woeischris

Re: Nebula and stereo

Postby TranscendingMusic » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Put simply, pretty much any program can be used on a stereo bus. What makes it "good" or "bad" depends on what is being used. And what is being used can be considered right for the job depending on how it's created and what it was created from. This is not pertaining to good or bad quality mind you. For example, a tape or distortion program may introduce certain types of harmonic distortion that affect imaging in such a way that it doesn't help a stereo bus. It even could very well be using the wrong preset or wrong "color" for a given track - simple as that.
Now, for technical imaging issues there's a small trick as I've expressed a couple times (like the vcult thread at gearslutz) is to create dual mono tracks for your stereo bus. Then use two instances total (1 on one bus, the other on the other bus :) ) Now you are widening the image which will facilitate a particular plugin that perhaps sounded off in the imaging department.
I always take the words "wrong", "off" or "bad" with a grain of salt because usually, especially with quality Nebula presets, it's just a matter of circumstance.
Hope this helps otherwise I'm blabbering :P
mixing | mastering
Win 10 x64 | Sonar Platinum x64 | 3930K(OC)
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:47 am

That's a great idea. Any chance you can tell me how to do that in Reaper?
woeischris

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:17 am

woeischris wrote:That's a great idea. Any chance you can tell me how to do that in Reaper?

Create 2 tracks (buss L and buss R) instead of one and send all relevant tracks to them.

For example, if you have

Track 1 Kick
Track 2 Claps

you create 2 tracks and label them as

Track 3 Buss L
Track 4 Buss R

then you send

Track 1 Kick to Buss L and Buss R like this (don't forget to disable the "Master/Parent send"):

sendtrack1.png
sendtrack1.png (20.84 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

Now do the same for Track 2 Claps. Done.

I don't see it useful for Busses to be honest since most programs for buss duties work perfect because they were created with that in mind, but I guess it won't hurt to try it and experiment :)

I do separate ALL my stereo tracks into 2 mono tracks and I always try to use different programs on each with different values, if possible. I also put tracks in folders. For instance:

Synth1 (Folder)

Synth1-L (Child):
OTR-15-499-0 + TapeBoost96Hi1 + VTM-M2 + PCS A512 + MLC IL1 + CLeQ LM (at 490Hz and -2.0dB) + PoolTeQ MF (at 3KCS and +2.0dB and a 9.0 bandwidth)

Synth1-R (Child):
OTR-15-499-0b + TapeBoost96Hi2 + VTM-M2 + PCS A512 (with a bit of drive, just a bit) + MLC IL2 + CLeQ LM (at 491Hz and -2.3dB) + PoolTeQ MF (at 3KCS and +2.5dB and a 7.0 bandwidth)

These minor differences have a huge impact in the sound and stereo image. This is one of the best tricks I've learned after all these years (a "natural" situation in the real world since most HW units don't do the same on both channels, even if they're "stereo-linked" :) ).

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby TranscendingMusic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:03 pm

MC pretty much summed it up right there...

Since Nebula does convey psuedo random behavior, using a separate instance like this on each track will still render differences between them 8-)
Which like HW, is difficult to null Nebula even against the same preset.
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Brilliant, thank you! I've always hard panned my guitars and then sent them to a single Guitars buss but never considered splitting everything else into two channels at the very end. It makes perfect sense. Can't wait to give this a shot.
woeischris

Postby woeischris » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 am

One last question for you. Mercado, in your example, you are sending it out to each channel as mono. Is there are benefit to doing it this way instead of sending as stereo, adjusting the pan law, and using an AlexB pan program on each channel?
woeischris

Postby TranscendingMusic » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:27 am

If using two copies of the stereo, you'll want to keep each one stereo and pan accordingly. If you make each of them mono with this method then both left and right will be shared equally as one channel even if you pan, right? So pan them respectively in stereo. If they're split into actual dual mono then send to the bus and pan there.
mixing | mastering
TranscendingMusic
Expert
Expert

Postby Mercado_Negro » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:00 am

Yes, you can use AlexB's panners on those 2 busses. Just send your tracks via 1/2 to 1/2, to both busses. See, it's just the same as using your tracks' pans in this case (that's why I didn't pan those 2 busses: because I was sending my tracks in mono so I kept the pans at center on both buss-l and buss-r).

By the way, you don't need to change your busses' pan law because AlexB's panners already have it.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby woeischris » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Are you sure about that? I swear I read somewhere that you need to change your pan law to match Alex's.

Thanks for your help, guys.
woeischris

Next

Return to Working with Nebula