Login

Configuring Nebula and Nebula Reverb.

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Configuring Nebula and Nebula Reverb.

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:46 pm

only backward compatibility...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby richie43 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:10 pm

You should "sticky" this thread somewhere now that Giancarlo has cleared it up!! Lol.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby biomuse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:46 am

richie43 wrote:You should "sticky" this thread somewhere now that Giancarlo has cleared it up!! Lol.

Definitely make it a sticky.
I considered myself a pretty involved Nebula user (knows what all the parameters mean & do, knows the dlls are the same minus their configs etc etc.) and yet I still missed this "use Reverb whenever possible" thing.

I also didn't know that, of the two dlls, only Reverb is multithreaded, which is interesting.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby mt_suszycki » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:30 pm

biomuse wrote:
richie43 wrote:I also didn't know that, of the two dlls, only Reverb is multithreaded, which is interesting.

DLLs are exactly the same.
After reading Giancarlo post long time ago I even checked them with md5sum.
As far as I understand this the only way you can have different configs, otherwise there is no way to pass any extra information to the host (for example Cubase) that loads dll. You cannot configure Cubase to load "Nebula.dll with config1.xml" and "Nebula.dll with config2.xml". Actually it's a shame that Cubase doesn't have this functionality, like a config option where you could specify a name (like "R2R Studer") then DLL path and extra options for the DLL (I don't know Windows A*I for DLL loading but there has to be some way of passing arguments from an app to dll, env variables maybe?) Then, those extra names would appear as VST/VSTi in insert drop downs and this way one Nebula.dll could act as many different 'virtual VSTs'. That would be really great as now DLL 'multiplexing' is not possible. Anybody knows if there is a 'meta vst' that does that? Things like jbridge could do this, for example to set ENV variable that is the same as DLL name that would hold extra options for the DLL.

By the way, could please somebody post full generic (not tweaked) Reverb and Non-reverb XMLs? I think I'm a bit lost with the modifications I've done so it would be great to have some XML 'templates' (safe defaults) that I could revert to.

Thanks,
Mike
mt_suszycki
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby richie43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:32 pm

You can have separate configs of Nebula to load! Just copy the dll and xml, rename them, and then make your changes. I have 4 very different configs. It's very awesome. Also, if you want the defaults, just copy your 2 tweaked xml files, place them in another folder somewhere, and do a reinstall over your existing install. You may have to uninstall first, but I have done this before. I suggest this only because many Nebula users tweak their Nebula files and you may have a hard time finding someone on this forum that even HAS an unchanged one! Lol.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Mercado_Negro » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:02 pm

richie43 wrote:I was hoping you would catch wind of this one! It may have even been you or Ngarjuna that explained this to me at one time. Just curious Mercado; do you use the non-reverb dll for anything or do you have customized xml's for different applications (Mercado Negro's Personalized Awesome Beast)? Also curious as to which dll is the Awesome Beast and which is the Awesome Little Beast....? Thanks Mercado.

I use the reverb version for everything with a xml file I've tweaked for general use :)

Cheers
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mt_suszycki » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:11 pm

richie43 wrote:You can have separate configs of Nebula to load! Just copy the dll and xml, rename them, and then make your changes.

Thanks, this is how I'm using it :D
The point was that you need to copy _the_same_ dll just to have it under different name (so it knows which config file to use) which is rather messy.
If you have for example 300 nebula programs the only way to have them visible in host insert list is to have 300 copies of the same dll, using some meaningful names like "R2R Revox.dll", "MBC EQ.dll" etc. Wouldn't it be great to see Nebula instances with some meaningful names instead of many "Nebula Reverb" inserts, but without having multiple dll copies?
It seems it wouldn't be difficult to implement a host mechanism that would allow you to have one dll that would be listed under different names in you insert list. It's a shame Cubase isn't open source ;)
I would implement something like that and ask Giancarlo to add simple code to Nebula dll to read "NebulaDLL" env variable once dll has been loaded into the host.
mt_suszycki
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:20 pm

mt_suszycki wrote:Thanks, this is how I'm using it :D
The point was that you need to copy _the_same_ dll just to have it under different name (so it knows which config file to use) which is rather messy.
If you have for example 300 nebula programs the only way to have them visible in host insert list is to have 300 copies of the same dll, using some meaningful names like "R2R Revox.dll", "MBC EQ.dll" etc. Wouldn't it be great to see Nebula instances with some meaningful names instead of many "Nebula Reverb" inserts, but without having multiple dll copies?
It seems it wouldn't be difficult to implement a host mechanism that would allow you to have one dll that would be listed under different names in you insert list. It's a shame Cubase isn't open source ;)
I would implement something like that and ask Giancarlo to add simple code to Nebula dll to read "NebulaDLL" env variable once dll has been loaded into the host.

FWIW I think it would be pretty cool. While my host already handles this duty for me it took a significant amount of setup (of FX chains), probably more than I'd be willing to spend if I had known in hindsight how long it would take. Then again, now that I have it all done it makes things much simpler.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Yes it would be cool. But honestly, I can usually remember what preset is in what track just because of what the track is (like a guitar, drum, or bass track). More info would be nice, but it is workable for me as is.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby biomuse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:35 pm

mt_suszycki wrote:
biomuse wrote:
richie43 wrote:I also didn't know that, of the two dlls, only Reverb is multithreaded, which is interesting.

DLLs are exactly the same.

Yeah, I know. People keep repeating that as though it were relevant...

But they're not configured the same. Giancarlo clearly implies above that only Reverb is set up to use multithreading:

giancarlo wrote:dll are the same. Reverb configuration is based on multithreading. When multithreading is not present it's possible the kernerls are truncated. Not bad but this could be a noticeble difference from what's supposed to be, so the target device. Multithreading solves a lot of issues, but due to a large number of synchronization fences, you need larger sample frames, so an higher DSPBUFFER value and asio buffer compared with the other configuration.

Setting up different configs for different dlls is something I've been itching to do in AU for a long time now. Unfortunately, the current AU spec makes it impossible for end users. Working around that in Bidule, but Bidule's handling of latency leaves a bit to be desired.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Previous

Return to Working with Nebula