Login

Has compression just got better???

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Has compression just got better???

Postby fuseburn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:00 am

biomuse wrote:I'm a little unclear on what part of

We rebuild the EVF module, now Nebula react better in attack and release

you don't understand.

That could not possibly mean anything other than that the behavior of the compressors has changed at least slightly. If they were invisible changes to the EVF module, why would they have made them and announced them?

Wow, thanks for clearing that up. That's pretty bad.
Now we have to keep a backup of 1.3.478 to be backwards-compatible with current mixes. Well, I guess it's the tradeoff for using bleeding-edge technology ;)
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby faun2500 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 am

Wow! This post turned out different from how I might of expected. :lol:

This was meant to be a 'Neb compressors have got wicked' type thread. :evil:

Anyway... it sounds to me like the compressors attack and release is much more snappy now. Have I imagined that or has the sound of my existing compressors changed?

It's unclear now.
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby biomuse » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:09 am

Mercado_Negro wrote:If you don't change anything in the EVFS page of programs then the sound shouldn't change at all. People in most threads are talking about changing the metering in the MAST page which, as you pointed out, is a completely different thing. Old compressors use RMS 17 or AVR 17, if I recall correctly. New compressors will use EVF 17. As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the old envelope followers (Average, Peak, RMS, Average 17 and RMS 17) did not change to preserve the behavior/sound of old sessions/projects. That's why we have new envelope followers.

There has been at least as much, and likely more, discussion/complaining about the actual performance of the compressors as there has been about metering.

Enrique's response was to a direct question in the OP about sound, not metering. So it's possible that we're wrong and the sound is the same, but that would be surprising at this point given these facts.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby david1103 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:10 pm

it makes no sense they would build a brand new EVF for new compressors then change the old one!

i think it is a languge confusion.

could giancarlo please straighten this out? are the old compressors going to sound the same?

also, how is the new EVF better than the old one, what should we be listening for? is the problem of the program rate needing to be very high to stop random attack times and enable fast attacks addressed?
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 pm

I tried the evf 17 on old libarys seems to work nice . But don't know if its closer.It sounds tighter, more attack.But the prog rate needs to be changed to capture the fast attacks. I've been told not to change xml because of aliasing . but I allways have a copy of a xml set to 250 on prog rate if i need it.

Looking foward to cld that will be tuned to evf 17.

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:22 pm

we preserved backward compatibility.Old libraries will behave the same
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby biomuse » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:26 am

Oh. I'm actually kind of disappointed. So the OP is hearing things, and only compressors released from here on will get the new tight-n'-snappy dynamics.

What happens if you turn the new mode on in old patches? Aliasing/glitching? Guess we'll find out.

Do any 3rd party devs have plans to update (or maybe paid upgrade) the old libraries to take advantage of the new EVF?
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:31 am

biomuse wrote:Oh. I'm actually kind of disappointed. So the OP is hearing things, and only compressors released from here on will get the new tight-n'-snappy dynamics.

What happens if you turn the new mode on in old patches? Aliasing/glitching? Guess we'll find out.

Do any 3rd party devs have plans to update (or maybe paid upgrade) the old libraries to take advantage of the new EVF?

Try going to edit-evfs change rms 17 to evf 17 on a old compressor.Although this might not be correct its tighter .I'm just shooting for what sounds best ,but just my opinion on what sounds best.

The alaising is only a problem when you edit the prog rate in the xml .This is why faster prog rate's are not supported for example faster than 0.1

I still run nebula faster even though its not supported ,the distortions produced at super fast prog rates are up for debate. I run mine at 250 in xml

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby faun2500 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:10 am

So it must of been pretty good to start with then. :lol:

I guess the drawmer just sounded really good on that particular sound.

Oh well, update old compressors please! ;)
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Masr » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:17 pm

I guess this EVF 17 thing applies only to the Neb Pro version. Am I right? I do not see it anywhere in Neb 2. :roll:
Masr
User Level IV
User Level IV

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula