Login

First Server Tests

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

First Server Tests

Postby dagmarpiano » Tue May 31, 2011 12:44 pm

hi, I've been testing the Server, running it as a server between two machines. So far I haven't had time to test it with Cuda running.

My setup is: iMac OSX client, PC Win 7 64 bit server.

I'm finding that there's still a big CPU hit on the host machine, even though I can see that the clients are working with the server, and there is some cpu activity (5%) in Nebula on the server.

Another problem is that if the server is not connected, it doesn't automatically run locally as you would expect, but instead Cubase just stalls during loading, until you run the server program.

I'm guessing that if I wanted to run Nebula locally to compare the cpu hit between server and local, I will now need to change the xml file back to > . < ?
dagmarpiano
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: First Server Tests

Postby dagmarpiano » Tue May 31, 2011 12:59 pm

Ok I did manage to load it up locally by changing the xml file.

What I see is that the running Nebula 3 in Server mode does still take quite a bit cpu hit on the client (OSX host) machine, but yes it is definitely reduced by running the server on the server (PC slave) machine.

Is there any way to reduce the client cpu hit further you think?

:)

Another problem to report is that I've had a few audio dropouts during mix exports using Nebula 3 in server mode. Audio just cutting out and never coming back during the mix. I am using Nebula 3 though, not Nebula 3 Reverb so maybe that's something I should do?
dagmarpiano
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: First Server Tests

Postby giancarlo » Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 pm

which DSPBUFFER are you using?
User avatar
giancarlo
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 9171
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:40 pm
Location: Italy

Re: First Server Tests

Postby dagmarpiano » Tue May 31, 2011 1:43 pm

512. I think that was the default.

I did a test just now with the max DSP buffer settings, and it doesn't seem to lower CPU hit to any extent that is noticeable.

By the way, although Nebula 3 Server has a big impact on the Cubase Performance Meter (pushing it up beyond halfway), I notice that in the OSX Activity Monitor the CPU difference isn't great whether Nebula is running or not (about 7% of 1 core difference).
dagmarpiano
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: First Server Tests

Postby savvy@durango.net » Tue May 31, 2011 5:56 pm

This seems to be a problem between server and Cubase. More info here:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/forum/ind ... =viewtopic

Per Giancarlo they aren't going to even look at this until at least after CUDA is done, if then. I wouldn't hold my breath.
I7-2600, 16Gb RAM host machine
I7-875K, 16Gb RAM slave machine
Win 7 64 bit
Cubase 6 64 bit
VE Pro 5
Lynx Aurora 8 lightpiped into Fireface 800
savvy@durango.net
User Level II
User Level II
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:52 pm


Return to Working with Nebula

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest