Login

Server Vrs Free

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Server Vrs Free

Postby scope4live » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 am

Does the free version give me an idea of the sound quality of Nebula...?
I am not concerned with latency or CPU utilization or latency.
I want to take my 32bit Integer wav. files and treat them.
More interested in Tape Sat.

Also do any 3rd party Devs have an FET+Opto Limiter worth checking out..?
My goal is try what I have learned and seen done in hardware, and hope I can find those tricks here.

Just to be clear, it's all about the sound to me.
CPU utilization, costs, latency are of no concern.

Thanks...
scope4live
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Server Vrs Free

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:01 am

First the bad news: I don't think there's a demo program for the Free version for either the R2R or Tapebooster+ libraries, unfortunately.

There are a bunch of audio samples, not sure if that will help or not. There are a bunch more audio samples using R2R and TB+ on the VTM-M2 page too (and there is actually a free demo of VTM-M2 which is not a Nebula program but a VST in its own right). That page has lots of information, charts, samples of the 3-stage solution that CDSoundmaster has developed including comparing stage1 to stage1+stage2 to stage1+2+3.

For a FET compressor there's Rhythminmind's DME1968 FET/Tube. Also no demo for the free version, I think (also audio samples). I can't recall if the Free library has any of the older compressors but, honestly, they don't compare to the more recent ones which take advantage of updated Nebula technology. Since it's new-ish, the floodgates are just starting to open in regards to compressors.

I'm not certain what's in the Free library nowadays (there is probably a list on this forum somewhere but I can't find it right now for the life of me), it has been several years since I had Free installed. But my recollection is that there were some tape programs in that collection. But none of them are nearly as impressive as the R2R, though they might at least give you an idea of what the sampling engine is capable of to some degree.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby scope4live » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks Ng,
I think I will dive in head first and just get the goods. I have no time to really test this until mid July, so I can read up on it and prepare.
The reason I think I will benefit from Nebula is because I have this ancient 32bit Integer DSP app. that after 10 years finally got updated.
Inside of a Scope project window it's sound is a notch above Reaper and Cubase, so that's where I trigger seques, and sync background vocals on occassion.
But as soon as the wav. files leave the project window it's magical sound is lost in the conversion.
I am hoping I can do the usual ASIO into this app, and then from the treat the audio somehow using my Scope Modular mixers and Nebula.

Thanks.
scope4live
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Good luck with it! There are some good threads here (including some input from CDSoundmaster) about R2R: favorite programs, gain staging info, what not. Some really great sounding machines (including some of the lo-fi ones) in that collection.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Does the free version give me an idea of the sound quality of Nebula...?
I am not concerned with latency or CPU utilization or latency. I want to take my 32bit Integer wav. files and treat them. More interested in Tape Sat.

Hello scope4live. Nebula3FREE is based into the same audio engine that use Nebula3PRO and Nebula3Server, COREII, audio quality is the same. There is 2 limitation inside Nebula3FREE explained into Nebula FAQ. In addition Nebula3FREE include NAT FREE and Server FREE so you can test the hole bundle.

Non lineal distortion from a analog device is not the same of analog saturation. For this case you should use two emulation programs in serial like R2R + TB

Also do any 3rd party Devs have an FET+Opto Limiter worth checking out..?

Nebula emulation programs are based into NAT sampling that is bases on sessions that are based into models. Some very time dependent device can not be sampled by NAT due we can't modeled with Acustica Audio technology, however (only) the non lineal distortion from this kind of devices can be sampled.

My goal is try what I have learned and seen done in hardware, and hope I can find those tricks here.Just to be clear, it's all about the sound to me. CPU utilization, costs, latency are of no concern.

Nebula is like the seasoning of your food a production tool with a lot of different colors for your audio.

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula