Login

Will RAM be my hero?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Will RAM be my hero?

Postby urowinner » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm a PT 8 HD mac-based Nebula 3 pro user. I'm thrilled with the results I get from Alex B's consoles and the R2R library...however, I'm also spending a LOT of time restarting my computer as I work with Nebula.

I haven't been able to distinguish a clear pattern to the DAW crashes, but usually it happens after I open an instance of Nebula and attempt to load a program (R2R, console, etc). Typically, a crash consists of the computer pausing momentarily, then completely shutting Pro Tools down (frequently this forces me to restart the computer entirely).

If I have multiple instances of Nebula open, the frequency of crashing increases.
The specs on my computer:
8 core, dual 2.26 ghz, 6 GB ram, OSX

Currently, the crashes are so bad that I'm forced to go track by track through a session, bouncing one track at a time through nebula (and limiting myself to three instances on the track).
This is a very slow way to work. Plus, I still get crashes about 40% of the time I try to change Nebula programs.

I've had up to 6 or 7 instances of Nebula open at once (which uses about 40-50% of the CPU meter in Pro Tools). When I just have one or two instance of Nebula open, it only uses 5-7% of CPU processing.

Would adding RAM to my system make Nebula more stable on my system? I'm willing to spend the money if it will help, but if it won't, I'd rather use my resources elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.
urowinner
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Will RAM be my hero?

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:47 pm

how many nebula instances do you load and what? the same presets again and again?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby urowinner » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm running two instances of Nebula on an electric guitar track.

signal chain looks like this:
Nebula R2R --> Nebula AlexB console

That is all.
I should also note that I went back and checked, and it looks like these two instance of Nebula are taking my CPU to 13%-18% (not the original 5-10% I quoted). I am not using any programs twice at the same time.

It's about a 50% chance that my DAW crashes when I try to select a different program in either of these Nebula instances.
The crashing happens when I try to change programs by clicking on the program name in the menu. For example, when I click on "Init" in the program window, either:
1) the browser opens and I am fine to select the program of my choice
or
2) the computer pauses for a moment without opening the browser and then crashes the DAW.

I'm using the FXpansion VST-RTAS wrapper (which hasn't been a problem for any of my other plugins).

Thank you for any help.
urowinner
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby urowinner » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Sorry, you asked which presets I'm loading. I'll be as specific as I can in case it helps.

In this example (which crashed my computer five minutes ago)
1st Nebula instance: R2R Otari 30-499-0
2nd Nebula instance: MBC IL1

But the crashes happen regardless of which programs I use (mammoth EQ, any consoles, any R2R library, TapeBoost).
urowinner
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:40 pm

I think you are running out of ram, but buying more will not help. Contact me
giancarlo@acusticaudio.com
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby woeischris » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Pardon the potentially dumb question but you are using Nebula Reverberation, right?
woeischris

Return to Working with Nebula