Login

Library: naming and management

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Re: Library: naming and management

Postby RJHollins » Wed May 11, 2011 9:52 pm

my first question would be ...

If AFTER renaming a file ... WILL it still be found and loaded from a PREVIOUS project [but now with a new name?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Wed May 11, 2011 10:07 pm

RJHollins wrote:my first question would be ...

If AFTER renaming a file ... WILL it still be found and loaded from a PREVIOUS project [but now with a new name?

You mean after renaming a program I think (as above, renaming files is dangerous)...but I just tested it in REAPER (4b4), it seems to save the program as a different program number altogether (although that is adjustable so I'm guessing you could overwrite the old one? or at least delete it) so both programs were available. But that suggests to me that when the plugin state is saved, it must invoke the program by name or number; so that might add an additional wrinkle to this situation if you need to also make certain to use the same program number when you rename it (in order to not break backwards compatibility with saved programs). But this makes me wonder something...

If I take a project to my other machine with Nebula Pro and load it up, it loads the programs flawlessly. I could be wrong but I don't think two different installs will automatically number the programs in the same way (I was under the impression that numbering scheme has much to do with what order you installed your programs), which would mean that it's actually selecting the program by name and not by number. So I'm really not sure. But it sounds like there is at least the potential to break backwards compatibility.

We should get some more input from Giancarlo or Enriquesilveti, I think, lest we break things and good.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 pm

I never try it!
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby himhui » Thu May 12, 2011 5:00 am

apollo soul wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:I know nothing about just editing the XML files but what Giancarlo is suggesting would involve going into Nebula, using the PROG page -> Edit and then from there you can edit both the name and category of a program (remember to save your changes). The nightmare, I would imagine, is that you'd have to do this for all your programs individually.

I think Nebula Renderer (which is now a different name I think) might be trying to add (or may have already added) re-categorizing and re-naming to their software; that might be a good alternative if that works (I'm not sure if it does or not, though).

Well if that's all, then hat's no nightmare. I was going to have to do them all individually anyway... since I want to go through and give them names that mean something to me and follow my hierarchies.

I guess I'll look at that and see if it renames the prog and vector files for me, etc... and what my options are for file structure.

Do you have windows or virtual's one? If yes, you can download the win neb/nat and use the nat to do it...
Attachments
Snap9.jpg
Snap9.jpg (114.97 KiB) Viewed 559 times
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 am

Hi HimHui,

I do have Neb3 Pro with the included NAT ... but until we get confirmation ...

If we 'rename' a patch ... what happens when we load an early project :?: Does the patch load in [as expected] with the NEW name, or does NEBULA not find the patch and goes to INIT :?:

Obviously, I've not tried any renaming ... and I don't need another adventure at this time :? Need definitive answer ... or at least the clarification as to what would happen.

Thank-you!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby himhui » Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 am

Hi RJHollins,

I did a little test, it works!

I saved a project with a neb VM-Comp/limiter inserted ,then I cloesed the project and changed the name and subcat1 of the VM-Ccomp\Limiter to "VM" in NAT. I opened the project again, it was funny to found that the name of the VM-Comp/Limiter and the subcat shown in nebula was still the same as original but when I inserted another nebula, it shew up a new name and different subcat.......

I believe that neb program loads according to their original name which seems not allowed to edit in NAT3....
Attachments
Snap3.jpg
Snap3.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
himhui
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby giancarlo » Thu May 12, 2011 12:26 pm

when a program is stored in your sequencer, it's stored there.... it means that current N2P is ignored (all N2P content is stored in your sequencer just to express it clearly), while N2V file is read only.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 12, 2011 2:42 pm

himhui wrote:Hi RJHollins,

I saved a project with a neb VM-Comp/limiter inserted ,then I cloesed the project and changed the name and subcat1 of the VM-Ccomp\Limiter to "VM" in NAT. I opened the project again, it was funny to found that the name of the VM-Comp/Limiter and the subcat shown in nebula was still the same as original but when I inserted another nebula, it shew up a new name and different subcat.......

I believe that neb program loads according to their original name which seems not allowed to edit in NAT3....

Interesting. My only remaining question would be: are we using a second program number (as I recall there are a limited number available overall although that number is somewhat high, though that was from quite a long time ago, Core I I think, maybe it's not true anymore) when we make a new program name? Are there now so many program numbers available that it doesn't matter?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby himhui » Thu May 12, 2011 2:58 pm

ngarjuna wrote:
himhui wrote:Hi RJHollins,

Interesting. My only remaining question would be: are we using a second program number (as I recall there are a limited number available overall although that number is somewhat high, though that was from quite a long time ago, Core I I think, maybe it's not true anymore) when we make a new program name? Are there now so many program numbers available that it doesn't matter?

Yes, there was a limit of 1,000 before even in CoreII engine but it was updated to 10,0000 (if I remember correctly)a year ago.... Program number may change if we add new one to the library. Some will remain unchanged, I guess it depends on what the name of the program is.
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
himhui
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 12, 2011 3:28 pm

himhui wrote:Yes, there was a limit of 1,000 before even in CoreII engine but it was updated to 10,0000 (if I remember correctly)a year ago.... Program number may change if we add new one to the library. Some will remain unchanged, I guess it depends on what the name of the program is.

Oh nice!

So just one more question now (I can just try to test this later if nobody knows or has tried it yet):
Hypothetical situation where I
1. Change the name of a program, program #xxx called Console-Matic is now program #nnn called Awesome-O-Console
2. insert Nebula, load program #nnn called Awesome-O-Console
3. Save project
4. Rebuild computer entirely, completely reinstall Nebula (including program libraries) from default installers
5. Load project. Does it still understand that #nnn (which it would not see in its library) is actually #xxx (which it does see)?

I think what Giancarlo is telling us is that Nebula always uses the "real" names (which I'm guessing are the filenames, another reason to never ever rename them) and, as such, any renaming wouldn't matter even in the hypothetical above.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Working with Nebula