Login

incredible 1.3.498 on the path (Core3 engine)

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: incredible 1.3.498 on the path (Core3 engine)

Postby Arne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Made another test in Samplitude with 1.3.498 (CoreII r1.2): Please note the naming. This is what it reads in MAST page. I added 20 instances on 20 stereo tracks with the same AlexB console on every instance. The RAM reduction was HUGE! I also recognized a small reduction in CPU usage of max approx 5%. Then I saved and started the same project again, but Samplitude was not able to load the plugins and crashed. I was not able to start the project again. I noticed in task manager that Samplitude did not increase RAM usage on restart, which indicates that it was not able to load the libraries. This may be a hint on whats going on. Are the loading Nebula instances able to identify the shared library? Are they loading in a sequence to ensure that the first library is fully loaded and accessible before other Nebula instances try to connect to the shared library? Maybe the shared library handling should be moved to the local server?

I see from a previous post that the engine may not be updated in the 32 bit version - I`ll stay tuned until a fix is available :-)
Last edited by Arne on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Arne
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby darren » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 am

I am also running .498 but see Core II v1.2

This is after deleting the .dll files and installing the upgrade.

:cry:
darren
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Plattino » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 am

Hi, I'm running Windows XP 32bit, 3GB, Quad Core Q8200 2.33GHz. I upgraded to Nebula Server some days ago just for having more RAM available and of course for the new promising Core 3 engine.

Made the "experimental" update today...so my report is: if I'm running Nebula Server and I hover over the little icon at the bottom right corner at the Windows desktop it says 1.3.498 Core 3 but in Cubase the VST says 1.3.498 Core2 r1.2.
Running the plug without the server doesn't change it at all.

Generally speaking with the server version I can now load up to 11 instances with AlexB's CLC programs, CPU at 94%. Running with buffer-size 512. But that's all. No more plugs possible but good.

If I'm running just 6 instances of Nebula local server, CPU is at 50-60%. So I can launch other sample-based vsts in the host...for example a Kontakt Piano Lib and Toontrack Superior drummer Lib. Still works fine with buffer 512! I even can play the instruments in realtime with Nebula on. So no problems at all. I could add some more non-sample based vst instruments and start recording and composing my songs.

But my problem is that if I safe the projects and want to reopen them again, Cubase crashs every time and the songs are gone. Runtime error! That only happens if other sample based vsts are involved.If I safe just with nebula instances and audiotracks all is good.Without Nebula all is running great.

So the server upgrade let me launch more instances.. which is nice ;-) If only the crashs at project reopening would not be there..it's making my crazy :-(

Anyway, I hoped that Nebula server or the new Core 3 engine would solve this as I already decided some time ago to not use Nebula "realtime" anymore but it would be my dream if I could just make 6 instances work so that I can make a bus chain and run my tracks one after another through the bus and record it to new tracks - which would be possible in Cubase. I don't like offline rendering. I want to make "the Nebula mojo" when I'm composing.

Give me some hope ;-)
Cheers!
Plattino
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:54 am

I'll fix the 32 bit version, it's not based on new intel libraries for a mistake. I'll work on your reported crash just later
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby steve36 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:24 am

I am only using a laptop with a core2duo (Reaper(x64))and have noticed that a project that was choking a bit under the last build is running smoothly now...

Steve
steve36
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Mplay » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:13 am

I don't mean to be a pain in the 4$$, but don't understand why you are connecting the ram savings with Nebula 3 pro server. Just from a logical point of view I would expect Nebula "pro" to have the best/most new engine. Why would the server owners get something for free, that they didn't even know they where buying?

Imho It would be more logical and fair to make us all get Nebula 4 pro for the ram savings!!
Mplay

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:46 am

@mplay: I explained it in this topic

-------------------------------------------
ok I uploaded a new version. I fixed the bypass button too, it behaves smoothly on the audio side. It's named 1.3.499a
The crash bug was NOT fixed, so if it crashes in your system, just revert to 1.3.495 and wait. Yes it's related with semaphores and shared memory, there is something not properly protected at loading time.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Mplay » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 am

I did read your explanation, I just don't agree :D

Anyway it's not a big deal, just my 2 cents. I still love Nebula :)
Mplay

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am

well, we'll move the core2 engine to nebula2/nebula3 and core3 to nebula3 pro later. Server is a bit more expensive than nebula3 pro, we should justify the different price in some way.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:13 am

for those ones experiencing crashes:
1) install new version 1.3.499a
2) check that it's crashing
3) install OVER 1.3.495 (don't UNINSTALL!!!!)
4) check that it's working
5) contact me via email: giancarlo@acusticaudio.com

I have a solution for testing it without messing up your computer at all. And maybe I have a solution for your issues ;) but I need you confirm that.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula