Login

Tip for mastering

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Tip for mastering

Postby giancarlo » Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 am

While I'm working on named pipes and interprocess communication (the beginning of next revolution for your workflow, so a single server for all nebula instances with a single access point in nat, I'll be able to implement new features directly in nat) and wasting time and efforts, I'm mixing a song for a friend. While I was trying to emulate the same mastering curve of david guetta using freefilter and an eq in ozone, I was not satisfied, here my tip: I SAMPLED the eq chain (not the multiband compressor, just the equalisers) using a 1 sec reverb session in nat. It took just few seconds:

1. in offline mode I loaded the session
2. in expert page I changed number to 1, and repetitions to 1
3. I generated the sinesweep
4. I imported the sinesweep in wavelab (I use wavelab for mastering) and I processed it
5. I copied it back overwriting the original in the nat folder
6. Typed the name of the program and pushed the "deconvolve" button
7. That's all.

Full quality for the same eq curve shape!!! Even if generated in ozone or freefilter it sounds A LOT better because played by nebula engine. Enjoy.

(I hope someone will test it and maybe will make a little video tutorial, sorry I've not enough time for doing that. Guys, it takes 1 minute, it's worthing for mastering sessions!!)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Re: Tip for mastering

Postby subvertbeats » Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 am

Giancarlo, thanks for this.

Ive never used NAT so far so most of what you wrote above still doesnt make all that much sense to me yet.....Its on my list of to do's in the coming months to start using NAT.

I want to sample my A*I 2500 and M*****c MEA-2.
subvertbeats
User Level I
User Level I

Postby tumburu » Tue May 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Haha, nice. I think that with the eqs we have in Nebula we can work at least at the same level as Guetta, though.

Subvertbeats, I'm eagerly waiting for that kind of compressor to be sampled for Nebula :P
tumburu
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby vasquez » Tue May 11, 2010 5:47 pm

giancarlo wrote:Full quality for the same eq curve shape!!! Even if generated in ozone or freefilter it sounds A LOT better because played by nebula engine. Enjoy.

Here's a question. How can it sound better it should sound identical right? I mean it should be the same... or maybe i got this wrong.
vasquez
User Level I
User Level I

Postby giancarlo » Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 am

it's not the same, there will be less errors (a greater precision).
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby timothyallan » Wed May 12, 2010 7:40 am

If only there was a macnat :)
timothyallan
User Level II
User Level II

Postby RJHollins » Wed May 12, 2010 8:04 am

I've only used NAT3 as a basic analyzer for the collection of Libraries I have :)

I am intrigued by this idea of 'sampling' a VST for use in Neb.

Where can we learn more ?? Also ... where or how do we get 'templates' for NAT ?? I see that on the 'Expert' menu.

Giancarlo ... please [when you can] provide more detail as to your procedure and how/what you do in WaveLAB.

So many questions ... when you say 'set to 1', is this the same as a 'single kernel' ?? or has this no barring on this ?!? ahhh ... to many questions/unknowns to even ask a sensible question. What/where can we learn more about NAT and its' usage.

Thanks
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed May 12, 2010 8:50 am

I mean:
1 second clean reveb session (so distortion is disabled)
expert page
number = 1
repetitions = 1

that's all
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby lukepell » Wed May 12, 2010 11:55 am

sweet, useful
lukepell
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mertayy » Wed May 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Thats a nice tip.

What came to my mind was if room eq is wanted or you want to change character of monitors with eq.

Since nebula doesn't carry same artifacts of standard min-phase eq (to my ears) and doesn't shrink stereo image, it might make sense to use such approach.
mertayy

Next

Return to Working with Nebula