Login

nebula not communicating with localserver

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: nebula not communicating with localserver

Postby woeischris » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:26 am

If it says no clients, it means no clients and is not working. Same boat as you woth Reaper.
woeischris

Postby richie43 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:25 am

I actually got it working. I did a complete uninstall and reinstalled everything. Then I saved the Reverb.xml and then compared it to the one that was from the last install that worked (I always save a copy of those before I change it because I tend to tinker!) and noticed that my new xml didn't have any entries for the server address and port. I must have done something wrong with the xml. So I made sure that the new one had those same entries and now it sees the clients again. The goofy thing about it all for me is that I still get better performance using the server version (newest experimental 1.3.499g) as a regular Nebula instance than as a local server. Maybe I don't understand what it's supposed to do, but as a server, I get crackles and pops with fewer instances. Hmmmm.... any ideas?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:04 am

I found the same thing in my XML but adding those lines didn't fix me. Would you mind shooting me an email with your XML file so I can compare? Woeunholy@gmail.com.

Not sure what you mean by using the server as a regular instance. Is that some sort of option now? I have Nebula Reverb as a favorite in Reaper so I wouldn't notice if there was something new. I can say, though, that the server's XML probably has some of the same configuration options as the client. Check for DSPBUFFER, I think that was the one that made me skip and pop. Bring it up to 8192.
woeischris

Postby richie43 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:17 am

Sent you a PM woeischris.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:27 am

you can use localserver without the "server" component starting from version 1.3.499. It works like it was a server version without a server component! The only drawback, memory is not allocated as a standalone application, but still belongs to your sequencer. So in 32 bits hosts you could still run out of resources. But you save ram like it was a server instance, just to name an advantage.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:47 am

Ensure that you are running NebulaClient, not Nebula3PRO renamed as NebulaClient.

You can use netstat for get more TCP/UDP information (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netstat)
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:20 pm

So there's a new Nebula plugin listed as of this new version? That would definitely do it. I have Nebula Reverb in my Reaper favorites, I always just use that one.
woeischris

Postby richie43 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:33 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:Ensure that you are running NebulaClient, not Nebula3PRO renamed as NebulaClient.

You can use netstat for get more TCP/UDP information (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netstat)

How do I know the difference? When I upgraded, I ran the upgrade. Where do I find this Nebula Client?
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby woeischris » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:31 pm

The server apparently installs new Nebula DLL files, 32 and 64 bit, depending on what you install. It appears that to take advantage of Core III and use the Nebula Local Server, you need to install the 32-bit server to get the correct DLLs, then you should be able to install the 64-bit server to offload RAM and processing to the 64-bit process.

I don't know whether I misunderstood the upgrade process or if it was poorly explained. The fact that almost everyone else seems to be working normally suggests the former. I was under the impression that the server was JUST the server portion, not the Nebula DLLs. In reality, the server setup EXEs are the only ones I should have been using.
woeischris

Postby richie43 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Yup. Check your emails and PM's. If you are running the newest experimental version (anything 1.3.499 etc) and are using just 1 computer, you no longer need to start the server component; just insert your Nebula and it acts as local server. Giancarlo said the only disadvantage is that it is not it's own process so if you are using it inside a 53bit host, the ram still belongs to the host and you can run out. So use a 64bit host to get access to more RAM.
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula