Login

Change the PC or just add a new Video card?

Tips & tricks, working results, technical support

Change the PC or just add a new Video card?

Postby burak » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:53 pm

My system is a core2 duo (1.80Ghz each core) with 2 GB RAM WinXP and it works without a hiccup (when I don't stress it) but I also would like to be able to open many instances of Nebula, so I'm at the crossroads; one path would be a new PC with Win& 64 bit with more RAM and CPU power, but the downside will be transferring all the software (bunch of C&R stuff, StevenSlate drums, superior drums, addictive drums, IK Tracks3 etc...) and of course Nebula :)
Then also hoping that all my hardware will work properly with the new PC, DIGI 002R, MOTU 828, TC konnekt6 and Line6 stuff.
So I thought maybe I'll pop in a Video card and try this CUDA driver.
I looked up some Videocards at the newegg, there are some real bargains there.
I would like get some opinions from fellow nebula users, especially about the CUDA performance and any recommendations for video cards :)
burak
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Change the PC or just add a new Video card?

Postby Grim » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 am

I found that ram was the limiting factor with my 32 bit system (quad core 2.4) so not sure you'll see as much improvement in instance counts as you'd like from Cuda.
Even increasing your memory may not make that much difference because of the 32 bit useage limitations.

Try to work out if Ram or CPU is your current bottleneck by checking windows task manager performance meters while loading multiple Nebulas until you get problems....the ram limit on my sytem was only around 1.7Gb & then next Nebula instance would cause problems. It will depend very much what programs you are using how quickly you reach ram limit.

Just started setting up my new 64 bit system so afraid I can't comment yet on improvements....It's an expensive upgrade so I'm hoping it will be great but who knows!
Grim

Postby burak » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 am

Thank you, I hope, you get great performance improvement with your 64 bit system.
Then let us know about its specs, because eventually I will get one too, perhaps around Christmas time.
I guess, I will get the card now, because it will help me save some RAM as well, because the video from motherboard shares about 256 MB of RAM, by getting a decent 512MB videocard, I will get better picture and more RAM, and if I can figure out the CUDA, it will be icing in the cake :)
burak
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby scottkane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:05 am

definately if you 're covered with 64 bit use them, i suggest new system based on the new intel technology i5 or i7 i7 has 6 or 8 cores with big cache! Actualy the best processors right now! ram will be needed DDR 3, including new mother board, so a motherboard, a cpu, and 3 rams would coved you completely for at least 5 years from now and in future

about graphic cards, a good nvidia with as mutch ram on it as possible sounds good, and its not mutch epxensive
Cheers!!!
- graphics portfolio - music -
scottkane
User Level X
User Level X

Postby himhui » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:46 am

Powerful CPU and large amount of ram in 64bit OS benifits for nebula. i7 920 with 12G ram can open up to 70 intances in a pure 64bit enviroment and it works stablely with 40-50 intances. Cuda is a bonus, as for 9800/GTS 250, you may add 5-6 instances of nebula reverb to a project. It really depends on the budget you are gointg to invest..... ;)
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.29 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Return to Working with Nebula