Login

upgrading from 3 to server / installation

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

upgrading from 3 to server / installation

Postby mitch » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi, I own an N3Pro, and recently purchased the sever upgrade.
I clicked install and it asked me as usually where to create an install file.
I do not know if I should point the N3Pro folder during the installation process and if there is a risk that the program and vector files might be overwritten?
(I would like to avoid re-installing all the N2p and N2V files...)

Can I install Server in another installation folder and simply copy/past the two DLL's in my N3Pro programm file? That would mean modify some xml files?

Best regards

Mitch
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Re: upgrading from 3 to server / installation

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:59 am

during the installation it prompts the nebulatemprepository. You should select exactly your current nebulatemprepository folder, otherwise nebula will stop working. Nebulatemprepository = nebula data folder. In the future we'll make this step more robust
For using the server you could just run nebula as before, without running the server component, unless you are running it on a different server.
Which is your case exactly?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mitch » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi!
I would like to know if when the server upgrade is installed, the two new DLL's (one "Nebula" and one "Nebula reverb") should overwrite the existing N3Pro DLL's or if the two new DLL's should be installed on a separate file inside the nebulatemprepository folder.

When I did the install of the server upgrade first, I think I remember that it did make a separate folder inside the nebulatemprepository folder, called VST, or something like that.
That first server install I did turned out not to work, so I am re-installing Nebula from zero and would like to have it working fully this time.

I am a bit confused, because in the free version, the server seems to be a stand alone application, and there are only two DLL'S (one "Nebulafree" and one "Nebulareverbfree"), and not four.

Then, if the four DLL's are required, should I point to my DAW that there are new VST'S plugin's so when I want to use the server instance, I should choose a server Nebula plugin in my plugin' list?

Thank you for your explanations

Mitch
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Nebula DLL and Nebula Client DLL are almost the same code but Nebula3PRO is not server enable and is not CORE3. In order to keep backwards compatibility I recommend this name scheme:

. Nebula3Cx86.dll for Nebula Client DLL (or Nebula3Cx64.dll if you are in x64 host).

. Nebula3Cx86 Reverb.dll for Nebula Reverb Client DLL (or Nebula3Cx64 Reverb.dll if you are in x64 host).

.Make a copy and Rename Nebula3Cx86.dll as Nebula3.dll (idem if your in x64 host) for backwards compatibility.

. Make a copy and Rename Nebula3Cx86 as Reverb.dll to Nebula3 Reverb.dll (idem if your in x64 host) for backwards compatibility.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby mitch » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Sorry but I need more details, I'm lost here...
Nebula DLL and Nebula Client DLL are almost the same code but Nebula3PRO is not server enable and is not CORE3.

Can you explain further what is Nebula Client DLL?
Is it the name you give to the two DLL's installed by
the N3Pro server upgrade?
I think their original names when you install the server upgrade is the same as the one of the normal N3Pro DLL's, which is a bit confusing.. :roll:

.Make a copy and Rename Nebula3Cx86.dll as Nebula3.dll (idem if your in x64 host) for backwards compatibility.

So I am trying to figure out:
should I take the two new DLL's installed through sever upgrade, change their name to "Nebula3Cx86.dll" and "Nebula3Cx86 Reverb" and then copy them and
change the name of the copy to "Nebula3.dll" and "Nebula3 Reverb.dll"?

And then I should replace the original N3Pro.dll and N3ProReverb.dll by the two new dll's (the ones installed through server upgrade, but with same names?)
And should this replacement take place through a simple process of erase file / copy new file ?
Is that this the proper way of installing the server upgrade?

Or should the two older dll's be overwritten during the server upgrade installation process?

Soooo, at the end we have four DLL's with the following names:
-"Nebula3.dll"
-"Nebula3 Reverb.dll"
-"Nebula3Cx86.dll" (same as "Nebula3.dll" with different name)
-"Nebula3Cx86 Reverb"(same as "Nebula3 Reverb.dll" with different name)

And they will all be in the Nebulaprepository folder one next to the other without any other subfolder?

And what about the XML files ?
Should I make a copy and update the dll path in the two regarding the new "Nebula3Cx86.dll" and "Nebula3Cx86 Reverb" names?

If what I understood here is right, will my daw display four different VST Nebula instances?
They will all four be server compatible, but only the ones with the "old name" will be retro-compatible?

Thank you for your much apreciated help, as you can see, I need it.

Best regards

Mitch
Last edited by mitch on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitch
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby richie43 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:22 pm

What I am reading so far sounds way more complicated than my experience of upgrading! I installed the server upgrade and ensured to install the dll's in the same location as the previous ones (Pro3) and pointed the installer to my existing nebulatemprepository folder, and my upgrade was complete. If things get too confused, download the installers for the Nebula Pro 3 AND the server upgrade, uninstall your existing installation, and reinstall. Pay attention to where things are being installed to you you can do it properly. BEFORE YOU UNINSTALL, make a copy of your xml if you have done any customizations so you can copy them back over. I always do a custom installation, not the default. I have a self made folder for my Nebula dll's (2 actually; 1 for 32bit and one for 64bit) so I can do future upgrades easier. While it seems complicated, this process has made all of the version upgrades very easy. Message back, or PM me if you want more help. It's very easy and worth the extra attention for future convenience. Good luck!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm

install the server without uninstalling anything! it's an upgrade, not a setup!!!
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby richie43 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 pm

giancarlo wrote:install the server without uninstalling anything! it's an upgrade, not a setup!!!

Giancarlo is right as long as everything is working right and where you want it. I only suggested an uninstall and reinstall if the present installation is a mess. But as he is stating, the server is an upgrade, so if you start fresh you need to install the regular Nebula Pro first, as I originally had said. Then do the server upgrade.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:14 pm

More flexibility some times means more complexity, we are aware about that. Beta version differ a bit from commercial ones (in names that the reason if my incorrect information).

You can rename and create copies of Nebula and .XML files for your needs. Nebula Client regardless of the name will look for a server before run locally like a normal plug-in, does happens due Nebula Client is server enable, due it has server and port parameter added into the MAST page.

So if you upgrade from Nebula3PRO to Nebula3Server .DLL will have the same names than before to ensure backwards compatibility. But for flexibility you can change this names and customs theirs .XML files. Most important thing is not make the mistake of rename a Nebula3 DLL in Nebula Client DLL, no matter if you add server and port parameter in MAST page, Nebula3 DLL is not server enable.

Is that this the proper way of installing the server upgrade?

Server is a .EXE file with a mast page similar to Nebula MAST page in .XML. Server is into Server folder in Nebulatemrepository folder that is created when you upgrade from Nebula3PRO bundle to Nebula3Server bundle.

If server is online, locally or LAN Nebula will connect with the server when you load a Nebula instance (Nebula Client regardless of the name that you rename it due is server enable DLL and has the correct server parameters)

If server is offline, Nebula will work as before like Nebula3PRO locally but with CORE3 audio engine.

If you have a complete x64 audio ring and you just upgrade to Nebula3Server just for advantage of CORE3 and you don't use any server, plus you already need backwards compatibility you should have the same .DLL if Nebula instances for open old projects.

In addition if you want to work in an hybrid environment Nebula3Server LAN + Nebula locally you should have 2 .DLL version as tell you in last post, Nebula3PRO and Nebula3Client. Nebula3PRO will works locally, is server enable but server parameter are erased and Nebula3Client that will work with an extra PC/MAS working as server.

So you must understand that you are running Nebula3Client but with custom names and .XML depending your needs, audio network and backwards compatibility.

More flexibility some times means more complexity...
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby dacaveprods » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 pm

i just payed for the upgraded myself 5 mins ago...got the instructions followed them d/l n can't see the rar file! is there something im missing??? very confused! Upgrade from Neb3Pro to Server Edition!!!
dacaveprods

Next

Return to Working with Nebula