Login

What am I doing wrong? Reverb receive stuttering again...

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

What am I doing wrong? Reverb receive stuttering again...

Postby beingmf3 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Hm, I thought I had sorted it out, but today is glitch-day again.

I use the VNXT EMT as a send effect (in Reaper btw.) and I route all the drum tracks to it. The tracks themselves have either some Nebula EQ's on them, or some native plugins that are most likely internally oversampled.

Now when I bypass, as an example, the Fate EQ on the Snare, there's less errors, and the more Nebulas on the send tracks I switch off, the better it gets. Same results with e.g. Voxengo's Overtone GEQ.

But what do I have to set up differently? Reaper is buffered at 1024, CPU is around 30%, and my RAM headroom is still showing 8 db left...

Please share some advice if you experienced the same – and of course found a solution to it! Cheers!
beingmf3

Re: What am I doing wrong? Reverb receive stuttering again...

Postby elam » Sun May 15, 2011 1:41 am

I don't know if it can help.But yesterday I got the same problem (again...) with some AA reverbs (I don't use a lot of verbs in my work).

"Record Arm" was toggled on a couple of tracks.I clicked on them and Reaper start playin everything smoothly ...

Don't ask me why.I dunno.Try it.If it works,now you know.

Good luck.
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby enriquesilveti » Sun May 15, 2011 9:46 am

I'll try here ASAP. If I found an issue I'll report. But now I'm recabling the studio, so this is in the last part of my to do list.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:38 pm

elam wrote:I don't know if it can help.But yesterday I got the same problem (again...) with some AA reverbs (I don't use a lot of verbs in my work).

Unfortunately I was aiming for a Phil Spector kind of "wall of verb" :lol:

"Record Arm" was toggled on a couple of tracks.I clicked on them and Reaper start playin everything smoothly ...

Don't ask me why.I dunno.Try it.If it works,now you know.

Good luck.

That's what I thought, too, initially. After un-arming nothing changed (and I'd need to record the mixdown anyway...)

Thanks, and Enrique, thanks in advance for checking!

But: that way I had to use some heavily neglected algorithmic reverbs, and the result is much better than expected! So at least that's the upside to it.
beingmf3

Postby giancarlo » Sun May 15, 2011 9:15 pm

sure you are not driving nebula too much hot! over +3db there is a protection
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ngarjuna » Sun May 15, 2011 11:05 pm

giancarlo wrote:sure you are not driving nebula too much hot! over +3db there is a protection

Good point, this happened to me once with a VNXT reverb, I was pushing a lot hotter than usual and I kept listening to the playback of my render wondering what was stuttering. When I chased it back to that Nebula instance I fired it up and there was Mr. Overload light grinning at me. But it sounded a bit like CPU stutter/breakup (even though it totally was not).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 am

ngarjuna wrote:
giancarlo wrote:sure you are not driving nebula too much hot! over +3db there is a protection

Good point, this happened to me once with a VNXT reverb, I was pushing a lot hotter than usual and I kept listening to the playback of my render wondering what was stuttering. When I chased it back to that Nebula instance I fired it up and there was Mr. Overload light grinning at me. But it sounded a bit like CPU stutter/breakup (even though it totally was not).

You mean the Wall Of Sound approach makes me forget my conservative levels? :D I'll surely have a look, but since any other reverb acts/sounds completely normal, it's very unlikely.
But thanks for the idea!
beingmf3

Postby giancarlo » Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 pm

you could easily go over than +3dB. We introduced this protection, and everything is very audible now. Anyway you could remove it (reverting to original +24 dB value)
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Return to Working with Nebula