Login

Has compression just got better???

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Has compression just got better???

Postby faun2500 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm

It seems to be that compressors are sounding a lot better since the last update.

Has something been changed? I am actually amazed at how punchy they are sounding now! :shock:
Forthcoming releases on: Black Heart Label, Hyperdrive and Transfixion. http://soundcloud.com/100mg. 6 FREE Downloads on my soundcloud page. Nebula ALL over these trax!
faun2500
Vip Member
Vip Member

Re: Has compression just got better???

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:38 pm

We rebuild the EVF module, now Nebula react better in attack and release but gain reduction curve is still limited but about 25 dBs.

We make a timetable mixing old request and new features we will release one by one slowly and beta testing first.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby biomuse » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:18 pm

HI Enrique - off topic but you're already in the thread and this is a very me-specific question, so... ;)

I am currently on Nebula3 pro Mac version 1.3.478.

Question: Do I need to do a paid upgrade to get the latest version of Nebula3 Pro or not? Is the latest version also the server version (i.e. is everything by server now)?

Question2: Is CUDA now recommended for use with more than just reverbs? Is the current version the "superCUDA" we have been hearing about, where it makes sense to use it for EQs and compressors as well?
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby david1103 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:28 pm

can we get back on topic?

you saying that the sound of CURRENT RELEASED nebula compressors has changed (for the better) with a recent update, no-one mentioned or noticed this?!

is this not major news? it should have been mentioned in the update notes. will people now find their mixes have changed when they update :roll:
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:21 pm

david1103 wrote:can we get back on topic?

you saying that the sound of CURRENT RELEASED nebula compressors has changed (for the better) with a recent update, no-one mentioned or noticed this?!

is this not major news? it should have been mentioned in the update notes. will people now find their mixes have changed when they update :roll:

It was right in the patch notes for 1.3.492:
http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... pic#p13065

-fixes on envelope follower and EVF page (mandatory for new incoming alexb presets, eg compressors)
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby fuseburn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 am

david1103 wrote:you saying that the sound of CURRENT RELEASED nebula compressors has changed (for the better) with a recent update, no-one mentioned or noticed this?!

Yeah, was thinking the same. Glad I didn't upgrade yet...Why fiddle around with the old compressors ? I thought the envelope follower upgrade only applies to the new, yet unreleased compressor generation.
People are using and adjusting these compressors as they are. If that behavior - as erroneous as it may be - suddenly changes, it feels like someone broke into your house and changed the tubes in all your guitar amps. Without telling, obviously. Not good !

So anyone able to confirm that ? Old compressors change in sound due to new engine adjustments ?
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby biomuse » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:41 am

I'm a little unclear on what part of

We rebuild the EVF module, now Nebula react better in attack and release

you don't understand.

That could not possibly mean anything other than that the behavior of the compressors has changed at least slightly. If they were invisible changes to the EVF module, why would they have made them and announced them? Not clear on how the question could be more "answered" than that.

This is something that has been promised and discussed for a long time.
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:33 am

If I'm not mistaken this was just something visual to improve metering, it has nothing to do with the envelope follower in the engine itself but meters'. Maybe Giancarlo can confirm or deny this.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby biomuse » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:00 am

It's listed separately from the metering improvements:

- better meter engine (unlimited frames, fixes for crashes in previous skins, mandatory version for new incoming skins based on vu meters)
- fixes on envelope follower and EVF page (mandatory for new incoming alexb presets, eg compressors)
biomuse
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Mercado_Negro » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:36 am

If you don't change anything in the EVFS page of programs then the sound shouldn't change at all. People in most threads are talking about changing the metering in the MAST page which, as you pointed out, is a completely different thing. Old compressors use RMS 17 or AVR 17, if I recall correctly. New compressors will use EVF 17. As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the old envelope followers (Average, Peak, RMS, Average 17 and RMS 17) did not change to preserve the behavior/sound of old sessions/projects. That's why we have new envelope followers.
i7 3770k :: Asus P8H77-V LE :: 16Gb DDR3 @1600MHz :: Geforce GT 520 :: OCZ-Vertex 128Gb :: WD Black Series 1Tb and Green Series 1Tb :: F*******e Liquid56 :: REAPER 64bit and StudioOne 64bit (both latest versions) :: Win 10 64bit
Mercado_Negro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to Working with Nebula