Login

Increase drive or Input Gain

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Increase drive or Input Gain

Postby tbentley » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:28 am

Can we use the drive slider on program and get natural distortion. Or do we have increase the input knob to keep program sound as it was intended.
tbentley
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: Increase drive or Input Gain

Postby yewtreemagic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:59 pm

This is rather a creative decision taken by the individual library developer.

Strictly speaking adjusting input level (and output level to compensate, or doing both in opposition with the recently introduced Trim/Gdrive option) is the only way to get truly natural distortion as originally captured, since this retains the correct relationships between the levels of each captured harmonic.

However, using the Drive control will with many libraries give a pleasing and very musical effect, even though it's departing from reality.

Personally I would decide on an individual library basis from:

a) the developer's advice
b) what my ears tell me sounds 'nice' ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby tbentley » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 pm

thanks
tbentley
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby biomuse » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 am

yewtreemagic wrote:This is rather a creative decision taken by the individual library developer...
Martin

Speaking of which, congrats on the new Alchemy library, Martin. It's a nice one.
Good to see you here.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby yewtreemagic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:39 pm

Why thank you biomuse :D

I didn't realise that anyone had made the connection yet, as I move in various different circles ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Mauri » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:05 pm

I picked who you are Martin ;), and agree it's good to see you here 8-)!

Cheers,

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:04 pm

You have to be very careful when adjusting the drive knob , the results can be unpredictable on the freq curve as this is not true to the original sample anymore .If you want to see this then download this=

http://www.kvraudio.com/db/vst_plugin_a ... tian_budde

some are fine with drive set high some not.

I believe the new trim drive thats available for new libary's will allow to get higher saturation without the side effects.Correct me if i'm wrong?!

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Yeah that's what's on the paper.But the 3rd party devs. have to jump on this new function too ... it's up to them for what I understand...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby yewtreemagic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 pm

@Mauri - thanks for the welcome 8-)

@timp - yep, I've seen (and heard) harsh ringing from various peaks above a few kilohertz when you overdrive some programs, although others sound fine until they start to break up.

Sadly I don't think the new Trim/Gdrive control allows you to push levels any further - from what I understand from Nebula developers it's simply a very handy way to change input and output levels in opposition so you can instantly hear the audio changes as you push a program harder :geek:

@elam - yes, developers have to update their programs to use this new control, but from what I understand it replaces the current Drive control when it's used, so developers (at the moment anyway) get a choice of either Drive or Trim, and if you opt for the convenience of Trim you lose the ability to Drive your program softer or harder :|

Some like the option of pushing their libraries into benign distortion, sos I suspect the Trim control will end up being used more with clean/hyper-realistic effects.

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Return to Working with Nebula