vst is already working; au not due to au specifications... For what I know there are editors for au plugins so that you could change the internal identifier freely. While in VST world you could expose that parameter, in AU (maybe it's a fault of mine, or I'm dumb) it is a constant. So even if you copy and rename your components there is this identifier inside so that the host is fooled and thinks it's the same plugin, so it doesn't load the different copy. That identifier is used by the au and view component and it's a fixed constant. Maybe I missed something, or I'm dumb, but it seems like vst is a winner for this particular case.
About your particular request, it's not possible at the moment. The whole project is already 1.8 gigabytes and I like to zip it for backup purposes (other issues, there isn't a proper winrar on mac osx side). If I add copies I reach 2.0 gigabytes and I can't backup it easily any more because 2 gigabytes is the limit size for compression
Since you are hitting the 2.0 GB backup limit, since the other compiled AUs will be based on the first instance and will be otherwise identical to it, can't you simply omit those copies from your backups? Or use a backup scheme that isn't manual and which compresses per-file? There must be ways to work around that 2GB limit.
When you made your first version of Nebula Reverb, you changed the settings in Nebula to better fit usage for reverb, and you then compiled the audio unit component, thereby producing a unique identifier which allowed the Nebula Reverb component to be recognized as different from Nebula.
Can't you simply repeat this process a few more times in a row, compiling several versions of the AU with arbitrary names (as suggested by me and other users) such as Nebula3-1, Nebula3-2, etc.
At this point, a solution like that would be much better than no answer to this issue. I think I can speak for most/all OSX AU users when I say we would much rather have alternate instances with generic names like Nebula3-1, in a larger installer download, than wait months for a scheme that lets us name them ourselves, which simply may be impossible under the current AU spec.
Also, unless I misunderstand the process, wouldn't renaming and recompiling a few more AU components for us take only a few minutes to accomplish?
If you'd like, take a poll of OSX AU users who would be willing to put up with 1) a larger installer package to download and 2) arbitrary names, in order to have multiple instances available soon. My guess is that the response would be overwhelmingly positive.
backup is a trouble... time for compiling an other trouble... than installers... on mac osx there are ALWAYS issues because apple things are VERY buggy. Adding au versions would increase the time required for release a new version. Today I wasted the whole day for compiling and testing things on mac osx. After that I should upload, than transfer to the website, than enable new uploads. The risk is to limit the number of new releases, but if I limit them I don't receive enough feedbacks about new bugs. If I spend all the time for uploading a new version I don't have enough time for adding features. Everything is a compromise. Adding new components is not a solution now. At the moment the renaming feature is not supported on au side....
alright, no pressure. VST on mac is currently the winner for me anyways since the wrapped vst has the best performance and works perfectly with server. Somehow though, when i tried to make 4 copies of the vst, wrapping works but logic recognized only one of them. Is there something i should know about changing the MAGIC in the xml?