Login

Weird RAM issue with Reaper

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Weird RAM issue with Reaper

Postby woeischris » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm running Reaper 4 beta x86 but should note that this occurred in all the alpha versions, too.

When I use Nebula Server, it seems to be either not offloading RAM to the process correctly. My Reaper.EXE grows and grows, eventually hitting the 3gb barrier, while my NebulaServer.exe also grows and looks the way it should. I posted there and someone who I recognize from here suggested I set Nebula to run in separate processes within Reaper. This is essentially a bridge so my RAM limit isn't an issue but it doesn't give me the RAM sharing benefits and end up using a ton more RAM, meaning page file usage goes up, meaning performance goes down.

Anyone experience this and have any tips? Running latest builds of Nebula 3 Pro x86 and Server 64.
woeischris

Re: Weird RAM issue with Reaper

Postby faun2500 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 am

I (and many) have the same problem. It is a MASSIVE problem for me as I have to restart my computer about 50 times a day to be able to work with Nebula in Reaper! :evil:

I am going to try Reaper 32bit in Windows 7 x64 as I have read that this might help.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 am

don't understand... reaper doesn't free nebula resources after closing it?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:39 pm

This issue is true. But I thought (and it has been a while since I saw the relevant discussions) that this was a matter of how REAPER handles RAM loading and unloading. Does this only happen with Nebula?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Same here Chris.I always have this with Reaper.

giancarlo wrote:don't understand... reaper doesn't free nebula resources after closing it?

Reaper don't "flush" RAM.Ram usage "stacks","pile up" until ...

I don't have any work around,exept loading Reaper again (not rebooting).Comming from a host who takes forever to load ;) and Reaper being so fast at that I let go and never try to take care of the issue...
So sorry, I'm not very helpful.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby giancarlo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:00 pm

maybe reaper closes nebula without unloading the library?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby elam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm

giancarlo wrote:maybe reaper closes nebula without unloading the library?

That may be a reason...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Mercado_Negro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:36 pm

This is also true for most VSTs because some stuff stays in RAM "in case you need it again" or something. This is a Windows "issue". Very noticeable with Nebula because it uses a lot of RAM.

For example, your project is using 400MB. Now you insert Nebula and load a program, RAM goes up to 630MB. Now you remove Nebula, RAM goes down to 500MB. It's not the same as before and this is what people call "pile up RAM". Schwa explained it to me a long time ago but I can't remember how exactly was. I'll try to get back to him and ask him for a short explanation about this behavior. In short, it's neither REAPER or Nebula, it's just the way things work in Windows (that's the part I recall from that conversation I had with him).

I always tend to close and reopen REAPER every hour to release this "piling up".
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby elam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Muchas gracias for the explanations Mercado Negro,that makes sense ...

It would be great to have a "short/dumbed down" explanation from Schwa you're right.And maybe there's today, a way to "trick" Windows in order avoid those host re-loadings...

As a poor workaround:
I generally don't wait Reaper to act weird because a RAM and monitor my RAM meters (cpu's not an issue for me and I'm still @ 32bit).
I reload Reaper automatically every 2/3 rendering depending on how close my RAM limit is.

Workflow... :roll:
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby woeischris » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:34 pm

I don't know if my issue is exactly the same... though maybe it is.

I open Nebula Server. I open Reaper. I load a project. Reaper's RAM usage begins to climb and Nebula Server's RAM usage begins to climb. The Nebula Server RAM looks the way I expect, 1.5GB+, but Reaper is ALSO 2.5GBG+, sometimes 3GB! Reaper eventually crashes.

When using Nebula Server, does it first load RAM into the DAW and then it offloads to Nebula Server? That could be what everyone else is describing, where it piles up. This happens to me as soon as I load a project, though.

My solution is to not use Nebula Server. Set Reaper to load each Nebula instance as its own process. Slower, more threads, no RAM consolidation, and soon no Core3!
woeischris

Next

Return to Working with Nebula