Login

Upgrade vs full installer

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Upgrade vs full installer

Postby dream » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 am

I am currently on version 1.3.478 (Nebula3 pro Mac 10.6.7).
The last version of Nebula is 1.3.492.
I don't remember if there is some version between 1.3.478 and 1.3.492.

Anyway, should I have to install "setup" or "upgrade"?
Is the upgrade valid from any previous version (same product line, obviously)? Or just from the previous version?

I think the difference between setup or upgrade is just about authorization, but I'm not sure.
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
dream

Re: Upgrade vs full installer

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:17 am

Pretty much correct. If you run Setup then you will have to reinstall your license. If you run Update, then it won't overwrite it and you should be good to go. I think the update also has the advantage of retaining manual settings (not sure if the Setup would overwrite them or not but I would think so) but don't quote me on that.

As far as I am aware you should be able to install any update (including one which isn't the 'next one' sequentially) without trouble. It's not an update of the last patch, it's just an overall update to Nebula which should contain everything you would need in the Update package. So you don't have to worry about chasing down some intermediary patch.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby dream » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:01 am

Thanks a lot ngarjuna! You've been very clear, it sounds great, so I'm gonna install the upgrade. :)

Just another question: I'm usually copy XML file just to have different skins. Is there no way to avoid it every time after every upgrade?
Indeed the installation overwrite just "Nebula" and "Nebula Reverb".

Probably that is to ask too much to Giancarlo, but just to know it. If that is not possible I'll glad to do by myself, I'm not understand too much about programming.

Ps: thanks a lot also for your skins. :)
dream

Postby ngarjuna » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:09 am

dream wrote:Thanks a lot ngarjuna! You've been very clear, it sounds great, so I'm gonna install the upgrade. :)

Just another question: I'm usually copy XML file just to have different skins. Is there no way to avoid it every time after every upgrade?
Indeed the installation overwrite just "Nebula" and "Nebula Reverb".

Probably that is to ask too much to Giancarlo, but just to know it. If that is not possible I'll glad to do by myself, I'm not understand too much about programming.

Ps: thanks a lot also for your skins. :)

Thanks, glad to hear people are enjoying the skins!

I don't know of any other way besides manually updating to new XML files for alternate instances but I can envision (since it's all just XML) one could write a script fairly easily to take either the Nebula or Nebula Reverb XML and perform the usual modifications in a single execution.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby dream » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:56 am

You're right, I have not thought about that. I'm not able to write script but I understood the concept. Indeed it's just XML file like you said.
Maybe on OSX is more easy write it, 'cause we have Automator, but it's just a guess.
dream

Postby dream » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 am

The upgrade works very well. I have to remember every time to fix ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH and RATECONVERSION. :)
dream

Return to Working with Nebula