Login

Library: naming and management

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Library: naming and management

Postby apollo soul » Thu May 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Is there a way to rename the programs? I understand why devs don't often use name of original gear, but their names aren't helping me any at mixdown time, so I'd like to rename them.

Also, is there a way to set-up a different folder hierarchy? Right now, there are a number filed where I would choose differently. I have enough now that it would be helpful to make my own folders and sort them as it makes sense to me and my workflow.

thx
apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Library: naming and management

Postby apollo soul » Sat May 07, 2011 1:23 am

Someone must have a take on this.

I have nearly 700 programs that are not organized the way I would like. Some have defaulted to incorrect positions, some have created redundant folders, and many have names that are meaningless to me.

I don't want to mess anything up, so I'm asking first:

Can I just rename them and the corresponding vectors?

How do I choose what subfolder they are in?

mac au
apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III

Postby giancarlo » Sat May 07, 2011 3:52 am

it's possible but in windows. Nat allows that, and there is an utility written from zab which creates how many nebulas as you want with a custom preset organization
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby apollo soul » Sat May 07, 2011 4:30 am

So... does that mean it's NOT possible on a mac?
apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III

Postby giancarlo » Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 am

you should edit categories and names manually in nebula.. it's a nightmare
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby apollo soul » Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm

OK.

Having 700 programs with many misfiled or in redundant folders... and most having names that mean nothing to me...

... is no picnic either though.

So, if I am willing to spend some time:

Can I do the names by just changing the file name for the prog, vector, and xml files? Just the prog and vector?

Is the ability to change the folder in the xml somewhere?
apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III

Postby ngarjuna » Tue May 10, 2011 7:11 pm

apollo soul wrote:OK.

Having 700 programs with many misfiled or in redundant folders... and most having names that mean nothing to me...

... is no picnic either though.

So, if I am willing to spend some time:

Can I do the names by just changing the file name for the prog, vector, and xml files? Just the prog and vector?

Is the ability to change the folder in the xml somewhere?

I know nothing about just editing the XML files but what Giancarlo is suggesting would involve going into Nebula, using the PROG page -> Edit and then from there you can edit both the name and category of a program (remember to save your changes). The nightmare, I would imagine, is that you'd have to do this for all your programs individually.

I think Nebula Renderer (which is now a different name I think) might be trying to add (or may have already added) re-categorizing and re-naming to their software; that might be a good alternative if that works (I'm not sure if it does or not, though).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue May 10, 2011 9:23 pm

NO.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
RME UFX | PS Lyra2 | SD USBPre2
VM U15 | VM W10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby apollo soul » Wed May 11, 2011 9:32 pm

ngarjuna wrote:I know nothing about just editing the XML files but what Giancarlo is suggesting would involve going into Nebula, using the PROG page -> Edit and then from there you can edit both the name and category of a program (remember to save your changes). The nightmare, I would imagine, is that you'd have to do this for all your programs individually.

I think Nebula Renderer (which is now a different name I think) might be trying to add (or may have already added) re-categorizing and re-naming to their software; that might be a good alternative if that works (I'm not sure if it does or not, though).

Well if that's all, then hat's no nightmare. I was going to have to do them all individually anyway... since I want to go through and give them names that mean something to me and follow my hierarchies.

I guess I'll look at that and see if it renames the prog and vector files for me, etc... and what my options are for file structure.
apollo soul
User Level III
User Level III

Postby ngarjuna » Wed May 11, 2011 9:39 pm

apollo soul wrote:
ngarjuna wrote:I know nothing about just editing the XML files but what Giancarlo is suggesting would involve going into Nebula, using the PROG page -> Edit and then from there you can edit both the name and category of a program (remember to save your changes). The nightmare, I would imagine, is that you'd have to do this for all your programs individually.

Well if that's all, then hat's no nightmare. I was going to have to do them all individually anyway... since I want to go through and give them names that mean something to me and follow my hierarchies.

I guess I'll look at that and see if it renames the prog and vector files for me, etc... and what my options are for file structure.

I'm pretty sure you cannot (should not) change the file names; the programs (N2P) are coded to refer to specific vector filenames. Don't worry about the files, that's supposed to be "behind the scenes" anyway. What you want to adjust is all inside of Nebula (the categories and program names).

If that renaming process doesn't seem too daunting then I believe (right now) that is the best (and maybe only?) way to accomplish it. Personally, I have too many programs loaded to consider that; I'm going to wait until there's a faster/less manual solution to that problem (but I agree, the inconsistencies in category organization really bug me personally).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Working with Nebula