Login

New Nebula - Rate?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: New Nebula - Rate?

Postby yewtreemagic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 am

giancarlo wrote:it's simple: you convert only programs smaller than x. X is your bar. You could raise the bar and convert ALL programs. It's possible an old computer will take ages for converting a program so you disable conversion lowering the bar.

Hi giancarlo!

But if you DO adopt a lower value, you run the risk (particularly with an older/slower computer) with some programs (long reverbs, delays and suchlike) that you'll end up with the conversion disabled (the flashing symbol next to the sample rate readout) and it won't sound as it should.

Surely taking RATE CNV up to maximum and adding a progress bar of some sort during loading/conversion would make more sense, so:

a) you can see when conversion is still happening rather than thinking Nebula has crashed :lol:

b) You never get a dodgy-sounding program.

What do others think? ;)
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:58 pm

But is up to you. I prefer to have a big value, convert everything and wait, I'm young guy a have a lot of time. This parameter has nothing to do with Nebula performance or Nebula sound but obviously emulation presets that are not converted will sound rare or quirky.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby biomuse » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:49 pm

OK. Question answered. Strange parameter. I would just get rid of it (i.e., set it to maximum and remove it from the GUI) or implement something like what Martin suggested.

The user either wants to load a patch and know that when it's loaded, it's loaded properly, or they don't. If they are in such a hurry that they think a patch took too long to load, then they won't try to load that patch again.

But making it possible to load a patch, but incorrectly, with no warning but a gently flashing arrow, simply doesn't make any sense. It may be degrading the quality of patches for an unknown number of users who are unaware of the problem.

So for now: Best to leave RATE CNV at maximum (9000). To make things faster, I've raised loading thread priority (LOADER PR) to maximum (4); loading is speedy and I have no problems from CPU spikes. If you get problems from spikes then reduce LOADER PR to 3.
Last edited by biomuse on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby yewtreemagic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Exactly. A big value will always ensure good-sounding results, whereas having a much smaller default for RATE CNV could well mean that new users on a slower computer (unaware of the significance of the flashing symbol) may simply assume that Nebula sounds cr*p. See the problem enrique? :(

Surely the better default will be one that lasts the course and always sounds good, with the option for slow computer users of reducing the load time at the expense of audio quality 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Thank you for the inputs we will find a way to satisfy every customer with slow and fast computers.
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:Thank you for the inputs we will find a way to satisfy every customer with slow and fast computers.

Actually, I'll add one more suggestion to the pile:

I think everything would be more or less okay as it is if the warning (that you had not converted successfully) was more obtrusive. As it is, if you don't look at the PROG page, you're counting on your ears to make the determination. I'll grant that, in many cases, you're going to notice immediately because things sound wonky. But in the case where you don't (maybe where you instantiate a plugin and it converts successfully but on a subsequent reload it fails to convert properly and you are going straight into an offline render, as one possible example) that could leave you scratching your head wondering what went wrong with your render.

If Nebula was simply more insistent (I hesitate to suggest a popup, but something that would be pretty hard to miss) and didn't require my diligence to check up on the SRC for true peace of mind the default RATE_CNV setting might matter a bit less. There are lots of less obtrusive (than a popup) ways to handle it that would still make it easier to catch your attention.

I still tend to agree with Martin et. al that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages of the current default; but truly the real problem isn't the loading and unloading of programs, it's the possibility that you could process with incorrectly sampled programs.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Could the emulation preset loaded flash...
Enrique Silveti.

enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:Could the emulation preset loaded flash...

Yeah, maybe something just like that.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 pm

new "setup" installers are based on 4.5 seconds, which is a pretty big amount (almost all reverbs will be converted).

@martin: during conversion nebula displays a sort of progress bar (expressed in percents).
We could increase again that value...
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby Yllet » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:37 pm

For now i leave rate @ 4000 using a i5 2500k. Just to be safe :)

/Jon
Yllet
User Level VII
User Level VII

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula